Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game Update 2.7 Sentinel Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight > Sentinel
Game Update 2.7 Sentinel Changes

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

mcpark
02.22.2014 , 02:30 PM | #181
Quote: Originally Posted by Leafy_Bug View Post
Watchman for PVP, what sorcery is this? You guys want the game to implode ?
Well its more of less flag pvp with don't hurt the sorc or sniper.

Dyvim
02.22.2014 , 03:55 PM | #182
Quote: Originally Posted by mcpark View Post
Wait wasn't it the whining of bads that got it nerfed over and over again.
Yep, hence the irony...the spec only posted high numbers when up against bads that clustered like lemmings or didn't use the counters available to them...ah the hypocrisy...its almost as rampant in this thread as the amateurish dev work. Talk about substandard effort. Geesh. Good thing another brand new huge MMO based on a popular IP isn't right around the corner...oh, but it is....oooops.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

Raansu
02.22.2014 , 04:05 PM | #183
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
Yep, hence the irony...the spec only posted high numbers when up against bads that clustered like lemmings or didn't use the counters available to them...ah the hypocrisy...its almost as rampant in this thread as the amateurish dev work. Talk about substandard effort. Geesh. Good thing another brand new huge MMO based on a popular IP isn't right around the corner...oh, but it is....oooops.
Ya but too bad ESO is terrible. I don't see that game doing well at all. Even the most hard core ES fans are bashing it. I've been playing the crap out of the wildstar closed beta though. Now that game I see killing the pvp population in swtor.

Dyvim
02.22.2014 , 04:36 PM | #184
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Ya but too bad ESO is terrible. I don't see that game doing well at all. Even the most hard core ES fans are bashing it. I've been playing the crap out of the wildstar closed beta though. Now that game I see killing the pvp population in swtor.
Yeah, Ive heard that, but people will still try it...this game was terrible too at launch and in many ways still is when it comes to pvp and endgame...that is why it has a fraction of its original playerbase and is f2p...and is considered a joke by many in the MMO community. The last thing TOR needs is more unenlightened, careless dev nerfs like what is happening here.

A melee dps class with THREE trees, and only one pure build is going to be pvp viable....not top end, just viable compared to everything else....forget about the complexities of hybrids or anything else. That is complete, total, and epic fail. EAWARE devs, that means 2/3rds of your work product is pure crap. Two years into the game, you should be expanding the number of viable, fun, playable builds, NOT shrinking them to ONE CHOICE. Designers should be fired. Now. This IS going to cost you money EAWare. It would one thing to be dumb enough to come up with it in the first place, but then to be so thick as to not see the stupidity when it is pointed out to you....that is unacceptable. Sack 'em and get someone who has a clue and can do more than phone in nerf craptasms.

EzioMessi
02.22.2014 , 07:29 PM | #185
Bioware, I have a few questions to ask, and hopefully there'll be some sort of answer:

1) Force Sweep now requires a Primary Target to activate. First off, is this change really needed? It does nothing to nerf Focus spec at all. All it nerfs is the other 4 specs, who now no longer have the ability to interrupt targets behind them without targetting them (or wasting Awe) and they can't pop Stealthers with a well times Sweep anymore.

Is there any reasoning behind this change? Did Bioware actually weigh out the pros and cons of this and decide that the nerf to the other 4 specs is justified? If so, how?

Or am I misreading it, and this restriction on Sweep is only intended for Focus spec, and Sweep remains unchanged for the other specs.

2) Focus is an incredibly unviable spec without it's high AoE burst. I understand that the damage Focus was doing was overtuned, but come 2.7, Sweep is just an incredibly strong single-target ability with a moderate AoE component.

Except, now this single-target ability is affected by the 30% AoE damage reduction that various classes have (including this class itself). When we go up against anyone with that talent spec'd into, they don't even have to pop a DCD to nullify a third of the damage we're gonna do to them. That defence is justified pre-2.7 because we're hitting between 2 to 5 targets for 7-9k damage. But now, we hit 1 target for 7-9k, and the other 1-4 for about 2-5k damage. If the primary target happens to have that talent point, we're pretty much screwed. The hardest we can hit them is 6k, followed by about 3k to all the others, which is nowhere near enough burst to actually kill something.

Has Bioware considered the above factors before designing these changes? Are these going to be solved, or has it been decided that the big nerf is justifiable?
Jung Ma - The Assassino Legacy <Dark Legion Empire>
Aetios - Level 55 Sentinel

Dyvim
02.22.2014 , 11:56 PM | #186
The simple truth is, if they really want to screw the tree up this bad, they need to redo the whole thing. It is an aoe spec with no strong aoe.

Another simple question....what do I get for the 5 or more skill points you just made next to worthless? What do I get to replace the singularity synergy for the top box (force exhaustion). Can you guys really be this poor at design?

You might want to take a break and smell what you are shoveling....unless of course you want to kill the spec, harm the class and severely limit player choice...in that case, good work. I just don't think it will be good for you or your product...lol.

Helmholtzz
02.23.2014 , 02:35 PM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
If its clearly op, how is it not clearly the damage leader above every other spec every single time? It isn't. If its damage is sooooo OP and outrageous, how is it still just fine as is for PvE???
What Leaderboard are you talking about? The Operations boss fights leaderboard? Smash in OP in PvP. It was fine in PvE. That's why this change was done only for PvP. PvE smash stays the same.
Dead on Arrival Begeren Colony
Ascension Jedi Covenant
Instead of loving your enemies - treat your friends a little better.
Rööt Baree Dragonslayer Infernõ

Ardarell_Solo
02.24.2014 , 09:41 AM | #188
Quote: Originally Posted by TaitWatson View Post

Force Sweep now requires a Primary target to activate.
Does this mean that targets 5m around the PRIMARY TARGET are damaged or does it stay the way it is now, i.e. targets 5m around the PLAYER are damaged?
El'ethon (Sentinel) | Rickmyron (Gunslinger) | Alreegan (Sage)
Craeg (Scoundrel) | Dacs (Commando) | Vayus (Guardian)
<Taking the Jawas to Alderaan>
T3-M4

royhenderson
02.26.2014 , 02:28 PM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by mcpark View Post
Welp this is a good thing in a way focus does suck its one true purpose was to put pressure on the healers. The truth is knight/warrior classes just hands down suck this nerf has really made me weigh the options and they both suck stay focus or use a spec that's only really good with a 4 man premade inside a rated WZ and teamspeak. At first ill say I was mad that focus was getting nerfed but its not that its that there is nothing else we can use that even comes close to what we got out of it.
Pressure on the healers? What what operatives? Sages? Commandos? Sorcerers? I guess BIOWARE thinks the game's only healer is a scoundrel...every getting buffed scoundrels getting nerfed lol.

Trogusaurus
02.27.2014 , 12:18 PM | #190
I'm sure someone may have mentioned this already, but I would like to point out that the force target change for Sweep/Smash is a loss of a valuable anti-stealth utility for all 3 Sentinel trees in an already deplorable stealth prevention movepool, PvPwise. I'm not even a Smash Monkey, and I could make good use of Sweep to try and break the enemy from stealth before setting up the usual stun chain. Now any equally skilled/geared Sent vs. stealther fight requires an incredible amount of luck and timing for any dual sabered candidate to ever come out on top.