Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Direct X 11 is a must for this game to stay viable

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Direct X 11 is a must for this game to stay viable

Mistwaver
09.02.2012 , 09:37 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Sky_walkerPL View Post
That's easy.

Start clicking i quickly (hotkey for opening inventory)
Your FPS will drop below 5 no matter how good PC you have, especially with 9800GTX (which isn't very impressive in a first place).
My 8800 GT runs every game I throw at it maxed out, and I know a 9800 GTX is more powerful than an 8800 GT.

So, unless you have a GTX series card, it's not impressive? When did it become a requirement to have a 2010 or newer model video card for it to be "impressive"?

You know what's impressive? Max Payne 3 maxed out on an 8800 GT. You know what's not impressive? Max Payne 3 maxed out on a GTX 470 or better, because you kind of expect those cards to max anything out.

NinjaApacHe
09.02.2012 , 11:22 AM | #82
I totally agree with OP. Technology is going forward. There should be the option to switch to dx 11.

Belwyn
11.11.2012 , 10:04 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
haha no.

This game has no need at all for anything dx11 related. It could use a few dx10 shaders, but thats purely my own preference.
Spoken like someone who obviously does not have the hardware to support Dx11.

Just look at how the grphics for upcoming MMO's look, take a look at FFIV a realm reborn, or Bless, hell look at guild wars 2 even. This game will look like crap in a few years, if something is not done by Bioware, the game is already dying as it is, give the ones who can run Dx11 at max settings and high resolution textures the option to do it. Everyone else cen stay with the crappy Dx9 if they choose to.
PC Alienware Aurora: Windows 7 64-bit | XFX 6990 Black Edition 2GB GDDR5 | Intel i7-2600k 8 Cores 4.00GHz | 12GB Memory DDR3 | 500GB Samsung SSD | x2 2TB WD HDD's | Watercooled | Samsung 30" 2560x1600

Rayla_Felana
11.11.2012 , 10:23 AM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Belwyn View Post

Just look at how the grphics for upcoming MMO's look, take a look at FFIV a realm reborn, or Bless, hell look at guild wars 2 even. This game will look like crap in a few years, if something is not done by Bioware, the game is already dying as it is, give the ones who can run Dx11 at max settings and high resolution textures the option to do it. Everyone else cen stay with the crappy Dx9 if they choose to.
The game stabilised quite a few months back actually, go look at TOR status, now we are even seeing an increase of activity, servers-wide.

DX11 is only required by Graphics whores, this is an MMO which needs massive flexibility, it isn't Crysis 2.

Gerandar
11.11.2012 , 10:25 AM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by BMBender View Post
Render more than 20 chars on a screen without a mesuarble frame drop then we can talk DX11
my computer does this just fine, I still don't see the need for dx11 tho.

lokozar
11.11.2012 , 10:45 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Belwyn View Post

You do realize, that GW2 is running in DX9?

DX9 isn't the reason why SWTOR looks bad or old. It's simply another poor design decision from BW.

Take a look at ME3. It's more pretty than SWTOR... sure... but still not up to date, compared to other games.
Maybe it's a staff problem. *shrug*
IRIS - Inter Rim Investigation Service
<<Imperiale RP-Gilde auf Vanjervalis Chain>>

Kheldryn
02.22.2014 , 07:28 PM | #87
Though this is an extremly old posting I figured I'd mention that DX 11 really is needed nowdays. I just bought a new PC and it still runs SWTOR like crap, why? Because its using DX 9. DX 9 was really built for Old systems.. when I say old I mean Single core. Those of us using Dual, Quad (Myself) Six and 8 Cores )Or Better) are suffering because these machines are built to utilize DX 11 and run poorly on unless you've dumped Hundreds of Dollars into High End graphics cards.

Even WoW (Blizzard) upgraded their options to include DX 11. I tested it out.. When running on DX 11 I can max out settings in WoW, On DX 9 in WoW I'm limited to minimal settings. DX 11 is simply more efficient, as it is now I may cancel my SWTOR Subscription as I'm not paying to play a game that the developers themselves don't care enough about to add DX 11 Support.

Sorry to use a Necro'd thread.. But i figure its better than starting a new thread about an old subject that really does need to be addressed.
"The cake is a lie, there is only pie. With pie goes cookies, with cookies, milk. Milk, It does a body good! Let the Force be your guide."

robertthebard
02.22.2014 , 07:49 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Merouk View Post
DirectX 9 is attached to Windows XP, DirectX 11 is attached to Windows 7. I'm guessing that a significant number of people may still be playing on Windows XP, so they are still supporting it.

It's a decision they made, and no amount of yelling and taunting them to "just do it" will convince them to drop potential customers. You could do the research and come at them with a number, like Bioware, less than 1% of your playerbase uses Windows XP, and you're losing 2% of your playerbase per year because you don't improve your graphics, and here's my research and my sources to prove these numbers. and maybe that'll convince them...

But it's doubtful any of us will do all that work.
That'll never work, I mean, come on his example game was WoW.

Kheldryn
02.22.2014 , 07:54 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
That'll never work, I mean, come on his example game was WoW.
Well.. WoW may not be the best example.. but as Win XP Support is being dropped by Microsoft, Bio Ware really can't keep saying that they can't because of Win XP users. As in a month or 2 Win XP will no longer be supported.
"The cake is a lie, there is only pie. With pie goes cookies, with cookies, milk. Milk, It does a body good! Let the Force be your guide."

OwenBrooks
02.22.2014 , 08:07 PM | #90
Only thing I will mention is some systems will benefit from applying the following directx redist - http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/downl...s.aspx?id=8109 this replaces dx9 files missing in later versions