Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Collecting tauntaun domestication data

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Collecting tauntaun domestication data

DataBeaver
02.23.2014 , 04:28 AM | #1
I started collecting these things a week or two ago. For the first 10 or so runs, I had a very clear pattern where there would always be five failures followed by one success, getting me exactly two items per run since there are 12 fawns. Then it started to take a random amount of failures (between 0 and 5) before getting the first item. And just now I got three items for a single run. So far I've never gotten less than two per run, and never more than one per nest.

So how does this work? Is it random or is there a pattern? Did I just had some amazing regularity during the first runs by chance? Is it really guaranteed to get at least two per run? Does the time since the last run affect it? Does the lockout reset with dailies or is it timed?

AlrikFassbauer
02.23.2014 , 04:49 AM | #2
I never saw a pattern in that, pure random for me, but maybe I'm not sensitive enough to see a pattern there ?
To me, it was just trial & error.
I'm a bad player.
I have no good reputation.
I never will.
Only bad reputation.

HakkaP
02.23.2014 , 04:57 AM | #3
I think your pattern was just coincidence. From the get go I always got random number. And I think I have got more than one in one nest. Not 100% sure though. It was a long time ago.

For me it seemed like the chance was slightly more than 20%, more like 25%. Allthough I had a run or two (using two nests and two instances) where I got 0 or 1

lil_evil_rozzie
02.23.2014 , 04:59 AM | #4
It was random for me still took 6 hours to get the 15 I needed though
'Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the force'

Fractal_Eye
02.23.2014 , 10:41 AM | #5
It's just totally random (RNG). First off, there are 6 nests, not 4, so a total of 18 fawns to try per run. Even with that, though, I used to average the same as you most of the time (1:6 success rate, or around 16%). It's really not guaranteed to get any during a run of them, but I seem to average 1 per every 2 nests, so you seem to be about the same.

That said, I have had several pops of 2 in one nest, and I even got all 3 to pop.... once, lol. Also, they're on a 45min-1hour timer (closer to 1hour really), and, if there are multiple instances of Hoth up (when it first started, there were normally 3 instances up on my server; now, I'm lucky to get 2), you can hop to the new instance(s) while waiting for the timers to finish.

My above observations are based on gathering enough data for around 15 (so, 200+ data collected) or so Tauntauns. I tend to use it as a way to wind down after tanking OPs for my guild (and I like helping my fellow guildies get their fist tauntaun).

Also, I used dulfy's guide to find all the nests and plan my route: http://dulfy.net/2013/08/06/swtor-ta...-mounts-guide/ . Great thing is, if you have 3 instances of Hoth up, you can do a loop of all 6 nests, switch instances, do loop, switch instances, do loop. Once you're done on the 3rd instance, the timers on the 1st one should be up (I've gotten to about 15-20mins per instance for all 6 nests), and you can start all over again on Instance 1.

tl;dr - Totally Random Number Generation; 6 nests total per instance; possible (but rare) to get all 3 fawns to pop; check out dulfy's guide, it's awesome (like always!); good luck, fellow tauntaun domestication junkies!