Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New to MMO's, is it normal that I often get killed if I don't use my healer..

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New to MMO's, is it normal that I often get killed if I don't use my healer..

jaytdasme
03.02.2014 , 02:27 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyx View Post
I'll add this to the discussion:

As a new player, you also picked one of the classes that is least forgiving to a new player.

1) Juggernaut/Guardian class is slow to mature: while you are past that threshold (usually the mid 40's), the class itself matures (a.k.a it gets its best skills) much later in its leveling game. This makes it much more difficult to get an overall feel for the classes function early on.
I beg to differ. Life is so much harder for a scoundrel/operative trying to get to 40, particularly if you aren't heal spec.
“Do or do not. There is no try.”

Elyx
03.02.2014 , 03:30 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by jaytdasme View Post
I beg to differ. Life is so much harder for a scoundrel/operative trying to get to 40, particularly if you aren't heal spec.
I could see that...my Operative and scoundrel i both leveled initially as healing...then as a hybrid, so i can't say from the perspective of a non healing spec.

But then again, that's why I said "one of" the least forgiving and in all honesty...I see them both as more difficult classes to level initially...the scoundrel/Op having a slight edge due to "some" healing ability....but losing in the comp category as they both get their healing comps very late...which is why i went a heal hybrid.

On the flip side....the juggernaut doesn't have an healing spec option at all.And the guardian has it even worse...his healing comp isn't had until the mid to late 30's. but either way they are both tough on new players.
"I just hit 50 and finished my class storyline, but I still haven't been able to decide which AC to choose. Leveling solo as a warrior wasn't difficult, so I kept putting off the decision.
Anyone else having the same problem? "~ lagerhat - And who says warriors are broke?

WSRB
03.02.2014 , 03:32 PM | #23
The problem is sitting in your chair: having a pocket healer worked as a giant shield that protected you from too many mistakes, which is how you learn to play. So that protection from your mistakes also meant that you wee robbed of learning opportunities.

A Sith Warrior gets a healing companion very early. It's easy to become dependant on that hand hold-y mechanic of having your pocket healer there and thus you haven't really learned basics like interrupts or moving out of the way of telegraphed attacks.

The simplest solution is to stop using Quinn until you can survive while using all of your other companions. Start with Pierce or Broonmark and let them take the damage for you while you do the killing. Then move on to using Vette and Jeassa and you'll be killing everything in sight within seconds.

Yes, you're going to get killed a lot. But you're also going to get alot better.

mokkh
03.03.2014 , 12:42 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by WSRB View Post
The problem is sitting in your chair: having a pocket healer worked as a giant shield that protected you from too many mistakes, which is how you learn to play. So that protection from your mistakes also meant that you wee robbed of learning opportunities.

A Sith Warrior gets a healing companion very early. It's easy to become dependant on that hand hold-y mechanic of having your pocket healer there and thus you haven't really learned basics like interrupts or moving out of the way of telegraphed attacks.

The simplest solution is to stop using Quinn until you can survive while using all of your other companions. Start with Pierce or Broonmark and let them take the damage for you while you do the killing. Then move on to using Vette and Jeassa and you'll be killing everything in sight within seconds.

Yes, you're going to get killed a lot. But you're also going to get alot better.
While I want to agree with you very much, I have to put in a few points of contention. The scope of companion utility is quite limited by the gear that they equip. If you honestly mean for someone to try and gear out all of their comps on their first toon solely as a means for combat training then I have to call shenanigans (it's just fun to say). Even with a healer there are plenty of encounters that REQUIRE the use of interrupts and aggro splitting. As a seasoned player, there are still some daunting encounters that I have to deal with since I don't twink out my healer comp (unless I just decide to use all 8 legacy abilities). I do (however) absolutely agree that getting killed makes you better.

To the op, the game gets much easier as you progress, when I start a new toon I get a ridiculous amount of companion bolstering due to 500-ish presence at creation and all of the legacy perks that are granted. Just remember: Do or do not, there is no try... and you'll be fine.