Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Petition to officially change the name to GunshipStarFighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Petition to officially change the name to GunshipStarFighter

Markviper's Avatar


Markviper
02.22.2014 , 05:44 PM | #11
Have to say I agree, lately the matches have predominately turned into nothing but giant gunship fests with the occasional bomber, dogfighting has become a thing of the past in most of the matches I have gotten lately. This game (at least with deathmatch) has turned into nothing more than a "who has the biggest ocean of gunships" fight. I've been trying to keep having fun with it in the hopes that I will get some real matches with people who want to actually have an epic dogfight, but after constant, nonstop pure gunship and bomber fights it seems that there is only two options now. Either grab a gunship myself which I find to be an extremely boring and skill-less play style... or be the one person who tries to fly into the ocean of gunships and mines to do something about it... which has an obvious outcome.
Markviper Guardian tank
Marthaviper Shadow tank
Headbash Commando
Peterwigin Gunslinger
Herpderpsmash Sentinel
Lilandriakin Sage
Projectbeta Powertech tank

leehambly's Avatar


leehambly
02.22.2014 , 05:48 PM | #12
Just need to get a grip of yourself and adapt your play... gunships are slow and static, so pick up some power ups... preferably, in order: engine, shields and overcharge and take the frigging lot out. This stuff doesn't always need to be spoon fed to you! Just 'cos it's a death-match doesn't means it's a race to die... be tactical, know your territory, find the edge and use it. And I'm always on a scout when I do this.

Markviper's Avatar


Markviper
02.22.2014 , 06:10 PM | #13
So what you are saying is, if I want to play a real dogfighting class in a deathmatch game, that I have to first get three different powerups just to have a CHANCE at doing ANYTHING at all. So get three powerups... run in to the ocean of gunships and mines... kill one maybe two enemies... then get tagged by 4 other railguns since I'll be the only person trying to take them out in a role I enjoy playing. Or I can not try to do that, sit around all day in the hopes that someone will fly to a spot that I can attack them and not get an entire fleet of railguns aimed at me simultaneously and get non contributing debuff. Or I can go with the direction that this game is going, grab a gunship, join the sniperfest and be bored to death all match. Sounds fun and tactical. Yes I occasionally get a match where there is an actual brawl and only 1 or 2 gunships per side and can actually have fun in a huge dogfight but those are becoming far and few, the vast majority are becoming nothing but sniper standoffs.
Markviper Guardian tank
Marthaviper Shadow tank
Headbash Commando
Peterwigin Gunslinger
Herpderpsmash Sentinel
Lilandriakin Sage
Projectbeta Powertech tank

leehambly's Avatar


leehambly
02.22.2014 , 06:13 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Markviper View Post
So what you are saying is, if I want to play a real dogfighting class in a deathmatch game, that I have to first get three different powerups just to have a CHANCE at doing ANYTHING at all. So get three powerups... run in to the ocean of gunships and mines... kill one maybe two enemies... then get tagged by 4 other railguns since I'll be the only person trying to take them out in a role I enjoy playing. Or I can not try to do that, sit around all day in the hopes that someone will fly to a spot that I can attack them and not get an entire fleet of railguns aimed at me simultaneously and get non contributing debuff. Or I can go with the direction that this game is going, grab a gunship, join the sniperfest and be bored to death all match. Sounds fun and tactical. Yes I occasionally get a match where there is an actual brawl and only 1 or 2 gunships per side and can actually have fun in a huge dogfight but those are becoming far and few, the vast majority are becoming nothing but sniper standoffs.
No, if you want to have a chance against an ocean of them all bunched though, of course you need to do something special. And I did say "preferably"... Again, it shouldn't need to be spoon fed to you. And I'll tell you - if you're only doing 1 or 2 GS with an overcharge, let someone else on your team pick it up. IMHO power-ups are for the faster ships, its part of the balance for the Gunship/bombers - works well but you need to play to it. I had a streak of 11 of the sods tonight, lucky sure... ran into a second overcharge on my way out of it. An overcharge on it's own will do, but those three together... even better!

DEATHICIDE's Avatar


DEATHICIDE
02.22.2014 , 06:24 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Markviper View Post
So what you are saying is, if I want to play a real dogfighting class in a deathmatch game, that I have to first get three different powerups just to have a CHANCE at doing ANYTHING at all. So get three powerups... run in to the ocean of gunships and mines... kill one maybe two enemies... then get tagged by 4 other railguns since I'll be the only person trying to take them out in a role I enjoy playing. Or I can not try to do that, sit around all day in the hopes that someone will fly to a spot that I can attack them and not get an entire fleet of railguns aimed at me simultaneously and get non contributing debuff. Or I can go with the direction that this game is going, grab a gunship, join the sniperfest and be bored to death all match. Sounds fun and tactical. Yes I occasionally get a match where there is an actual brawl and only 1 or 2 gunships per side and can actually have fun in a huge dogfight but those are becoming far and few, the vast majority are becoming nothing but sniper standoffs.
Were you trespassing on someone elses lot AGAIN???

You have your own accommodations with the same commodities as the other campers, please stay away from their lots.

This is your final warning.

Stay out of other people's campsites or we are going to have to evict you from the campgrounds.

Also, please stop laughing at the "Bears are DANGEROUS" sign.
You have been giving other campers the impression that the presence of bears is not to be taken seriously.
I really don't see what is so funny about our sign.
Republic Diehard-Imperial Diehard-Founder Of The Old Republic

The Most Valuable - Devastator - Fleet Admiral - Space Magnate

leehambly's Avatar


leehambly
02.22.2014 , 06:45 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Markviper View Post
the vast majority are becoming nothing but sniper standoffs.
And I wouldn't worry too unduly about this... people are still adjusting to the game itself and the new changes/arena. Once more and more get to grips with it, they will go off the ocean of GS and become more balanced... if they wanna win, that is.

NathanielStarr's Avatar


NathanielStarr
02.23.2014 , 01:06 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by leehambly View Post
And I wouldn't worry too unduly about this... people are still adjusting to the game itself and the new changes/arena. Once more and more get to grips with it, they will go off the ocean of GS and become more balanced... if they wanna win, that is.
Not really. That is the winning strategy. You have to do the same and stare each other down until one of you dares to go to the other side.

I know a lot of people play gunships and they like their win spoon fed to them, while apparently other ships have to "be creative" to figure out how to win, though no one really purposed any strategies other than try a strikefighter....

leehambly's Avatar


leehambly
02.23.2014 , 06:16 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
Not really. That is the winning strategy. You have to do the same and stare each other down until one of you dares to go to the other side.

I know a lot of people play gunships and they like their win spoon fed to them, while apparently other ships have to "be creative" to figure out how to win, though no one really purposed any strategies other than try a strikefighter....
It really isn't, it's a winning strategy. Two teams of GS/Bombers facing each other... if one team has a decent scout using the power ups well... who wins? Players will work it out - and GS campers will have to come up with another strategy.

If you expect your playing strategy to remain equally successful after a significant release to the GSF, then well, what was the point of the update??

Costello's Avatar


Costello
02.23.2014 , 06:44 AM | #19
With the current setup gun ships do have an incredible advantage. They have the range to take out drones with ease and the ion can take out fighters and scouts.

None of this is a major issue if it wasn't for the sitting on the cap ship or barrel rolling to them as soon as they take the first bit of damage and then can hide behind the turrets till whoever is after them has to pull away as they can't close the gap.

Even more so in the lost shipyard if you are republic as you can see point B straight from the cap ship.

DEATHICIDE's Avatar


DEATHICIDE
02.23.2014 , 01:21 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
With the current setup gun ships do have an incredible advantage. They have the range to take out drones with ease and the ion can take out fighters and scouts.

None of this is a major issue if it wasn't for the sitting on the cap ship or barrel rolling to them as soon as they take the first bit of damage and then can hide behind the turrets till whoever is after them has to pull away as they can't close the gap.

Even more so in the lost shipyard if you are republic as you can see point B straight from the cap ship.
For the 100000x time:

If an enemy squad camps the cap ship successfully with gunships, it is only because your team continues to approach too close and allows them to do it.

Stop taking the bait.

Having said that, there really isn't much you can do when even 1/4 of your team are noobs who don't take orders, as obviously despite your winning tactics, these noobs will continue feeding them kills until you are well into a loss, which may force you to approach in turn, hoping to snag a few kills to pick the game back up, but you can't compete with a cap ship.

Sometimes your bad tactics of pwning the other team forces them onto the cap ship because you decide to take your pwnsquad to their doorstep then start losing and blame the cap ship.
Who's at fault in this scenario?
Surely not the gunship that can reach it's cap ship with a barrel-roll.

I fully understand, but the problem here is the dim-witted players, not the game mechanics.
Republic Diehard-Imperial Diehard-Founder Of The Old Republic

The Most Valuable - Devastator - Fleet Admiral - Space Magnate