Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Prepare to be farmed: Cap ships in TDM no longer fire at enemies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Prepare to be farmed: Cap ships in TDM no longer fire at enemies

Armonddd
02.24.2014 , 04:54 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by okiobe View Post
By killball I assume to are referring to a situation like pre-patched Ilum pvp.
Most/all of the team in one spot slaughtering anything in range.

I didn't play Ilum pre-patch, but I heard that's how it was for imps, so I'd say your analogy is probably correct.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

DroidDreamer
02.24.2014 , 04:55 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Phatbeard View Post
Finally, the Jedi Covenant Imperial modus operandi of parking 3-4 gunships in a picket line 15km from the capital ships every TDM will be rendered moot.
How's that? This just means the capitol ships won't protect spawners. Now you can enjoy a line of gunships sniping you immediately after you spawn.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

okiobe
02.24.2014 , 04:55 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractalsponge View Post
I've seen one TDM that I backfilled into where we would've been spawn camped without the turrets...
I don't doubt it happens now and I certainly can see it happening post patch tomorrow. I was just commenting that personally I have never been in a situation where i couldn't fly to the center of the map or engage the enemy back line. even when pushed back. This could just be the product of playing on a PvE server and while 3-4 man premades are common I almost never see a multi-group premade.

I also have to admit I've 'camped' a losing team (siting neat the rock pillars on Kuat or the big asteroid on shipyards as a scout). I know it isn't fun for the other team but the only way to end the match faster is to kill them and get to 50. It's nothing personal.
The HarbingerThe First Order
Okiobe 55 Commando Mirque 55 Operative
The Ebon Hawk - Mujo
www.twitch.tv/okiobe

Fractalsponge
02.24.2014 , 04:56 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
You can no longer use the cap ships as an indestructible oneshotting turret to make it win for you, get over it. If the enemy team has a picket line around all 3 of your spawn points and you can't get out from any of then, you lost the match before it even started and this change makes 0 difference.
I'm sorry, but you don't understand why I'm complaining about this. Capital ships won't get kills except against the inexperienced or the stupid, who were going to get farmed to begin with but could at least get a chance to try and fight and get better.

The new changes increase the likelihood that these players will get farmed at a much faster rate than before, and won't re-queue to get better. Losing matches isn't a problem, but a large number of people losing matches in a stupid and repetitive way is just going to lead to frustration and less q pops.

okiobe
02.24.2014 , 04:59 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
Most/all of the team in one spot slaughtering anything in range.

I didn't play Ilum pre-patch, but I heard that's how it was for imps, so I'd say your analogy is probably correct.
Here is a clip of what it was like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5KRtIjO0qQ
The HarbingerThe First Order
Okiobe 55 Commando Mirque 55 Operative
The Ebon Hawk - Mujo
www.twitch.tv/okiobe

Armonddd
02.24.2014 , 05:02 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by okiobe View Post
Here is a clip of what it was like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5KRtIjO0qQ
Hey, at least there will only be eight or so guys farming you when you spawn instead of fifty!
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Nocher
02.24.2014 , 05:04 PM | #37
Quite a bit of speculation. Let's see if the third spawn makes it work (although players don't seem to understand that there are two to start with). Either way, let's wait to call it a horrible decision until tomorrow?
Band-Aid
That guy on the Bastion with only a Nova Dive

Jandi
02.24.2014 , 05:05 PM | #38
I'm sorry, but you don't understand why I'm complaining about this. Capital ships won't get kills except against the inexperienced or the stupid, who were going to get farmed to begin with but could at least get a chance to try and fight and get better.

The new changes increase the likelihood that these players will get farmed at a much faster rate than before, and won't re-queue to get better. Losing matches isn't a problem, but a large number of people losing matches in a stupid and repetitive way is just going to lead to frustration and less q pops.
And constantly playing peekaboo with the cap ship cause every scout and gs in a match will do nothing but boost to it immediately is a good thing? It's not an ideal solution, but it's a solution to a problem that was getting out of hand and something needed to be done FAST.

DroidDreamer
02.24.2014 , 05:06 PM | #39
^ This. Getting spawn camped is one of the worst gaming experiences one can have. It's just dumb. Spawn in, die, spawn in, die. That's not a good experience for GSF.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

QuinMantha
02.24.2014 , 05:07 PM | #40

I disagree. What you would see happen more often is one team (winning OR losing, I've seen both) would retreat to over their capital ship, set up their Gunships, and pick people off who wandered too close. I came to call this tactic a "Gunny Camp", and it was no fun for anyone. No-one could get close enough to engage for fear of capital ship fire, and the Gunny Campers could sit with impunity and bloody noses from the limit of their range.

It effectively meant the engagement was over. There would be no more mixing it up, no more close-quarters dogfighting...just sitting at sixteen klicks from the target you SO wanted to kill, but they wouldn't come out and play.

Worse were the sissies of all ship types who, once their got their noses bloodied, would run crying for their mother(ship). GSF is about mixing it up, and trying to outfly the bad guys through superior tactics, hardware, and team coordination. You don't wimp out and quit fighting before the fighting's done. I made a special point of WAITING for folks who did that after I bloodied their noses, just so I could catch them when they got bold again and make them take their medicine.
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler