Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

Soul_of_Flames
03.07.2014 , 07:34 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Sangrar View Post
lets see, the HK quest chain has to be run at least once to get him, the gree event sphere speeder you got to do the gree event and grind you A** off for (or get lucky with a rare drop from Xenoanalyst), same with the infected mounts of the rakghoul event, also there is that miner speeder from the kdy rep vendor, as well as class companions which you got to do the story for, also there is grinding for nightmare level pve gear and for ranked pvp gear which takes a lot to work for, and probably a few other things I am missing
Exactly!

When Oricon first came out I grinded that place every single day on multiple toons so I could earn enough rep to get the black/red dye module schematic. That was my driving force behind doing those dailies besides collecting basic comms and earning credits, of course.

But the thing is that stuff goes away. You get it and then you're left wanting to play more. Where as there is a constant stream of freely obtainable stuff on the CM monthly. It's drowned out. And not only that, but the stuff you DO earn in game has better and nicer versions available on the CM. If even a tiny handful of the stuff on the CM was put into mission rewards for say beating a world boss or something, that would be awesome.

Also, to the people who are saying that the CM is the game's lifeline. I know, I've addressed that in multiple posts in this thread. But you also need to consider how the CM produces revenue. The CM's main source of income is cartel packs. You don't know what you're going to get from them. So if they took 1 single item from a pack and put into the game as a reward for doing some content, how would you measure the impact that has on revenue? People don't buy CM stuff directly. They buy packs. 1 pack or 30 packs. One item is not going to make a difference unless its like the only likeable item that is available from the pack.

SimplyCooL
03.07.2014 , 07:34 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Yes yes, you caution me against using 'fact' in my post and here you are doing the same thing. You speak for yourself and no one else. Same as me.
I speak, from exp., people's post and what ive seen of these very threads lots of times. Why would i speak for myself, on a matter i care nothing about, you silly man. Ive never done high-end PvP , HM PVE and many other similar activities , so potential rewards would never benefit me.

However that doesn't not change the fact that, MMO gamers in general like to earn stuff by playing the game. They need reason to do that high level content, or any content for that matter. Participating in something and being good in something, should be rewarded with unique exclusive stuff. People dont like P2W. And i agree with that assessment.

MY OPINION HERE:In general adding more rewards for varying activities, even ones i don't participate in, is better, than keeping those behind a pay wall. (Be that a credit, or coin one.) It keeps people playing, the actual game.
This is a Bioware game. Bioware does story very well. If you do not want story, this is not the game for you. - KawaiiAngel
- Oh cool.I HAVE been cloned! Rereral link http://www.swtor.com/r/Bngqgm Its a win/win for both, if you care about free stuff.

TheSupaCoopa
03.07.2014 , 07:39 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by SimplyCooL View Post
Well, keep laughing Chuckles, but most would prefer obtaining items organically. You know by playing, rather than, wasting time in front of the GTN.

And while i have given you, that all manner of side activities, are "playing the game" Playing the Auction House, is something else entirely. Probably the only activity, that has ever really bored me in MMOs, all kinds of grinding included.
Grinding is a part of MMOs and RPGs in general. Deal with it.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

SimplyCooL
03.07.2014 , 07:41 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post
Deal with what. The GTN bothers me, especially after the CM released. Grinding doesn't. Perhaps, i misspelled.
This is a Bioware game. Bioware does story very well. If you do not want story, this is not the game for you. - KawaiiAngel
- Oh cool.I HAVE been cloned! Rereral link http://www.swtor.com/r/Bngqgm Its a win/win for both, if you care about free stuff.

SimplyCooL
03.07.2014 , 07:42 PM | #45
Yep, i did....

Soul_of_Flames
03.07.2014 , 07:53 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post
That's the problem. Freely obtained stuff isn't grinding. It's instant gratification. This is at the expense of actual gameplay.

CosmicKat
03.07.2014 , 08:01 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Soul_of_Flames View Post
That's the problem. Freely obtained stuff isn't grinding. It's instant gratification. This is at the expense of actual gameplay.
Don't waste your time.

Challenge, risk and reward are no longer things important to a game.... at least till Bioware changes their mind and adds it, then it will be a great thing.

You know, just like "sandbox" features which were useless and a waste of money earlier this week, but are now the greatest thing since sliced Ewok since Bioware announced the addition of more sandbox features.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

TravelersWay
03.07.2014 , 08:05 PM | #48
The point of playing a game is to have fun. What constitutes as fun is different for every person. I have fun in games that offer me various options to acquiring any particular item:

1) "normal" gameplay
2) in game credits through an Auction House, Vendors, and Players (but it should never be just one of those options).
3) a cash shop

I work for a living so I can support my family, keep a roof over my head, and enjoy playing games. I should never feel like I have to work to get anything in a game. The content I play in a game is content that I find fun playing - not because there is some nifty reward at the end. I constantly re-run repeatable content in this game not because of the rewards at the end (which are often useless to me at that point, even on the first run), but because that content gives me pleasure.

Ultimately, gamers need to face the facts. The gaming industry is Big Business. Even the indie scene, for all the innocent youth and high moral ideals just boils down to trying to make money with games. The gaming industry is still relatively young - only about 30-odd years old at this point, so it still has a lot to learn from industries that have been around for much longer - like the retail industry. Thus far, it has shown signs of growing and maturing, and thusly, the even younger MMO genre has as well.

The Age of the Catasser is over. The Era of the Poopsocker has ended. The days of the PKer are past. This is the 21st Century of gaming and the 21st Century of the MMO genre. There will always be a place for the niche - Eve bears that out. We have been witness to a paradigm shift in the business model of the MMO. Those that refuse to accept the change will be left behind to find a new hobby to enjoy. Those that embrace it will help the genre grow and mature further. The Subscription based model is not going away completely. Also with that, people either don't know, or conveniently forget that the Free to Play model has been around just as long (if not longer) than the sub-based model. There are games that launched F2P in the late 90's that are still going strong today.

It is only because of the efforts of companies like Sony, Blizzard, and Origin Systems that the gaming community became convinced that you needed a subscription in order to produce an enjoyable MMO. That has never been the case, and we are now seeing the majority of the gaming community realizing that fact. Credit has to go to ArenaNet with the original Guild Wars for bucking the trend, and opening the eyes of gamers to the thriving Free to Play market. As a community, we are still not there yet - as evidenced by opinions and threads similar to this across all gaming outlets, but as I said, the industry is maturing and we are learning along with it. The hybrid Freemium model is the future of the genre. It offers the best of both worlds when done correctly. Sure, there will be mis-steps along the way, but that is all part of the learning process. Again, gamers have a choice. Either embrace the maturity and the future of the industry and help it grow in the correct direction or allow it to pass them by, continue living in the past, and ultimately go the way of the Dodo.
Character Page with music and quest lists
Legacy Skills Suggestion to eliminate the need for Legacy Datacrons
This is not a referral link because I am not a needy whore,
but there may be a Cantina Code!

Clarian
03.07.2014 , 08:07 PM | #49
Freely obtained stuff isn't grinding. It's instant gratification. This is at the expense of actual gameplay.
Not at all. It isn't the instant gratification of, y'know, saving the senator, or destroying the super-weapon or whatever.

I mean...Luke's motivation to confront Vader wasn't to get a new belt.

Vandicus
03.07.2014 , 08:13 PM | #50
Cosmetics can be churned out way faster than actual gameplay. Plus the people who make the mounts aren't the same people who make the warzones and operations.

If you consider cosmetics themselves to be gameplay, its about a year and a half late to be bringing up that objection. When the CM was first brought up it was made clear that the CM would sell cosmetics, and subscribers would keep(and hopefully gain more of) content. There wasn't substantial complaint at the time(people were rather more concerned about how f2p would affect things like lag), so that's how things went ahead. As long as its cosmetics being sold on the CM, Bioware's kept true to the stance they've had on it since it was announced.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!