Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game Update 2.7 Sentinel Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight > Sentinel
Game Update 2.7 Sentinel Changes

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Vodrin
02.21.2014 , 08:23 AM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by XnibiruX View Post
So this is basically a nerf for all the bad players that QQ'ed? If people didn't stack on top of each other so much, or took their 30% aoe damage reduction, there probably wouldn't be so many whiners. My concern with this nerf is that combat and focus are equal in total damage, atm. So basically Sents will only have one spec to pvp with from now on. I find it funny they make all these nerfs based off the babies that don't know how to play. It's like the shadow healing nerf, people need to learn what their interrupt spells are and use them. I have a sent, shadow, gunslinger, commando and lvling a sage. I have no problem beating a sent on my other chars, no problem beating a shadow on my other chars, etc. Instead of all the nerfing they should make a pvp class for noobs. Bads don't realize that you need to know the other class as well as your own. When to stun, interrupt, use certain abilities, etc. And the gunslinger change? why, we have way more than enough survivability.
While I agree that this was an overnerf, lets not pretend that focus was ever equal to combat in single target damage. There is a reason most of the competitive arena teams switched to combat. The single target burst is just much better.

And don't fool yourself by thinking any of these class changes are due to forum QQ. These changes were made because of some arcane statistics and metrics compiled by BW. You can agree or disagree with them (and I think the focus/rage changes are overly harsh, making singularity alone affect the nearest target if no target is selected, and the selected target if in range would have been sufficient), but don't believe they are due to QQ.

g_mK
02.21.2014 , 10:05 AM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by redcatt View Post
I don't play warrior or knight but I think that this nerf is COMPLETE overkill. I think they should've kept the 100% crit chance for AoE but still gotten rid of the singularity (100% more damage) that way you still do a little bit more AoE but you dont crit 5 people for 8k. Just my 2 cents!
This has been my proposition all along. 8k crits on main target 4k crits on the other targets
Jedi Sentinel Dn-Qujote de'la-Mancha the Eternal Warrior

CourtneyWoods
02.21.2014 , 01:52 PM | #143 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone!

As we mentioned, we would bring you more information as updates came through on our end for Classes in Game Update 2.7. Below is an updated change to one of the changes coming for Sentinels. All of the other changes still stand.
  • When using Force Sweep, secondary targets will still be affected by the bonus damage granted by Swelling Winds.
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Venjirai
02.21.2014 , 02:16 PM | #144
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hey everyone!

As we mentioned, we would bring you more information as updates came through on our end for Classes in Game Update 2.7. Below is an updated change to one of the changes coming for Sentinels. All of the other changes still stand.
  • When using Force Sweep, secondary targets will still be affected by the bonus damage granted by Swelling Winds.
We don't need this, you can even let it hit just one target.
We do need more single target damage like autocrit on bladestorm after Smash and the activation of riposte for 3 seconds.
Taten > Worte

Capt_Beers
02.21.2014 , 02:33 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by Venjirai View Post
We don't need this, you can even let it hit just one target.
We do need more single target damage like autocrit on bladestorm after Smash and the activation of riposte for 3 seconds.
Not sure if serious...
<HVND> - Harbinger - <HVND>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keith-Stone 55 Combat Medic | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 55 Arsenal | | Kee'th 55 Pyrotech

Venjirai
02.21.2014 , 02:57 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
Not sure if serious...
Not sure if serious...

Maybe you are fine derping bads in random warzones but after this change, smash will be dead in arenas.
We need higher single target damage for bursting targets down, smash alone is not enough.
Taten > Worte

Raansu
02.21.2014 , 03:59 PM | #147
Hey everyone!

Why don't you just make singularity a debuff and let swelling winds and felling blow work as normal and only make the main target get hit with singularity buff...I'm glad the devs are reconsidering, but this is still going to hurt the spec pretty badly. At the very least let smashers keep the auto crit.

Dyvim
02.21.2014 , 04:01 PM | #148
Hey everyone!

I have lost what little faith in this dev team I had left. This is pure lunacy.

While you are trying to convince yourself what you have done is reasonable, I'll again ask the following questions:

1) WHAT is the role of focus now? It was built around one skill, with aoe damage. You have gutted it.

2) If you figured out that the change would kill the spec in pve, how is it NOT going to kill it in PvP?

3) Sorc's, Sin's, Snipers, Merc's....all these classes have dps specs that can rival or outdo focus. You are actually ENHANCING some of these, and none of them are getting the nerfbat like focus. WHY? Sorc's routinely put up larger damage numbers, particularly....and as ranged, are easier to play, with a much simpler resource management scheme...Sorc's are getting even MORE interrupt protection, dps enhancement and bubble protection. If I cant damage them, and cant interrupt them, *** am I supposed to do, other than get stunned, knockbacked, and/or electrocuted?

4) WHAT AM I GETTING for all those skill points that enhance the ONE power, sweep, that the ENTIRE focus tree is built around? Like the FIVE points in Felling Blow and Singularity??? Or the one MAJOR synergy of Force Exhaustion with singularity??? You take, you take, you take, and nothing is given back.

5) Focus DOES NOT have the ability to do the kind of damage now a dps should. You just gutted it. Its single target is a joke.

6) There are myriad defenses and counters to sweep...everything from taunts, mass taunts, guard bubbles for damage reduction, to pushes, knockbacks, roots, snares, and more stuns in this game than god can count. Good players know these and use them. Baddies qq for other classes to be nerfed. There are ALOT of advantages to grouping up in this game...the proximity of heals, protections, etc. There should be penalties to that, like real aoe damage. You just killed the only real melee aoe damage spec in the game. Why? Melee has a ton of disadvantages. Its not like this game has ever pampered, or been particularly enlightened in how it has handled melee. Now you are just giving us the proverbial finger. Really.

Please try to answer or address any of these issues, it would really be enlightening and/or entertaining. If not to us, try to do it to yourself and keep a straight face.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

TonyDragonflame
02.21.2014 , 04:01 PM | #149
Hey everyone!

Smash nerf hit very hard and destroy fun and gameplay for thousands old players who play smash since 1.4. Awaiting massive unsubbing after 2.7.
May the Force be with you!
Guardian vr 100 | Sentinel vr 93 | Scoundrel vr 91 | Vanguard vr 90 | Shadow v 85 | Guns v 75
Manhunter 140+k killed imps | TRE | ToFN

cs_zoltan
02.21.2014 , 04:03 PM | #150
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
Smash nerf hit very hard and destroy fun and gameplay for thousands old players who play smash since 1.4. Awaiting massive unsubbing after 2.7.
If your fun is roflstomping with a clearly owerpowered spec, then noone will miss you
The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
Kja, Kejann, Snsa, Kyr, Lama Maelin
The Ebon Hawk <Aisthesis>
Medin