Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Prepare to be farmed: Cap ships in TDM no longer fire at enemies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Prepare to be farmed: Cap ships in TDM no longer fire at enemies

Jyzai
02.24.2014 , 08:07 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by OscarDivine View Post
A problem exists one way or the other. What I think really should have been done would be to turn the capital ships into exhaustion zone. Enemy ships would still die to the cap ship lasers and you couldn't camp there waiting for your cap ship to get your kills for you. Just my 2c.

Someone will always find their way around the system, but the way it is, there is no perfect solution. We need to stop pretending there is (even myself with my 2c suggestion) and be happy that we even get upgrades for a game that was saved by F2P. >>> O hhhhhh, I don't mean to start up this ol' debate <<<
Thank you for getting it and reply to it with a good counter response.
Your way does make better sense cause it doesn't make the capital ships useless or pointless.
So let me get this straight you want to add a debuff to keep people from quitting warzones, then you might as well get ready for insults at you and others on the team.

Zoom_VI
02.24.2014 , 09:24 PM | #52
imo returning to cap ship should just autoflag you as non-contributing. Since after all you did run away.
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

If you fail, fail dramatically. At least you will prove the error of your tactics to your successors
- Scott Westerfeld, The Killing of Worlds

Armonddd
02.24.2014 , 09:29 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
imo returning to cap ship should just autoflag you as non-contributing. Since after all you did run away.
Can I have some butter to go with this can of worms?
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Fractalsponge
02.24.2014 , 09:33 PM | #54
What about the 4 scouts I've gotten to follow me and be useless? Should they get the debuff as well?

bigbobsr
02.24.2014 , 10:38 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by OscarDivine View Post
A problem exists one way or the other. What I think really should have been done would be to turn the capital ships into exhaustion zone. Enemy ships would still die to the cap ship lasers and you couldn't camp there waiting for your cap ship to get your kills for you. Just my 2c. <<<
This is a good idea. I would add no more than a 10 second warning countdown after spawning before exhaustion starts. No warning if returning to cap ship after spawn though.

The exhaustion zone area must extend to the max range of the cap ship turrets and no further. This would do away with any gaps that either side could take advantage of.

Just some thoughts................bob
█||||||||()Ξ████████████████████████████████)

mighty_joe
02.25.2014 , 12:12 AM | #56
wouldn't it have been enough to lower the turrets damage by 50% (60, 70 - whatever)?

so on a onesided match or if the opposing team hid there you could get in, shoot at the enemy and get back out.
would require skill and a bit of luck but would have been better than no turrets at all
and still spawning players would have had some protection.

removing the spawn protection because some a**clowns exploited it, is a weak solution that will only see newbies farmed harder, the exploiters will find something else.
Happily Smiles
Senate Special Order
The Red Eclipse
The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

CaliJoe
02.25.2014 , 12:31 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
If this is a short term solution while they work on a better long term solution, I think it's fine. Two spawn points won't stop all spawn camping, as good teams will still be able to cover both, but it'll be a rare team that can do so effectively. The turret tactics used in TDM are a more immediate problem than Domination, so it make sense to patch it for now. (Like I said, so long as they are working on a better long term solution.)

I think the better long term solution would be protected spawn areas you can't re-enter like ground PvP instances have. Although I don't have a problem with people using them for cover so long as the mechanics work that way (it's PvP, so use what you have) I really don't like any "safe retreat" zone existing in a PvP instance.
I initially thought that GSF was going to have this PVP feature. You get ejected out of the spawn area with no go-backs. This should be implemented as well in GSF.
Wild speculation on forums? When does that happen? The Harbinger - Fumanshu Legacy
Repub: Jafaean(Arms), Zelgen(Artifice), Espellah(Cyber), Jabender(Synthweave)
Imp: Vindrock(Armor), Antshell(BioChem), Li'Larish, Kenevil

Gavin_Kelvar
02.25.2014 , 12:48 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractalsponge View Post
I'm sorry, but you don't understand why I'm complaining about this. Capital ships won't get kills except against the inexperienced or the stupid, who were going to get farmed to begin with but could at least get a chance to try and fight and get better.

The new changes increase the likelihood that these players will get farmed at a much faster rate than before, and won't re-queue to get better. Losing matches isn't a problem, but a large number of people losing matches in a stupid and repetitive way is just going to lead to frustration and less q pops.
Agreed. At least with the capital ship turrets if you were loosing badly they kept things from getting even worse.

Zharik
02.25.2014 , 12:51 AM | #59
But it is PvP... if you don't want to die... don't queue. If you queue, participate.

Now having said that, I don't want one team to be able to pick off people as they spawn (or worse yet, mine the area).

Spawn in an exhaustion zone with 10-15 seconds of immunity to exhaustion damage.
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Member.

Helig
02.25.2014 , 12:57 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by okiobe View Post
The team that was getting pushed back to their cap ship was ALREADY getting farmed. The only thing they did by sitting in the protection of the cap ship was prolong a lopsided match.

While I don't think this is a good long term fix, at least we can end those matches quicker. Also if I feel so inclined I can chase those gunships all the way back to their ship and finish them off without fear of the insta-death.

EDIT: They could extend the exhaustion area to the immediate area around the cap ship so the enemy can't sit behind where you spawn and shoot you from behind. That would be really annoying.
Anything that discourages Gunship stacking is a good thing. TDM+overpowered cap ship turrets=tons of cheese.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie