Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where is this going ?

Beltane
03.02.2014 , 12:25 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by TravelersWay View Post
2) Waste of time and resources, though player housing was recently datamined. This is a themepark game, and the point of it is to go out and kill things, not sit around a ship sipping tea.

3a) Sandbox=Litterbox. I play and enjoy this game because it is a themepark. If I wanted to play in a sandbox, my daughter has one out in the backyard I can use for free. Like player housing, Implementing sandbox elements is a waste of time and resources better spent creating actual playable content..
I find posts like this so hilarious. I don't raid and I don't play GSF, yet I don't go around calling new raid and GSF content a waste of time and resources just because I don't like them.

A smart MMO will try to appeal to as many niches as possible by tossing out periodic bones to different playstyles. TOR has been decent at this so far and I will be shocked if they don't ultimately release some sort of housing.

People throw out sandbox without really knowing what it means. They oppose it on principle because they assume people want this to be SWG 2.0. Too bad I can name a half dozen themepark MMOs off the top of my head that have player housing. It's 2014, games don't have to be pure sandbox or pure themepark anymore. Even WoW is getting housing.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a waste of time and resources, ma'am.

(PS: For the people who like sandbox features like customizable housing, I can assure you that many, many hours of playable content can be found in them. That's like me saying that raids are not playable content because I don't like them.)

Master_Hitsugaya
03.02.2014 , 09:03 PM | #92
Since the game has added what 3 planets in 2 years makeb,cv-whatever it is and oricon and we can be sure at least 1 new planet this year.

Arkerus
03.02.2014 , 10:11 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Beltane View Post
I find posts like this so hilarious. I don't raid and I don't play GSF, yet I don't go around calling new raid and GSF content a waste of time and resources just because I don't like them.

A smart MMO will try to appeal to as many niches as possible by tossing out periodic bones to different playstyles. TOR has been decent at this so far and I will be shocked if they don't ultimately release some sort of housing.

People throw out sandbox without really knowing what it means. They oppose it on principle because they assume people want this to be SWG 2.0. Too bad I can name a half dozen themepark MMOs off the top of my head that have player housing. It's 2014, games don't have to be pure sandbox or pure themepark anymore. Even WoW is getting housing.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a waste of time and resources, ma'am.

(PS: For the people who like sandbox features like customizable housing, I can assure you that many, many hours of playable content can be found in them. That's like me saying that raids are not playable content because I don't like them.)
A smart MMO (or product in general) does NOT try to appeal to every corner of the market. That's a recipe for disaster. It means a product with a bunch of odds and ends as features but nothing really solid.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Master_Hitsugaya
03.02.2014 , 10:56 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
A smart MMO (or product in general) does NOT try to appeal to every corner of the market. That's a recipe for disaster. It means a product with a bunch of odds and ends as features but nothing really solid.
When I was I bible college( preaching class) and basically if you aim at everything you will hit nothing. Video games appeal to certain niches and that is where they make their money.

AlrikFassbauer
03.03.2014 , 04:51 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Master_Hitsugaya View Post
When I was I bible college( preaching class) and basically if you aim at everything you will hit nothing. Video games appeal to certain niches and that is where they make their money.
Until several years ago, video gaming was a niche in itself.
<S-key to victory> Because flying with s-foils is more fun.

We are the result of our experiences.

Toweleeeie
03.03.2014 , 05:16 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Master_Hitsugaya View Post
This is solid advice coming from a business selling the same over hyped ******** for 2000 years and still making a profit.
Combine Force Melt and Cauterize. Combine Defencive Forums and Defencive Roll. Call it a day.

hadoken
03.03.2014 , 06:35 AM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
Actually they really do, hence why you have PVE, PVP, raids, collecting pets and whatever else all these MMOs do. They want to try to tap into as many different playstyles as possible so they can expand their population. I mean just what exactly do you think GSF was about? Trying to add in a new feature that didn't exist to attract a different playerbase (the flight sim/xwing crowd). You can debate how well any one of these features stands out on their own based on how good the company is, but there is no doubt adding in as many different possible features as possible is intentional and a goal of theirs and just about every other MMO on the market (successful or not).

Seriously, WOW even put in pokemon battles their last xpac. You can't tell me that was just an addition to some other pre-existing playstyle in that game.