Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Give us in cockpit view points like from 1996's X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter

Letsjet
02.24.2014 , 04:30 PM | #1

A game that was made 18 years ago is better than the Galactic Starfighter portion SWTOR (a $250 mil game) by far.

I pulled My 4,000 lbs desktop from 1998 that my wife stored in the attic just to play that game.
-The graphics were perfectly fine.
-I was bobbing, weaving, and ducking in real life.
-My blood pressure went up and I was thrilled at the immersive game-play experience.

I have never done that during Galactic Starfighter.

Thanks!
"I see you have constructed a new light saber. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful as the Emperor has foreseen."

Sadishist
02.24.2014 , 04:35 PM | #2
And then we wouldn't need the accuracy/evasion crap. Either shots hit or it doesn't hit.

But I'm not sure if GSF was designed for simulation gameplay like TIE Fighter was, since then a joystick would then be required whereas GSF was designed to be played by mouse.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

QuinMantha
02.24.2014 , 05:30 PM | #3
I think first-person cockpit views would be neat!

I don't know if I'd go with it, I kinda like knowing just how close to that asteroid my butt is before I hit Barrel Roll, but I know a lot of people for whom this move might serve to salvage GSF's standing for them.
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler

okiobe
02.24.2014 , 05:40 PM | #4
I think it is entirely possible to put in a cockpit view as a quality of life improvement. In racing games where I was given I choice I always used fly cam views so I would keep the view we have now. But there is nothing wrong with choice.

I don't think the would change the game play to that of those games. It would basically require a complete game redesign.
The HarbingerThe First Order
Okiobe 55 Commando Mirque 55 Operative
The Ebon Hawk - Mujo
www.twitch.tv/okiobe

Jandi
02.24.2014 , 05:48 PM | #5
I would prefer it, yes, for one simple reaosn. I fly a Pike and when my baby catches on fire, which seems to happen quite often for some strange reason, you can't see ****.

Sadishist
02.24.2014 , 07:19 PM | #6
The thing is, GSF was designed to be played by a mouse, not a joystick. That's why there's the accuracy/evasion factor. If there's a cockpit view, you'd need a joystick to play.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

Nefastuss
02.24.2014 , 08:17 PM | #7
I know Rogue Squadron was no Tie fighter but I only played with the cockpit view, was pretty cool. Its a pity we cant use a controler too, like the xbox one.

Zharik
02.24.2014 , 11:52 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
If there's a cockpit view, you'd need a joystick to play.
How did you come to that conclusion?

Ever hear of Jump to Lightspeed? Basically the same game as GSF and was in a cockpit view with mouse only control. (lots of emphasis on "basically")
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Members (x18).

My Referral Link for some Free things (for you and me)

Jandi
02.25.2014 , 02:34 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Zharik View Post
How did you come to that conclusion?

Ever hear of Jump to Lightspeed? Basically the same game as GSF and was in a cockpit view with mouse only control. (lots of emphasis on "basically")
Yeah... no, they are nothing alike. Not even basically. The mechanics are completely different. Speeds are completel different. Weapons are completely different.

Jandi
02.25.2014 , 02:36 AM | #10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-JK8FETvg4

Here is a video of an old game that is basically the same cotrol-wise from a cockpit view.