Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Someone please explain this BS?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Someone please explain this BS?

Xianyu
02.22.2014 , 06:45 PM | #1
I went into a match, on my new republic character. I'm using an unmodified strike fighter. Everything is regular.

There was an imperial pilot in a deathmatch that was consistently two-shotting me. I'm not talking about missile/missile combos. I'm talking about head-on dog-fight, he hit me with exactly two shots from his laser cannons and destroyed my ship instantly.

Is this even possible in Starfighter?

Obviously, he ended the game with 18 kills.

Nothing about this feels legit to me.

zaskar
02.22.2014 , 06:48 PM | #2
He had the damage boost. All deathmatch matches have boosts to guns, shields, engines and damage floating about. fly though them to get them,
IMPS -- Ryagrs / Zaskar / Evae / Kira'sa / Phrik / Xiok / Ge'tal / Imperius

PUBS -- Zarrk / Hylo / Zavul / Talvii / Yadira-ban / Yaggi / Zibdu / Kavod

leehambly
02.22.2014 , 06:51 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by zaskar View Post
He had the damage boost. All deathmatch matches have boosts to guns, shields, engines and damage floating about. fly though them to get them,
Agreed. Watch the chat text - when someone on the opposing team gets the Overcharge power up - either kill him instantly or run like hell.

Armonddd
02.22.2014 , 06:54 PM | #4
A brand new, completely stock strike fighter has 1440 shields and 1450 hull. Burst cannons at point blank range do upwards of 1000 damage per shot. If you're getting two shot, you're probably also eating a cluster in that timeframe, which is another 882 damage.

GSF is fast paced. Lots of kills are made in a second and a half (generously). Don't give your opponents that big a window of opportunity unless you're 100% positive you can get the kill first.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Xianyu
02.22.2014 , 07:07 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
A brand new, completely stock strike fighter has 1440 shields and 1450 hull. Burst cannons at point blank range do upwards of 1000 damage per shot. If you're getting two shot, you're probably also eating a cluster in that timeframe, which is another 882 damage.

GSF is fast paced. Lots of kills are made in a second and a half (generously). Don't give your opponents that big a window of opportunity unless you're 100% positive you can get the kill first.
There was no other ships in the vicinity, I'm quite certain he didn't have the power upgrade, and he didn't lock on missiles during that time frame.

It was literally just two shots, head-on, into my cockpit that instantly blew me up. They were heavy lasers. One beam from each wing. about three-quarters of a second between each shot. They were also black with a blue glow. He was a strike fighter.

I've been trying to figure out how he can consistently two-shot our ships and I'm still not seeing it. Not unless the damage boosts were spawning literally in front of him. He was near our spawn, away from the all of upgrades. And he didn't leave to get any, either.

Can crit hits do that much damage? Even with every possible power upgrade added to it?

leehambly
02.22.2014 , 07:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Xianyu View Post
There was no other ships in the vicinity, I'm quite certain he didn't have the power upgrade, and he didn't lock on missiles during that time frame.

It was literally just two shots, head-on, into my cockpit that instantly blew me up. They were heavy lasers. One beam from each wing. about three-quarters of a second between each shot. They were also black with a blue glow. He was a strike fighter.

I've been trying to figure out how he can consistently two-shot our ships and I'm still not seeing it. Not unless the damage boosts were spawning literally in front of him. He was near our spawn, away from the all of upgrades. And he didn't leave to get any, either.
I think Amondd has already answered, 2 shots to an un-upgraded ship seems fine. I'm not sure my scout needs to do too many more - its all over very quick against new ships. I dunno what loadout he's using, but rocket pods don't need a lock-on btw.

Tip for you - if it becomes a problem again, switch spawn locations? and tell your team to, as well.

Armonddd
02.22.2014 , 07:18 PM | #7
Nothing against you, but this is impossible. Heavy lasers fire at a rate of two per second and don't do nearly enough damage to two-shot anything ever (otherwise bombers would be even more ridiculous, and people would notice that because everyone's looking for reasons to call bombers ridiculous). There's no way any strike fighter can do enough damage in two shots with any laser to take someone from full hull and full shields all the way to dead without support from allies or missiles.

Quote:
Can crit hits do that much damage? Even with every possible power upgrade added to it?
Oh, absolutely. Burst cannons crit for over 1600, and slug railguns crit for an even 2400. Both of those numbers are before powerups.

Heavy lasers, though? Not a chance, not without damage overcharge.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Xianyu
02.22.2014 , 07:28 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by leehambly View Post
I think Amondd has already answered, 2 shots to an un-upgraded ship seems fine. I'm not sure my scout needs to do too many more - its all over very quick against new ships. I dunno what loadout he's using, but rocket pods don't need a lock-on btw.
Two LASER shots? I've played a lot of matches of starfighter and it's closer to twenty shots to destroy a strike fighter.

Next time I play a match against him, I'll just have to record it.

leehambly
02.22.2014 , 07:30 PM | #9
Two LASER shots? I've played a lot of matches of starfighter and it's closer to twenty shots to destroy a strike fighter.

Next time I play a match against him, I'll just have to record it.
But you're in an unloaded ship - why would you expect to do the same sort of damage? That would be like going into a warzone with no armour on and doing the same as someone in full... oh wait, I think I understand now.

Xianyu
02.22.2014 , 07:31 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
Nothing against you, but this is impossible. Heavy lasers fire at a rate of two per second and don't do nearly enough damage to two-shot anything ever (otherwise bombers would be even more ridiculous, and people would notice that because everyone's looking for reasons to call bombers ridiculous). There's no way any strike fighter can do enough damage in two shots with any laser to take someone from full hull and full shields all the way to dead without support from allies or missiles.

Oh, absolutely. Burst cannons crit for over 1600, and slug railguns crit for an even 2400. Both of those numbers are before powerups.

Heavy lasers, though? Not a chance, not without damage overcharge.
And that's why I'm pissed off and confused.

I didn't think it was possible for a strike fighter to two-shot another strike fighter. And there were no missiles involved at all.

But who knows? Maybe there was a gunship hovering just in range and shot me while he was firing.

He was definitely using heavy lasers/something of that ilk. They were coming from the tips of his wings. Large beams. Slow firing.