Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

Reno_Tarshil
03.07.2014 , 06:17 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by SimplyCooL View Post
CM=FUN...... Confusion:Please elaborate further!
Before I left in July of 2012, I had just got done grinding warzones to get the War Hero's Eliminator's chestguard for my Merc, which back then was a mighty endeavor for anyone pvping as a merc. (We were huge walking targets and easy kills)

I had did this because I was trying to make my merc look like Boba Fett and when I finally got the chest it didn't provide the desired result I had hoped for and after having scoured all over for Green and Red moddable gear, I pretty much quit in frustration.

When I returned after youring Pandaria and growing tired of WoW after 5 years of playing it, I had a craving for the fun I had in SW:TOR and I gave it a try again discovering the Cartel Market and the wonderous thing known as Adaptive gear. New Packs meant new armor sets and new armor sets lead to new rp ideas and new rp ideas lead to me doing the republic side which I had only experienced the Knight story before I quit.

If the CM didn't come out and we were still stuck to class specific armor, I wouldn't be here right now.

So that's how the CM made the game fun again for me.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs

Infernixx
03.07.2014 , 06:17 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Soul_of_Flames View Post
I don't care about getting cosmetic stuff for free. I'm bringing into question the divide between gameplay and the rewards it gives.

There isn't a point to playing the game when everything anyone ever wants is just a few $$$ away.

People will play longer if they had some of the cartel market exclusive items as quest rewards or just rewards for completing some hard to beat achievements. Give the players something to do besides throw money at the screen.

I actually do the same thing. But you don't think that it feels shallow? These items are pretty cool and they are just passed around like candy.
I don't understand what the problem is. Cool cosmetic gear, it's good that it's not super hard to get.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

JediMasterSLC
03.07.2014 , 06:19 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
No, seriously, it seems very much like you want cosmetic stuff without paying for it and that's just silly.
Must not have been playing games since before the era of microtransanctions. Our sub money should be paying for all this CM stuff. And by that I mean it should be attainable via actually playing the game, if you're picking up what I'm laying down.
55s: POT5- Kakarrotx-Sent, Paraguss-Sorc, Brawlly-Jug, Meleehealer-Mara
Bastion- Greenn-Mando, Radishz-Scoundrel, Trunkks-Shadow, Burdok-Sniper, Lettucce-PT

Infernixx
03.07.2014 , 06:23 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Must not have been playing games since before the era of microtransanctions. Our sub money should be paying for all this CM stuff. And by that I mean it should be attainable via actually playing the game, if you're picking up what I'm laying down.
I remember 'this' game before the CM came along. If you were a Sorc, you had 'one' type of look and screw you if you wanted to look different. Same thing with BH and every other basic class.

And it's cool and all that you think you should be able to get all kinds of extra stuff for $15 a month. It's a laughable opinion, but hey, it's yours, right? Go on with your bad self.

See, I'm laughing because I get 'everything' I want from the CM via the GTN for credits. So when people rage about it, I just laugh.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

SimplyCooL
03.07.2014 , 06:23 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
Before I left in July of 2012, I had just got done grinding warzones to get the War Hero's Eliminator's chestguard for my Merc, which back then was a mighty endeavor for anyone pvping as a merc. (We were huge walking targets and easy kills)

I had did this because I was trying to make my merc look like Boba Fett and when I finally got the chest it didn't provide the desired result I had hoped for and after having scoured all over for Green and Red moddable gear, I pretty much quit in frustration.

When I returned after youring Pandaria and growing tired of WoW after 5 years of playing it, I had a craving for the fun I had in SW:TOR and I gave it a try again discovering the Cartel Market and the wonderous thing known as Adaptive gear. New Packs meant new armor sets and new armor sets lead to new rp ideas and new rp ideas lead to me doing the republic side which I had only experienced the Knight story before I quit.

If the CM didn't come out and we were still stuck to class specific armor, I wouldn't be here right now.

So that's how the CM made the game fun again for me.
So it wasnt the Market, itself. So much as the gear, that could have been obtainable anywhere else, if it wasn't restricted to gamble packs. Not seeing an argument for CM, here. Those items could have just as easily been added as space combat rewards or smt.
This is a Bioware game. Bioware does story very well. If you do not want story, this is not the game for you. - KawaiiAngel

- Oh cool.I HAVE been cloned!

kirosagi
03.07.2014 , 06:25 PM | #16
It truly is I for one would rather pay one monthly fee and get everything.,but when it comes to cm they would rather have a game update based on that rather than content. That is why i am letting my sub lapse. I do not care if this SW branded or not. the sw mmo died when SWG died. EA will not give this game much attention as long as people keep buying into it. So i say let them shut the servers down

SimplyCooL
03.07.2014 , 06:28 PM | #17
I remember 'this' game before the CM came along. If you were a Sorc, you had 'one' type of look and screw you if you wanted to look different. Same thing with BH and every other basic class.

And it's cool and all that you think you should be able to get all kinds of extra stuff for $15 a month. It's a laughable opinion, but hey, it's yours, right? Go on with your bad self.

See, I'm laughing because I get 'everything' I want from the CM via the GTN for credits. So when people rage about it, I just laugh.
Well, keep laughing Chuckles, but most would prefer obtaining items organically. You know by playing, rather than, wasting time in front of the GTN.

And while i have given you, that all manner of side activities, are "playing the game" Playing the Auction House, is something else entirely. Probably the only activity, that has ever really bored me in MMOs, all kinds of grinding included.
This is a Bioware game. Bioware does story very well. If you do not want story, this is not the game for you. - KawaiiAngel

- Oh cool.I HAVE been cloned!

horrorfaneightys
03.07.2014 , 06:29 PM | #18
I really don't get the hate towards the Cartel Market. You can virtually everything from it for credits on the GTN. And as stated several times, it's just cosmetic. There's also lots of gear that drops in game so you don't even have to buy any of it. It just adds more choice to people's looks so we can look unique, and helps to keep the game profitable.
"There is no heavier burden than a great potential" ~ Linus, Peanuts
Morga-dar Level 54 Assassin Li'lu-fei Level 54 Sentinel
Xaniata-kee Level 53 Sniper

Soul_of_Flames
03.07.2014 , 06:30 PM | #19
I do the exact same thing. In fact, I think I've paid a grand total of $20 in the cartel market since it launched. But you're completely missing the point.

I understand the CM is the lifeline of this game. The revenue it makes pushes this game forward. Fine. I get it. But what about the regular game? At least a handful of the stuff that's on the CM should be available through normal in game means to give players incentive to play the game and earn what they want.

Quote: Originally Posted by horrorfaneightys View Post
I really don't get the hate towards the Cartel Market. You can virtually everything from it for credits on the GTN. And as stated several times, it's just cosmetic. There's also lots of gear that drops in game so you don't even have to buy any of it. It just adds more choice to people's looks so we can look unique, and helps to keep the game profitable.
Paying money for it isn't the point. It's the ease of access that's the problem.

There is no reason to play when you can just pay.

Reno_Tarshil
03.07.2014 , 06:31 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by SimplyCooL View Post
So it wasnt the Market, itself. So much as the gear, that could have been obtainable anywhere else, if it wasn't restricted to gamble packs. Not seeing an argument for CM, here. Those items could have just as easily been added as space combat rewards or smt.
I'm not going to waste time trying to explain why I have fun with the CM since you clearly only want to twist it into another CM Hate post.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs