Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

idnewton
02.22.2014 , 12:42 PM | #2121
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post
Your primary job as DPS is to stay alive. Dead DPS is useless to any group no matter how well geared everyone else is.
Let me guess, you main a healer.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 15 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
30/30 DREAD FORTRESS PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP

Khevar
02.22.2014 , 02:46 PM | #2122
Your primary job as DPS is to stay alive. Dead DPS is useless to any group no matter how well geared everyone else is.

Primary job?

If one is talking about things a dps needs to pay attention to, it should include following the kill order, using interrupts, not standing in red circles, doing enough damage to beat an enrage timer, keeping adds off the healer, knowing when to use group buffs, etc.

If all my attention is on "saying alive" the group would suffer for it.

mastirkal
02.22.2014 , 03:10 PM | #2123
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Primary job?

If one is talking about things a dps needs to pay attention to, it should include following the kill order, using interrupts, not standing in red circles, doing enough damage to beat an enrage timer, keeping adds off the healer, knowing when to use group buffs, etc.

If all my attention is on "saying alive" the group would suffer for it.
A DPS's primary job is to DPS.
<Hatred>
Dragonslayer Remari the Sin Tank
*Has a spooky mask*

venomlash
02.22.2014 , 03:38 PM | #2124
I was taking my 55 Commando through KDY, specced for Assault at the time I think. Of course, because why not, the Shadow in the group was using a single saber. There is not enough WHY in the galaxy.
Oh also, on the starship assembly step after I explained the puzzle, someone started the assembly while I was still running around fixing stuff, so we had to fight the droids.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

Khevar
02.22.2014 , 04:06 PM | #2125
Quote: Originally Posted by mastirkal View Post
A DPS's primary job is to DPS.
Of course it is. Nowhere did I claim otherwise.

Do you disagree with the point I made about "things a dps needs to pay attention to"?

Halinalle
02.22.2014 , 05:08 PM | #2126
Your question makes little sense in response to what I said. He said a tank who does taunt is like a dps who doesn't agro drop and use defensive cool downs. I said it's more akin to a dps not using their signature ability in their rotation. So again, your question doesn't make sense.
Do you use Saber Ward always when it is ready as Anni Marauder? Or add Force Camouflage to rotation when it is ready?

Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
Let me guess, you main a healer.
-3/10
It's tie between Immortal Juggernaut and Infil Shadow.
I have 0 healers out of 17 characters I currently have.

I-Win-Button
02.22.2014 , 06:32 PM | #2127
I figured I'd share one from my Kuat run tonight. Fresh level 15 heal operative.

I drop into a partly completed run and the first thing I get is being asked to hurry up by the DPS sorceror because they didn't have all night. As I run to catch up I check what I'm dealing with. 3 DPS, sorceror, marauder and assassin. We get through the area they had already started but I'm already getting an inkling of why they lost their previous member.

The next area we get is the armory. It went well for the first two pulls, after which the group seemed to want to pull at least two packs at once before anyone was even healed to full. We get to the 'boss' (for lack of a better term) at the end of the armory and the assassin DPS is sent forwards like the tank they clearly aren't while I'm told to only heal.

"Alright, let's run with this" I think and a few seconds into the fight it becomes clear that I can quite easily throw in some damage too. By the end of the fight everyone is on at least 90% with the exception of the assassin, who was on around 60%. Not perfect but a success at any rate.

We then go on to the final boss, the Major. By this point the sorcerer had left and we got our replacement, another marauder if I remember correctly (might have been a juggernaut). We get to the boss and our original marauder (let's call him marauder A) isn't with us, probably back at the elevator. Not that I had time to check as the assassin goes to pull the Major anyway.

Most here probably know that the Major throws grenades. Most also probably know how to remove the grenades so they don't take off a large chunk of health. Marauder B clearly didn't and loses a chunk of health and I fail to heal him enough to account for the second handful of grenades, having to also heal our assassin DPS. I then proceed to get gunned down by the adds that were running free and as I go to respawn I notice that Marauder A has turned up at some point.. A couple of runs back to the boss later and we wipe.

Take two. Marauder B asks whether you can remove the grenades and what the arrays are for and while I'm typing a response (admittedly probably too long but I wanted it to be done right the second time around) Marauder A and the assassin decide that it's a wonderful time to pull. We do a little better thanks to having everyone present for the pull this time but wipe after Marauder B is killed by the grenades and I'm killed by the two packs of adds because it turns out that Marauder B was the only one trying to kill them off and without him the first pack wasn't killed.

Third run back, we stop before pulling this time and I take the opportunity to explain how to remove the grenades to Marauder B and ask that the adds are killed when they spawn. As I finish I see a vote to kick pop up in the chat box and my heart sinks as I expect the other two to try to kick Marauder B. Then I notice that I'm not being given any options and notice that the kick is actually for me because I was apparently not healing.

I then proceed to get kicked and all I can do is feel sorry for Marauder B and whoever else gets stuck with them (Alongside feeling relieved that I can happily queue up again without the lockout, which landed me with a wonderfully competent group).
- An English fellow.

mastirkal
02.22.2014 , 07:28 PM | #2128
Do you use Saber Ward always when it is ready as Anni Marauder? Or add Force Camouflage to rotation when it is ready?
Wow I can't tell if you're trolling me or literally just this stupid.

1. Using a taunt in your rotation makes you a good tank, it would be the same thing if a marksman sniper never used follow through. Sure you could do it, but you're ****.
Is what I am refering to this entire time. If you think what I said above is mean. I didn't think I'd actually have to spell all this out and get into an argument about what a tank not using a taunt is akin towards.
<Hatred>
*Has a spooky mask*

Halinalle
02.23.2014 , 01:03 AM | #2129
Is what I am refering to this entire time. If you think what I said above is mean. I didn't think I'd actually have to spell all this out and get into an argument about what a tank not using a taunt is akin towards.
You don't waste your taunt at any possible moment. You save it to the moment when dps pulls the aggro off you or when you have to swap targets with second tank.

mastirkal
02.23.2014 , 01:17 AM | #2130
You don't waste your taunt at any possible moment. You save it to the moment when dps pulls the aggro off you or when you have to swap targets with second tank.
No, you use it to stack 10-30% on your own agro over and over again before the dps have a chance to pull and the tanking sub forums have shown that that is well indeed possible. DPS should never have agro at any time on a boss mob. by pulling your agro and the other tanks agro out of reach of the dps you are ensuring your job is done, before the boss is even slightly finished. Basically, why the hell would you gamble when you don't have to? the same is said for dps. Don't hold back if the tank can't do his job, your job is to kill the mob before it kills you. Part of that dps is knowing when to agro drop, knowing, when to pop defensive cool downs and knowing where to stand. Tanks need to be strict on their rotation, know when to taunt and if they lose agro, know the best way to get it back and keep it.

What we get from this mentality is a conflict of interest where the dps are actively going all out to burn the boss down and potentially pull the mob away from the tank and the tank holding on for dear life to keep that mob on him. What comes of this is more well established threat and more dps done on the boss. That is ideal.
<Hatred>
*Has a spooky mask*