Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Quesh Huttball Pit

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Quesh Huttball Pit
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
03.10.2014 , 08:28 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
The most brutal game in the Galaxy is back! Find out what makes Huttball on Quesh deadlier than before.

Read More
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Deadsanto
03.10.2014 , 09:56 AM | #2
Looks great!
"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

LtGeneralGezlin
03.10.2014 , 10:06 AM | #3
I've never played Huttball before, but... That arena looks fun!
CE Owner - The Gallifreyan Legacy - Squad 238 Tester
60 Gunslinger, 50 Commando, 50 Sentinel, 57 Shadow.
50 Operative, 18 Mercenary, 60 Marauder, 57 Juggernaut, 50 Sorcerer.

Ugolino
03.10.2014 , 10:16 AM | #4
Looks even more awful than regular Huttball. Please don't add this pile of junk to ranked.

KeyboardNinja
03.10.2014 , 10:29 AM | #5
Sniper on the pipe = game over, especially with their new defensive buffs. The only classes which even have a prayer of countering that situation are shadow/assassin tanks and vanguards/powertechs, since stun + pull is really the only option. I recognize that it's very tenuous to get to that point, but 8v8s are chaotic enough that I have little doubt that most competent snipers will be able to pull it off.

I realize the health pot on the pipe seems like a good idea, but it is basically the nail in the coffin to non-sniper classes for this map. At least if it's not up there, the counter to a pipe sniper can be "a lot of ranged DPS".
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

Anubiran
03.10.2014 , 10:44 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ugolino View Post
Looks even more awful than regular Huttball. Please don't add this pile of junk to ranked.
You Sir really know ranked. Keyword "only arenas".

But as a big fan of Huttball. It looks indeed awesome. And i like that the mobility advantage jugs and maras normally had are now with the grappling things a bit more even.

EzioMessi
03.10.2014 , 10:55 AM | #7
That.... is an amazing Huttball pit Bioware. I really hope I can resubscribe by 2.7 or 2.7.1 so I get to see this.
Jung Ma - The Assassino Legacy <Dark Legion Empire>
Aetios - Level 55 Sentinel

CmdrShpd
03.10.2014 , 10:57 AM | #8
I don't generally care of Huttball, but I will definitely give this a shot!

03.10.2014 , 11:20 AM | #9
HUTTBALL IS THE BEST. this looks really good too but i agree with some of the people before me who said a sniper/slinger on the pipe = game over, they should change it a bit.

AlexModny
03.10.2014 , 11:25 AM | #10 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Sniper on the pipe = game over, especially with their new defensive buffs. The only classes which even have a prayer of countering that situation are shadow/assassin tanks and vanguards/powertechs, since stun + pull is really the only option. I recognize that it's very tenuous to get to that point, but 8v8s are chaotic enough that I have little doubt that most competent snipers will be able to pull it off.

I realize the health pot on the pipe seems like a good idea, but it is basically the nail in the coffin to non-sniper classes for this map. At least if it's not up there, the counter to a pipe sniper can be "a lot of ranged DPS".
I saw this sentiment being posted last Friday but decided (okay, Musco told me ) to wait until the blog went out before sharing my thoughts on the "snipers on the pipe" (great band name btw).

The center of Quesh Pit is an apples to apples comparison to the center of the original Huttball. In the center of both maps are wide open areas with little in the means of LoS. Take the original Huttball for example, to LoS someone you'd have to leave the center area or play coy around the ball stand. There are no other LoS blockers in the area at all and in addition, snipers and other ranged classes usually choose to setup on the walkways around this center area to rain hot death upon anyone picking up the ball or otherwise in the center area. This is just like the center platform in Quesh although taken to the extreme and hectic because it is closer to the endzone.

So whichever Huttball you are playing, you will see ranged classes go for the high ground and get into advantageous positions. We like how this plays as it makes the center of the map a very important place to hold, a mini-battle as part of a bigger strategy of moving the ball forward. It lets your team move the ball by putting pressure on chasers and it allows you to slow down the enemy ball carriers. Right now we feel from extensive in-house playtests and the little amount of gameplay seen on PTS we are happy with this aspect of the map. HOWEVER! Nothing is set in stone and we will consider all options at our disposal before making a call if something needs to change so please keep the feedback coming and we will discuss it.

I will state again (from the blog just posted) that the design goal of Quesh Huttball was to "create a fresh experience but [one that] also keeps the same thrill and nail biting moments associated with Huttball intact!" I feel we have done this with Quesh Huttball Pit and looking forward to seeing how yall enjoy it, develop new strats for it and squee with elation when it comes up in the queue.

Please continue with the constructive comments and feedback on all things Quesh Huttball Pit!

Cheers!
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]