Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

First time tanking.

corjoad
02.20.2014 , 02:41 PM | #11
I just returned to the game OP, but it is the same in all mmos. Few people like to tank because you really have the most responsibility of anyone in the group. You have to lead, you have to hold aggro and you have to be well-geared.
Also you have to be prepared for being blamed when virtually anything goes wrong, even if you are doing everything right.

I would love to roll up a tanking Vanguard but am going to pass as I won't have the gear and I won't know the fights. Will stick to a dps or support class first time around and maybe do a tank second time around.

Good for you though, get the best gear you can for your level, hold aggro as best you can and learn as you go. If people don't like it, they can find a new tank or roll one themselves

tharbison
02.21.2014 , 02:24 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by cxten View Post

The three elites(/champions?) you were talking about are not a boss, but just some tough mobs to fight on the way to the last boss. Pulling three at a time is usually a wipe...

You should be able to pull just one at a time, or at most two. Wait for the walking ones to be close, and pull them separately, then try just pulling the nearest one, etc.
^this

Don't sweat it. We all make mistakes. You definitely need a thick skin to tank. People will complain no matter what.

JacksonMo
02.22.2014 , 09:19 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by nightsproull View Post
When they ask you why you didn't taunt, just say "Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!" Eventually they'll learn to play better, or learn to love dying.
I prefer "You spank it, You tank it!"

scarlet_magpie
02.28.2014 , 08:26 AM | #14
The fact that you are asking for advice means you will be fine.

Dak_fireraker
02.28.2014 , 09:13 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Zerican View Post
So i hit 24 on my powertech shield tech BH and i wanted to get some experience in tanking some so i qued up for a flashpoint

I am not really sure if I should continue down tanking path or not? Should I join a guild and only tank with guild mates and friends and not bother with random flash point tanking? Is it normal for the SWTOR community to act this way towards new players?

I really like playing defender roles in most games, the one who takes the hits but I am not really sure if SWTOR is the right community for me. I always thought low level like 24 is the point where you want to learn things about the role you want to do at endgame...or do i need to wait to max level to start tanking?
My main (Solstar) is a Tank & my 2nd (Sheetara) is a Healer. My advice to you is Don't Give Up. I learned tanking while leveling & it took awhile till I mastered everything, from being in the correct stance (in your case having the correct cell active), guarding (in your case Shielding) the Healer & efficiently using my single/group taunts. Starting early is VERY IMPORTANT take your lumps & refine your skills while you are a "lowbie" once you've gotten to lvl 50 & 55 you will be Elite.

What I find funny is when i am playing my Healer i feel I am paying for every epic fail i ever committed when I was learning how to Tank. The bad tanks don't 1) guard the healer even when asked to. 2) They think they are a DPS when they are not (in wrong stance/gear). 3) Never initiate combat to establish agro. 4) Don't taunt or Don't taunt effectively to keep agro. I bring these up for purposes of comparison. As long as you are not guilty of the 4 points listed above then you are not doing a bad job, don't let some whiner get you down.
Darkside Star Wars Battlefront Jung Ma server
Solstar LVL 55 Assassin; Robotripper ; Marauder-Smurf - Mara; Mjr'Mindcrime - Operative; Solstie - Sorc
Solqitta LVL 55 Commando; Solahmar ; Kularima - Knight; Lanarima - Smuggler

tharbison
02.28.2014 , 02:29 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Dak_fireraker View Post
The bad tanks don't 1) guard the healer even when asked to... 3) Never initiate combat to establish agro. .. I bring these up for purposes of comparison. As long as you are not guilty of the 4 points listed above then you are not doing a bad job, don't let some whiner get you down.
All good advice, Dak. I might disagree with #1 - when I tank, it's situational who I guard. If the healer is taking a lot of damage, I'll definitely guard them. But if they're not, I won't. Why guard someone who isn't taking damage? I'd rather put it on that dps that is stealing aggro or in aoe range. Just depends who is taking the hits. I'll switch if I need to.

#3) - There's a flipside to this one - I've seen tons of dps who have an itchy trigger finger, intiate combat, and just unload on mobs. They don't wait when they should. They don't manage their aggro. Granted - if the tank takes a really long time that's different. But generally speaking the tank should always be allowed to initiate combat. If they're taking too long then the group needs to speak up. I hate when you get over confident healers or dps trying to lead the group into combat. Silly. Know your place and your job in your group. If you don't know or aren't sure, just ask.

Merouk
02.28.2014 , 02:42 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by tharbison View Post
If the healer is taking a lot of damage, I'll definitely guard them. But if they're not, I won't. Why guard someone who isn't taking damage?
It's situational, but sometimes it's also a matter of psychology. Guarded healer feels more safe and thinks you're competent, thus he'll go more all out to heal you AND the DPS, rather than just you and otherwise avoid generating threat.

Halinalle
03.02.2014 , 06:52 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Merouk View Post
It's situational, but sometimes it's also a matter of psychology. Guarded healer feels more safe and thinks you're competent, thus he'll go more all out to heal you AND the DPS, rather than just you and otherwise avoid generating threat.
Only time when healer gets aggro is when nobody is attacking the mobs or tank doesn't have enough threat over the mobs. For example beast boss in Athiss: adds that spawn will go for healer if tank isn't close enough to them or dps isn't attacking them (like they should do!). Threat healers generate is so pathetic that even ranged dps will steal the aggro from healer just by sneezing in general direction of mobs.

"Always Guard the healer" only works in early FPs (mainly Hammer station, maybe Athiss). Guard is situational ability that should be used when it helps (especially with healing). Don't ever Guard the tank though. I have to learn to use that more often.

Fidelicatessen
03.02.2014 , 10:25 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Dak_fireraker View Post
The bad tanks don't 1) guard the healer even when asked to...
Good tanks throw Guard on whomever is likely to pull agro. That usually isn't the healer (assuming the DPS are following the kill order).

Clueless tanks throw Guard on the healer, no matter what.

Bad tanks don't use Guard at all.

Halinalle
03.03.2014 , 01:34 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Fidelicatessen View Post
Good tanks throw Guard on whomever is likely to pull agro. That usually isn't the healer (assuming the DPS are following the kill order).

Clueless tanks throw Guard on the healer, no matter what.

Bad tanks don't use Guard at all.
I did Athiss with my PT a while ago at level 19 and there was level 22 Marauder in the group. I didn't have to think who to Guard.