Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Petition to officially change the name to GunshipStarFighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Petition to officially change the name to GunshipStarFighter

Brewski
02.24.2014 , 07:12 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
The fact that you can counteract every other class with a variety of engine components but to counteract a gunship you absolutely must have barrel roll.
I counteract gunships just fine flying with retros. Having tried all of the engine components on my Flashfire, I've determined that for me, the versatility I get from retros far outweighs the travel bonus I get with barrel roll. Some people will disagree, I know, but my point is countering gunships (or bombers or scouts or even strikes) is more about pilot skill and tactics than it is about equipment.

Brewski
02.24.2014 , 07:18 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by CyberneticDucks View Post
again with the bombers, i've flown them and they take skill, at least the 2500 ones.
So have I, and I would argue that all of the ships (gunships and bombers included) take skill to fly effectively. (The post was primarily snark.)

For example, I do great in scouts, okay in bombers and strikes, but totally suck at gunships. I also die far more often to strikes and scouts than to gunships or bombers. If I were to extrapolate out from my personal experience it would suggest that gunships are far too underpowered. I don't believe that, of course, as I know many very effective gunship pilots on both sides. But we can see how taking personal experience only, then exaggerating it to an extreme level, can lead too overstatements like the subject on this thread.

The classes are mostly balanced, and all can be flown effectively by pilots who know what they are doing. Are tweaks needed? Certainly. Is the game broken? No.

Itkovian
02.24.2014 , 07:45 AM | #43
It's amazing how many people think that substituting a word in a game's name is some sort of witticism worthy of recognition.

GunshipStarFighter, Galactic Scout Fighter, Galactic Bomber. Most other games have the same thing, such as LRM Online or PPC Online for MWO.

Please don't... the only think that gets debased by such "witticism" is you.

As to your point, we've had gunships since the beginning of GSF, and by now we've learned well enough how to deal with them. The only time they're an issue is in TDM when they hang back near their spawn with a minefield in between, and that's more an issue with TDM permitting spawn camping than anything else. Otherwise, they're quite manageable.

Now I'm not saying there isn't still a need for some balance. Ion Railgun can still be an issue (if only because it is the most common form of CC, and CC generally sucks), but it's nowhere near as bad as the OP makes it out to be.

Mallorik
02.24.2014 , 03:14 PM | #44
Bombers and gunships are the only roles that can ruin a match whether theyre on your side or the other side, that should tell the devs something. Running around dogfighting the enemy while 5 people who cant fly a ship kill everything youre chasing by keeping a cursor on them is just about as annoying as being the people getting farmed by those gunships.

I mean GSF is already a super dumbed down version of a flight game but gunships and bombers take that dumb to a whole new level. Why make a flight game for people who don't like and cant play flight games? did they really think that was a good strategy?

QuinMantha
02.24.2014 , 05:23 PM | #45
/signed

...what? It's all about me! We all know it!

*puts fists on hips and raises chin in superhero pose with his Gunship flying majestically overhead*
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler

okiobe
02.24.2014 , 05:33 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Itkovian View Post
GunshipStarFighter, Galactic Scout Fighter, Galactic Bomber.
LOL, Galactic Bomber. I think this is the game seagulls play against cars.
The HarbingerThe First Order
Okiobe 55 Commando Mirque 55 Operative
The Ebon Hawk - Mujo
www.twitch.tv/okiobe