Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Looks like a big point of TOR has been destroyed...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Looks like a big point of TOR has been destroyed...

Karkais
02.27.2014 , 11:58 AM | #61
There is a saying: "Everybody can act, few people can direct, and nobody can write."
Apparently this is true.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

Cuiwe
02.27.2014 , 07:00 PM | #62
2 questions with a sub question:

1. Are we talking about the Sith Empire or about the Sith?

If it's about the TSE, it doesn't matter as much. There have been plenty of empires that called various planets their homeworld. Now about the interesting part:

If it's about the Sith:

2. Are we talking about THE Sith(purebloods etc-the red skinned ones) or about the dark side users? The way I see it happen is the following:

Once upon time there was a heated discussion on a planet called Tython. It was about the potential of the force users and how one side didn't want to squander the potential and even wanted to "purify" the order. The leader of rebels was a Jedi master Rajivari. Although he didn't want to encourage the padawans to use the dark force, his forceful, direct ways of teaching did just that. Then the battle of Kaleth happened. After the Kaleth fel, their teachings spread around. This is how dark side users came to be. Later they become so powerful that they succeeded in capturing the planet Korriban and the indigenous species there-the Sith. Meanwhile the ******s nicked the name from the natives and called themselves the Sith. From which planet master Rajivari hailed is unknown. He could well be from Morriband and then the explanation would be:

->The origin of dark side users("the Sith") is Morriband. However if the following is true, then it sucks donkey balls:

->The origin of redskins(the Sith) is Morriband.

Just my thoughts.

DomiSotto
02.28.2014 , 09:58 PM | #64
Quote:
So he's going to mess up Tython too? Or should that be "Mython". Oh nice.
Fythond more like if the pattern on the keyboard is followed

JediMasterJamesS
03.01.2014 , 07:56 PM | #65
Quote:
Guided by the Force, Yoda travels to the heart of the galaxy. There, on the planet where he finds the origin of the Force, he must face difficult trials. Only upon passing them will the Sages deem him worthy of learning the deepest mysteries of the Force....

Heart of the galaxy? Origin of the Force. Wait...THAT'S TYTHON!! In the Bane Trilogy, it states that Tython was ravaged by some sort of dark power and was turned into a barren world strong in the dark side. Maybe when Tython went dark, the renamed it Moriband.
This is my Lightsaber. Remember what it looks like for when I run you though with it.

RDX-TWO
03.01.2014 , 11:02 PM | #66
Looks like they are trying real hard to destroy Star Wars by changing everything and the name of all EU characters, ppl that are familiar to EU will be disconnected with regards to what they have been reading and learned from EU for all those years when no movies came out and connection was from content that came from books. If they are starting to change everything it will make ppl very much disinterested with Star Wars and fell like all these books and games they have been a fan of will be no more the same and a big waist of time and a lost of connection.

DarthDymond
03.02.2014 , 04:20 AM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by RDX-TWO View Post
Looks like they are trying real hard to destroy Star Wars by changing everything and the name of all EU characters, ppl that are familiar to EU will be disconnected with regards to what they have been reading and learned from EU for all those years when no movies came out and connection was from content that came from books. If they are starting to change everything it will make ppl very much disinterested with Star Wars and fell like all these books and games they have been a fan of will be no more the same and a big waist of time and a lost of connection.
This is true for some fans, but they're also banking on the idea that clearing away everything and starting fresh will make it more accessible to new fans and give them a net gain. Truth is they're probably right, since a significant portion of the old fans might grumble and be annoyed at the reboot, but then still get into the new continuity anyways because it'll be the only Star Wars content available.

Fact of the matter is, in the grand scheme of things there aren't that many fans who will actually say: "No more Korriban? No more Yuuzhan Vong? This just doesn't feel like Star Wars anymore!" and leave the fandom. And I say that as a fan of the Vong and someone who thinks Korriban is tied to the very best parts of the EU.

On the Moraband topic itself, as someone who wants to see the existing continuity survive as long as it can (despite the writing being on the wall), I hope they end up saying Moraband is "a" Sith Homeworld, rather than "The" Sith Homeworld. Maybe make it the planet where Darth Ruin founded the New Sith Empire after the Fourth Great Schism. I'm pretty sure that era of the lore is pretty sparse and Moraband could be fit in fairly smoothly.
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

DmdShiva
03.02.2014 , 09:01 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
On the Moraband topic itself, as someone who wants to see the existing continuity survive as long as it can (despite the writing being on the wall), I hope they end up saying Moraband is "a" Sith Homeworld, rather than "The" Sith Homeworld. Maybe make it the planet where Darth Ruin founded the New Sith Empire after the Fourth Great Schism. I'm pretty sure that era of the lore is pretty sparse and Moraband could be fit in fairly smoothly.
It occurs to me that there is a chance to get the name chance reversed if enough people take every opportunity they get to play up an unfortunately-similar pronunciation and talk about Yoda going to the 'Sith homeworld of Moribund', and let the association with the connotations of 'moribund' poison the new name.

jaytdasme
03.02.2014 , 09:11 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Fairly obvious to assume that someone wanted to write Korriban and wrote "Moriband" instead, either because he or she is incompetent or the "M" and "K" on the keyboard are too close - for example - and said individual couldn't be bothered to fix it.

Maybe some more potent stuff was involved as well, at the sound of Led Zeppelin or Jefferson Airplane.
ROFL .. Fail.

May the force be with us all.
“Do or do not. There is no try.”

Darth_Haderach
03.04.2014 , 02:44 AM | #70
Korriban has been established in the lore for many years and a great amount of books, comics, card games, video games and other products refer to it as the Sith homeworld. In my opinion such a massive retcon would need a very serious reason to justify it otherwise it is an unnecessary compromising of heavily established canon.