Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Prepare to be farmed: Cap ships in TDM no longer fire at enemies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Prepare to be farmed: Cap ships in TDM no longer fire at enemies

Jandi
02.24.2014 , 03:39 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
The more problematic tactic I've seen is one team setting up a protected zone immediately in front of their spawn area with bombers, and filling it with gunships. With one approach covered by one shot AI turrets, and little to no cover to approach them from the sides, turtle tactics like that make TDM matches gunship grinds.

All that said, I think I'm going to reverse my thoughts on this one, as it just occurred to me that this change will allow bombers to plant massive mine fields immediately over the spawn point, killing you as you emerge. With that tactic, it's totally possible to cover both spawn points and literally farm teams as they emerge. Combining drones and mines will make it impossible to boost away from the kill zone before being targeted.

Unless I am missing something, I expect to see this happening in every lopsided TDM match out there...
Yeah cause mines do 10k damage a pop, right? A fleet of bombers would be slaughtered by any half-competent assortment of pilots as there is literally no cover whatsoever anywhere near the cap ships.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

Brewski
02.24.2014 , 03:45 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
Yeah cause mines do 10k damage a pop, right? A fleet of bombers would be slaughtered by any half-competent assortment of pilots as there is literally no cover whatsoever anywhere near the cap ships.
They don't need to, really, and competence isn't the question. (Since if you've been pushed back to both spawn points already we can assume matchmaking has failed, and the pushing team is much more skilled than the pushed.) Drop enough mines and drones in the spawn zone and you will be dead before you can actually boost away.

About the only limit will be that you can't get more than 50 kills in a TDM, so you probably don't have time to farm more than a few minutes.

Granted this won't happen in balanced (or even semi-balanced) games, but on my server about 50% of matches end up completely lopsided one way or the other. The others pretty much end up 1000 - 100ish or 50 - 10ish depending on the mode.

Dragusin
02.24.2014 , 03:47 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Ravenschild View Post
You have 2 spawns and it isnt like most groups are going to split and camp both
Really?? There are 3 satellites in Domination. A decent (not even good) team can hold two with bombers and guns all day long. Like this won't happen now to an already FARMED team that has been pushed back to their caps.

It will only take 4 Gun ships ... two at 14k from each spawn point to totally shut down the other team. Two fixed spawns will be easily camped. One gun Ions and the other rails. Spawn dead, spawn dead. I've not even put two Bombers in the mix yet.

This is a BAD idea.

Kain_Turinbar
02.24.2014 , 03:48 PM | #14
I think their attempt at roleplay in the patch notes could have been better.

I would have said the defenses have been taken out by opposing forces and the capital ships are crippled and scrambling all fighters.

Delta_V
02.24.2014 , 03:58 PM | #15
I think the best solution I've seen was to leave the turrets, but make the area they protect an exhaustion zone. Then give each ship a 10-15 second (or however long is deemed appropriate) buff upon spawning that protects them from said exhaustion zone. That would prevent people from retreating to their own capitol ships, as well as prevent spawn camping.

Fractalsponge
02.24.2014 , 03:59 PM | #16
I can pretty much guarantee that spawn ****** is going to happen on a regular basis now. I've seen a bunch of deathmatches on shipyards lately where the pub side has been pushed into balling around the shipyard complex around their default spawn, and the only thing keeping the match vaguely interesting is not being able to steamroll them over their cap ship.

If a team is getting pushed back to spawn, it won't take all of the other team to lock down one spawn, leaving plenty to do the same to the other one. 2x gunships and a minelayer is going to completely annihilate anything spawning. Why would newbies play if that started happening regularly?

Make this cross server and turn on matchmaking quick!

okiobe
02.24.2014 , 04:08 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
Lazy fix that works against the purpose of including powerups. Game designers need to make mechanics work in harmony, not against each other.
Honest question. How does this work against the purpose of powerups?

On another note, spawning into a minefield would really suck.
The HarbingerThe First Order
Okiobe 55 Commando Mirque 55 Operative
The Ebon Hawk - Mujo
www.twitch.tv/okiobe

dancezwithnubz
02.24.2014 , 04:11 PM | #18
BW actually does something along the lines that a lot of us have been asking for and howls of derision ensue.

i don't think it'll be as bad as some claim.

OscarDivine
02.24.2014 , 04:11 PM | #19
Ohhh Happy Day!

Jandi
02.24.2014 , 04:14 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by okiobe View Post
On another note, spawning into a minefield would really suck.
The fact that they have mines on your spawn zone means the match started sucking long before that.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.