Changes to Bolster in 2.7

TaitWatson

Hi Everyone!

While these changes are not currently on the PTS (they will be patched in at a later date), there are some changes coming to the Bolster system in Game Update 2.7 that I wanted to let you know about:

• Corrected an issue that would cause combinations of lower level mods (such as the popular 46 blue mods) and higher level color crystals (including those from the Cartel Market) to result in a higher Bolster bonus than intended.
  • Corrected an issue that prevented weapon damage ranges from being properly Bolstered. This will result in an increase of damage coming from abilities that deal weapon damage.
  • Bolster has been updated to account for the new tiers of gear, and now provides additional expertise to elder game PvE gear. Bolster still caps at a level slightly below Obroan gear.
  • Characters who do not wield weapons with Expertise mods and crystals will now be capped at 1936 expertise (instead of the full 2018).

-tw

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there a new tier of PVP gear when you were asked by your customers not to make one?

This is the last day of my sub and I will never be renewing due to this and various other things.

But when there is a giant thread on your front page that you INTENTIONALLY ignore because you KNOW FOR AN ABSOLUTE FACT that you are doing the opposite of what your customers what, I can no longer support you.

Edited by Smuglebunny

Why is there a new tier of PVP gear when you were asked by your customers not to make one?

This is the last day of my sub and I will never be renewing due to this and various other things.

But when there is a giant thread on your front page that you INTENTIONALLY ignore because you KNOW FOR AN ABSOLUTE FACT that you are doing the opposite of what your customers what, I can no longer support you.

They know for an absolute fact that a few people in the community don't want a new tier, but you are delusional if you think those represent what "the customers" want.

Hi Everyone!

• Characters who do not wield weapons with Expertise mods and crystals will now be capped at 1936 expertise (instead of the full 2018).

-tw

Is that in just one weapon or both? If only one weapon does have expertise will the cap be higher, or is it auto set to 1936?

[*]Characters who do not wield weapons with Expertise mods and crystals will now be capped at 1936 expertise (instead of the full 2018).

-tw

I use a purple power crystal but all other mods are PvP and my offhand uses an Expertise crystal. I've accepted the -41 as a cost of vanity, but would I be stuck at 1936 too?

The 1936 seems to just account for the differences in crystals (2018-1936=82 i.e. what two crystals would give). Is that what's going on? That would mean Bolster wouldn't have any effect on me at all, but I'm not sure from the note.

They know for an absolute fact that a few people in the community don't want a new tier, but you are delusional if you think those represent what "the customers" want.

Not to mention the fact that the content was long in development before it was announced.

Tait,

While I am now backing off the cliff somewhat, I still got one foot off. These changes STILL don't answer the underlying question. Why is PvP gear and bolster in the same enviroment?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read these changes like this. Outiside of a few MH/OH issues that were corrected, the bolster floor has been raised again. Every time this happens, you marginalized PvP gear to a point where you can't justify the cost for it. And it still doesn't fix raid gear in WZs, or PvP gear being way OP in OW.

Basically, now, you only need PvP weapons and relics to get max EXP? This is another bandaid in my eyes. I welcome any retort.

Edited by L-RANDLE

I use a purple power crystal but all other mods are PvP and my offhand uses an Expertise crystal. I've accepted the -41 as a cost of vanity, but would I be stuck at 1936 too?

The 1936 seems to just account for the differences in crystals (2018-1936=82 i.e. what two crystals would give). Is that what's going on? That would mean Bolster wouldn't have any effect on me at all, but I'm not sure from the note.

It is done to equalize for +20 bonus damage from weapon combinations and is actually correct.

[*]Bolster has been updated to account for the new tiers of gear

-tw

Another new set of gear is NOT something PvPers wanted Tait. Players grind out gear because they NEED to to stay competitive, not as "content". Doing this continually resets PvPers to square one...the next grind is not something many of us plays for. This does nothing but encourage me to look for other games to grind crap in because I'm never at a point where I'm done grinding gear with this game...ever...

The only person delusional is you. No one wants to grind another set of gear, and if there is one person that does I question his purpose in life.

Tait,

While I am now backing off the cliff somewhat, I still got one foot off. These changes STILL don't answer the underlying question. Why is PvP gear and bolster in the same enviroment?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read these changes like this. Outiside of a few MH/OH issues that were corrected, the bolster floor has been raised again. Every time this happens, you marginalized PvP gear to a point where you can't justify the cost for it. And it still doesn't fix raid gear in WZs, or PvP gear being way OP in OW.

Basically, now, you only need PvP weapons and relics to get max EXP? This is another bandaid in my eyes. I welcome any retort.

PvP gear and bolster will coexist until another expansion at least. It would require a entire revamp of all endgame gearing both pvp and pve to accommodate your system, and devs don't like to talk about future plans.

As long as you reach 1936 instead of 2018 it will make little difference. I have been running 1936 for ages and notice no difference from running 2018. You are near enough to the max pvp stats to benefit from having say power crystals. If you go lower because they lowered your cap that will become a problem as it will force people to use those lame expertise crystals which I don't want, again vanity.

While I am fairly certain that you will be happily posting on this forum for months to come, I still want to congratulate you on your planned frugality :D

Anyway, Bioware have been pretty frank about their intentions for the separate item spirals in PvE and PvP (to paraphrase, "big one in PvE, small one in PvP"), and the way things are going, there still won't be a substantial issue. I for one am glad that the new tier hits at a point when I was just exceeding 50% Obroan sop things don't get stale.

Every MMO adds new tiers of gear from time to time. If you're going to cancel your sub to an MMO because they're adding a new tier, prepare to never play any MMO ever again.

As long as you reach 1936 instead of 2018 it will make little difference. I have been running 1936 for ages and notice no difference from running 2018. You are near enough to the max pvp stats to benefit from having say power crystals. If you go lower because they lowered your cap that will become a problem as it will force people to use those lame expertise crystals which I don't want, again vanity.

Dps is the same but dr and health bonus no. So pvp gear 2.7 is the best way.

Edited by Aetideus

What's the point of pvping if you have nothing to pvp for?

Tait,

Well, the main reason is to allow a new level 55 to continue playing PVP without suddenly being at a huge disadvantage, I don't see the need for level 55 PVE gear to have any viability in PVP, though.

Couldn't they simply give a free set of now-obsolete conqueror gear to everyone who just got to level 55? ;)

Edited by Mubrak

Another new set of gear is NOT something PvPers wanted Tait. Players grind out gear because they NEED to to stay competitive, not as "content". Doing this continually resets PvPers to square one...the next grind is not something many of us plays for. This does nothing but encourage me to look for other games to grind crap in because I'm never at a point where I'm done grinding gear with this game...ever...

Don't speak for all PVPers. I am a PVPer and I like gear resets, as long as they don't happen stupidly fast... which they haven't been. I have five or six characters with full conqueror gear and am slowly working on ranked gear for two. Having something else to grind for IS content because MMOs are generally about grinding. Some people like earning things, some people just want to deathmatch with gear having no value. Both are valid playstyles but neither one represents the entire PVP community.

Also, before you ask, the reason I like gear resets is because it resets all PVPers to square one. I get tired of being facerolled by premades in full minmaxed ranked gear. Gear never changing is only fun for the people in the top gear.

New tiers of gear are to be expected in themepark MMOs. The only games I can think of that have stagnant endgame with no gear progression are sandbox games and as these forums love to remind everyone, this game isn't a sandbox.

What's the point of pvping if you have nothing to pvp for?

^^^^ This. I lose interest in playing my PVP characters once they are fully geared. Now I have a reason to play them all again.

Edited by Beltane