Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game Update 2.7 Sentinel Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight > Sentinel
Game Update 2.7 Sentinel Changes
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Dyvim
02.21.2014 , 04:52 PM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by AngusFTW View Post
Because most smashers you see in regular wzs are pretty terrible.
This really is such BS. Yeah, its possible, but another, equally likely reason is that they are decent or good players up AGAINST other DECENT or GOOD players that actually take advantage of the near endless ways to not let a sweep hit 3-5 players for 8-10k at once time. If you want to try and argue that there aren't a ton of counters in this game to melee sweep, then you might want to save yourself the trouble because any player with any experience knows better.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

cs_zoltan
02.21.2014 , 04:53 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
This makes no sense...there are plenty of terrible players in this game, and elitist jerks that just think they aren't terrible and don't realize that their attitude makes them sux.. An OP spec is an OP spec.

You and jaded players like Angus, with a ridiculous axe to grind, cant have it both ways. If the spec is so OP and makes bad players so good, you cant sit here and say oh, but it doesn't appear to be OP so many times because it is played by poor players...that is a ridiculous statement. According to all the hate, you don't have to be good to get OP numbers from it. This is of course a lie, when you consider all the counters to it and the nature of melee in the game. There is STILL the same spread of results, just like with any spec.

Is it OP compared to other dps specs that routinely put up equivalent or better numbers...or not? A reasonable person knows the answer to this....if they don't let their emotions get in the way.
What is ridiculous is you protecting a so clearly OP spec that everyone know it, some bads are denying it because...well they are bads and they need an unfair advantage to compete.

Let me explain it to you. There are 4 times (guessing) as many Focus play as anything else (operative healers not counting) so obviously there are more bads playing it especially since it's so *********** easy to play. The difference is bad players from other specs (operative healers not counting again) are terrible, Bad Focus players are tolerable.
The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
Kja || Kejann || Snsa || Kyr Meirend || Myr || Kte || Jeanene || Maelin
The Ebon Hawk <Aisthesis>
Medin

Dyvim
02.21.2014 , 04:58 PM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by cs_zoltan View Post
What is ridiculous is you protecting a so clearly OP spec that everyone know it, some bads are denying it because...well they are bads and they need an unfair advantage to compete.

Let me explain it to you. There are 4 times (guessing) as many Focus play as anything else (operative healers not counting) so obviously there are more bads playing it especially since it's so *********** easy to play. The difference is bad players from other specs (operative healers not counting again) are terrible, Bad Focus players are tolerable.
And let me explain it to you....the focus players would ONLY be bad and tolerable as you put it, if they are up against other BAD players that are stupid enough to cluster in the same 5m radius, and not use any of the gazillions counters or damage mitigators or cc's that are in the game against the all too obvious one trick pony focus players.

Like I said, the real irony here is that the spec only puts up its high damage numbers when the players its against are clueless, cluster, and don't avail themselves of the countless powers or abilities in the game that allow them to avoid or mitigate that damage.

Decorus_PT
02.21.2014 , 05:01 PM | #164
Curious how this will go after 2.7, focus/rage is not very viable for PvE and won't be for PvP I can only assume.

But taking basicly out the AOE from a spec that the only purpose IS to AOE is to make of a car a bycicle... from 4 to 2 wheels, from speed to "pedal if you wanna reach the goal line" Oh please.

As someone said expecting maassive unsubbing after 2.7, well I am defenetly expecting that and not only because TESO is coming, but it's destroying completly a spec, sentinels won't get a well deserved buff in watchman, combat is still combat, focus well gone, guardians will be...guardians vigilance imho is not viable for PvP and again focus is gone, the defensive cooldows for a guardian DPS are...well they aren't any, you have saber ward, yay? Other than that I don't see great changes that can give a bit to guardian/sentinel focus it's a major and very undeservig nerf.

When I play a healer or tank or other non-smasher class and or specs, I don't feel afraid or in danger, a good smasher is still a force to reckon with, but then again, why the nerf? because some people have been saying nerf it pretty please? When the majority of the players have a smasher? And those who haven't perhaps don't have the right mind-set or focus to play the spec, due to the constant movement and positioning to properly sweep/smash? Most likely. From all specs and classes this was the least expected, nerf after nerd on focus/rage because it was OP? I don't think so, I get hi by 10k and hit back with 10k, so what? personally it shouldn't be nerfed but buffed to give a real chance for this spec for many players in PvE and to stay the same in PvP, for along time this class was no longer the FOTM, while assassins/shadows and Scoundrel/Operatives have been buffed over and over againas well as Sorcs and Sages. But if you're making a campaing, my dear Devs, I hope you nerf in that case *ALL* AOE; mortar volley, lighting storm, force quake, etc..etc.. you started with the XS Flyby/Orbital Strike, you might as well delete the spec Focus/Rage and add a fresh new one and remove *ALL* AOE abilities from every class and spec to make it fair for all no? No... of course not because it's ridiculous and preposterous, just like the work you just displayed by nerfing a spec that ONLY can AOE.

I guess I'll write a ticket everytime I see sages and sorcs spamming AOE faking a rage OMG NERF NERF NERF they did me a doo doo oh noes ;_;
Omnia vincit odium

Shaltin Tunnels - SYDE - Sentinel

Sappharan
02.21.2014 , 05:45 PM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hey everyone!

As we mentioned, we would bring you more information as updates came through on our end for Classes in Game Update 2.7. Below is an updated change to one of the changes coming for Sentinels. All of the other changes still stand.
  • When using Force Sweep, secondary targets will still be affected by the bonus damage granted by Swelling Winds.
Yeah, what about UN-NERFING gbtf? How about that? Since the developers, in their nescience, have elected to nerf Sentinels 3x without any buffs, how about giving us back what should never have been taken?

cs_zoltan
02.21.2014 , 05:55 PM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
And let me explain it to you....the focus players would ONLY be bad and tolerable as you put it, if they are up against other BAD players that are stupid enough to cluster in the same 5m radius, and not use any of the gazillions counters or damage mitigators or cc's that are in the game against the all too obvious one trick pony focus players.

Like I said, the real irony here is that the spec only puts up its high damage numbers when the players its against are clueless, cluster, and don't avail themselves of the countless powers or abilities in the game that allow them to avoid or mitigate that damage.
If noone ever groups up then what do you care about this nerf?
The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
Kja || Kejann || Snsa || Kyr Meirend || Myr || Kte || Jeanene || Maelin
The Ebon Hawk <Aisthesis>
Medin

Dyvim
02.21.2014 , 06:25 PM | #167
If noone ever groups up then what do you care about this nerf?
Fair question. The point I made earlier was that people do cluster in the game for specific mechanics, like heals, protections, etc. Therefore, the game needs opposing mechanics, like aoe damage, that can discourage or counter the circle heals, mass taunt protections, various guards, whatever. Without it, people would just stand on top of each other like doing a flippin raid boss....

Now, the ONLY MELEE aoe spec In the game IS GONE to work against those clustering mechanics. Got it? And the obvious point is, that even with the aoe spec, there was still numerous counters to the focus spec, like knockbacks, stuns, damage mitigators, force push, etc., etc. etc.

Raansu
02.21.2014 , 06:47 PM | #168

Yep, its so OP that no one even uses it in ranked anymore and have not used it in ranked since like a month after arenas went live

mcpark
02.21.2014 , 08:17 PM | #169
Honestly it looks better but the truth is smash really is dead most players don't play it anymore and even more know how to avoid it. The real can of worms that this has opened is how weak the spec is without smash, the other abilities need to be buffed everything outside of smash is weak.

Tevzz
02.21.2014 , 08:19 PM | #170
Quote: Originally Posted by redcatt View Post
I don't play warrior or knight but I think that this nerf is COMPLETE overkill. I think they should've kept the 100% crit chance for AoE but still gotten rid of the singularity (100% more damage) that way you still do a little bit more AoE but you dont crit 5 people for 8k. Just my 2 cents!
Pretty much what I've been saying for a loooong time. Keep either singularity or Crit on secondary targets. Singularity add 100%, Crit adds 90% and makes it unblockable, there ya go.
Vanov - CarnageVanv - VengeanceDarrthvanov - DeceptionVnv - FocusVa'nov - APVnov - Concealment
The Shadowlands - Reading Rainbow