Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Aces?

Fatespuppet
02.24.2014 , 05:12 PM | #271
I play on Shadowlands, when I can actually get a match to pop. I run a couple of toons on both sides, so I'm rarely around more than 2 or 3 matches per toon per day. The GSF scene there is horrendous. I've seen 6 v 6 all Pub matches with a Q time over an hour.

My guild used to run pre-made groups at the beginning, but everyone but myself has given it up. The Imp side was so miserable for so long that it scared off most folks.

I do see a few folks that tend to hunt me down when I'm on, but they all seem to have those fancy characters that I don't know how to type. I can definitely second the Rogues and Cymbaline though. I've fought with and against both.

Fractalsponge
02.24.2014 , 06:59 PM | #272
Quote: Originally Posted by Fatespuppet View Post
I play on Shadowlands, when I can actually get a match to pop. I run a couple of toons on both sides, so I'm rarely around more than 2 or 3 matches per toon per day. The GSF scene there is horrendous. I've seen 6 v 6 all Pub matches with a Q time over an hour.

My guild used to run pre-made groups at the beginning, but everyone but myself has given it up. The Imp side was so miserable for so long that it scared off most folks.

I do see a few folks that tend to hunt me down when I'm on, but they all seem to have those fancy characters that I don't know how to type. I can definitely second the Rogues and Cymbaline though. I've fought with and against both.
Imperial side, which I've played with exclusively as Xi'ao since launch, has quick pops whenever I'm on. I guess it's karmic payback for stick to it through a bunch of pub premades farm the solo queuers for a month and a half. What's your pub toon?

Kreaus
02.24.2014 , 07:01 PM | #273
Tom'berringer imp side the bastion bet you cant guess what ship he is disturbingly efficient with.
Trajan-Kahl Jedi Guardian -The Bastion

AidenDarko
02.24.2014 , 07:02 PM | #274
Aeden here from JC

Frosting on the Imp side should be added. Think he uses vent/etc with Chocolate. They work well together but Frosting is the Ace of the two.

Armonddd
02.24.2014 , 07:06 PM | #275
Quote: Originally Posted by AidenDarko View Post
Frosting on the Imp side should be added. Think he uses vent/etc with Chocolate. They work well together but Frosting is the Ace of the two.
I see what they did there.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

MarkosWarstorm
02.24.2014 , 08:29 PM | #276
Quote: Originally Posted by okiobe View Post
I've flown with both and against Willie. They are good pilots. I was in a TDM with Evilwillie and I got focused hard but he was able to get top kills (we still lost) and I think he was solo queued. I saw Sleeth as a teammate in a domination match. He got focused hard with 2+ always chasing him around. He was still top 3 in kills and we won.
Same observation here. I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to see Larrah with them a fair amount too. Regardless, from my experience, they're all good pilots individually, but their teamwork is a big force multiplier. As a team, they're tough to beat, I can't say I recall having been in a match when they've been on the losing side. Kudos to them, they've got skills and good teamwork to match.
Markôs Warstorm
Delta, Inc.

Pilgrim_Grey
02.24.2014 , 09:59 PM | #277
Quote: Originally Posted by Fatespuppet View Post

You've had bad luck, then. I have 3 alts I fly with on the Shadowlands and at the worst, I think I've waited 15-20 minutes for a match, and that was abnormal for me. In the evenings it's generally much shorter. Really not all that different from ground PVP, really.

I've seen the Rogues a fair amount and many of them are decent, but no one on the Imps really sticks out to me. There was one guy that was a nightmare for awhile, but I've lost his name since he hasn't been on when I've played, at least in a long while. Another guy in my guild, The Old Timer's Guild, was a really good scout pilot, but I forget what his main's name was for GSF, otherwise I'd suggest him.

BallisticID
02.25.2014 , 12:19 AM | #278
What defines an "Ace" though? This whole thread seems to just be a list of pilots who some people think are pretty good. Shouldn't an "Ace" be held to a higher standard? Someone who changes the flow of battle with their mere presence. There are people that I have flown with/against where I knew immediately that they would have to be dealt with or accounted for throughout the course of the match. People who push whichever ship they are flying to its limit, doing things that are either difficult to counter or hard to stop.

In my opinion these Aces should not be considered as such if they primarily fly only one type of ship. Any half decent pilot can become great if they fly only 1 type of ship for a vast majority of their matches. It is the truly exceptional pilots that can make an impact in multiple roles. I have seen fantastic gunship pilots who were horrible in scouts, or great bomber pilots who couldn't fly a gunship if all they had to do was not run into a satellite. These pilots are good at what they specialize in, but have almost no flexibility. This flexibility is something that is needed to compete against an equally skilled enemy team.

Without naming any names, some of the people on the Pot5 republic list are great pilots, but not Aces in my book. They are very one-dimensional, or merely average when not in their primary class of ship. I won't name names because everyone one the pub list knows me, and I think you are all very good, but not all of you are what I consider to be an "Ace."

Pucmara
02.25.2014 , 01:45 AM | #279
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
LOL? He is good at 2 things. Boosting to the capital ship and playong 4 man premades but beyond that? Mediocre at best.

But then, that seems to be the criteria for being an "Ace". How fast you can run to your capital ship.
And you are?
Do I sometimes head to cap ships, yes, if I'm facing a 1:1 in gunship I'm 100% sure I can't win.
So guilty on that charge.
But then again I usually run all over the map when that happens, so definately not always to the cap ship.
I never do this in my scouts/bomber/strikes, which I play more then my gunship anyway.

Pre-mades, well, to be honest 80% of my time I solo queue.
But whatever.
Mediocre? Probably, just like to play a lot and have fun, so I guess that's why a lot of people know me.

Cya in space!

Cheers,
Puc (Red Eclipse)

Jandi
02.25.2014 , 02:26 AM | #280
Quote: Originally Posted by Pucmara View Post
And you are?
Do I sometimes head to cap ships, yes, if I'm facing a 1:1 in gunship I'm 100% sure I can't win.
So guilty on that charge.
But then again I usually run all over the map when that happens, so definately not always to the cap ship.
I never do this in my scouts/bomber/strikes, which I play more then my gunship anyway.

Pre-mades, well, to be honest 80% of my time I solo queue.
But whatever.
Mediocre? Probably, just like to play a lot and have fun, so I guess that's why a lot of people know me.

Cya in space!

Cheers,
Puc (Red Eclipse)
I'm just a random nobody who's flown against you enough to know that, while you aren't a terrible pilot, you certainly aren't among the best of Red Eclipse, which I thought was the idea of this particular thread. I most definitely am not either, by the way.

I must have only seen you 20% of the time then, cause I only ever see you in your premade group with you in a gs, 2 scouts and a bomber.