Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Swtor cinematics were better than the SW movies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Swtor cinematics were better than the SW movies

Tygranir
02.28.2014 , 03:04 PM | #21
I thought the Blur made cinematics were fantastic. Unfortunately, each one costs in the realm of 10 million for one that short. It would not be economical to make a series with that level of quality.
I am eating your canon, and pooping your immersion.

TUXs
02.28.2014 , 03:10 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Tygranir View Post
I thought the Blur made cinematics were fantastic. Unfortunately, each one costs in the realm of 10 million for one that short. It would not be economical to make a series with that level of quality.
Are you freaking serious on that estimate?
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Tygranir
02.28.2014 , 03:18 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Are you freaking serious on that estimate?
Indeed I am.
I am eating your canon, and pooping your immersion.

Khevar
02.28.2014 , 03:35 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Tygranir View Post
Indeed I am.
It seems quite high, but I suppose it's possibly due to EA being optimistic about the product in 2010 and willing to pay for overages.

These days, it's pretty common to see SFX hours using sub-contractors, and when the project goes over budget to say, "sorry, there's no more money, and we can't pay you what we owe until you finish the project anyway."

I would be surprised if someone could get away with charging 10 million for a trailer short like that today, even one as good as the ones Blur did. There are too many SFX houses desperate for work that will undercut each other to bloody shreds. Even ILM is feeling pressure.

chuuuuucky
02.28.2014 , 03:46 PM | #25
10 million is plausible. The return trailer is more than 6 minutes long. Movies like Wall-E had a budget of 180 million. So with that budget you could have made a more than 120 minute blockbuster.

Valmyas
02.28.2014 , 03:52 PM | #26
Personally I believe the best Star Wars animation/Battle scenes was done by Genndy Tartakovsky in his perspective of the clone wars.

Not as visually striking as say the intro cinema of SWTOR, what it does have is often missed by the average viewer.
Timing and perspective.

In that animated series he took the time to pace out every scene into a comprehensive view of the current situation.
Take the scene of the troopers sending in a strike team to take out the droids massive artillery canon.
Every part was laid out in a way where the viewer could understand what every character was doing.
Timing in each scene so that no matter if it flashed to the troopers or the battle droids, it was a clear sense of perspective into each situation.

I knew what the troopers were doing, why the droids wanted to drop them. And felt there was a progression in the actual battle itself.
All this was done with literally NO talking involved.

To me that is a series worth watching more than any other based on the facts mentioned above.

*Looks up at the building. Pauses. Looks over at a similar building. Flashes a hand signal over to 3 troopers who instantly leave in the direction given by the hand signal. Pauses. The strike team moves. End scene*
Perfect, no words.

TAke this verse the beginning battle of Revenge of the Sith. We were thrown into a massive space battle involving several fleets in mid combat. As a view I know the perspective was set on the Obi Wan and Anakin but detailing how the surrounding battle was materializing was a key point in building up the remaining story.
Shame that someone didn't say to Lucas "Slow down, lets set up this battle and make the view actually understand and care about its outcome."
Would have taking so little and added so much to the background story.

CosmicKat
02.28.2014 , 04:02 PM | #27
The phonebook is better than the Star Wars prequels.

Star Wars (the real one) is a classic that will be enjoyed 100 years from now.
ESB is also very good, but loses some points for being a "middle chapter" with no ending.
RotJ was a piece of crap, near scene by scene remake of the first movie. However, it was redeemed by the Phantom Menace, which was so phenomenally awful that it actually made RotJ look like art.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

CosmicKat
02.28.2014 , 04:11 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by chuuuuucky View Post
10 million is plausible. The return trailer is more than 6 minutes long. Movies like Wall-E had a budget of 180 million. So with that budget you could have made a more than 120 minute blockbuster.
Theatre quality CGI is a whole other ballgame from anything you'll ever see in a PC or console game. Photo-realism is far more time consuming and expensive.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

hadoken
02.28.2014 , 04:11 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
It seems quite high, but I suppose it's possibly due to EA being optimistic about the product in 2010 and willing to pay for overages.

These days, it's pretty common to see SFX hours using sub-contractors, and when the project goes over budget to say, "sorry, there's no more money, and we can't pay you what we owe until you finish the project anyway."

I would be surprised if someone could get away with charging 10 million for a trailer short like that today, even one as good as the ones Blur did. There are too many SFX houses desperate for work that will undercut each other to bloody shreds. Even ILM is feeling pressure.
On the contrary it still happens pretty regularly. See the one ESO contracted Blur to do. Their prices have not gone down.

You can see a small sample of their work recently here: http://www.blur.com/

Khevar
02.28.2014 , 04:19 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
On the contrary it still happens pretty regularly. See the one ESO contracted Blur to do. Their prices have not gone down.

You can see a small sample of their work recently here: http://www.blur.com/
Not that I'm disputing this, but how can you be so sure their prices have remained steady?

I've never dealt with Blur, but 3 other SFX houses that I have dealt with have gotten into heavy bidding wars over the last 2 years due to the proliferation of sub-sub-contracting on the super-cheap.