Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nerf Ion Railgun

DroidDreamer
02.21.2014 , 03:00 AM | #41
I don't mind gunships. I fly one. I don't mind ion railguns generally. I use one. But they are overtuned right now. They drain too much energy too easily. If one shot doesn't drain it all the next shot will. And it's AOE.

A few tweaks would make it better such as:

--a reduction of energy drain
--energy drain that is proportionate to the amount of railgun charge
--and so on.

I think the evasion tweaks and bypass changes were good changes. Scouts no longer feel invulnerable. Railgun no longer one-shot people (except in TDM with the damage boost buff). Those ships are still playable. They're just not OP. The ion railgun needs similar fixes, not to make it useless but to bring it in line with other tools.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

DroidDreamer
02.21.2014 , 03:05 AM | #42
One little aside: it's interesting how certain players who used to play scouts have migrated over to gunships following the evasion nerf.

Draw your own conclusions.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

TheOldDruid
02.21.2014 , 04:07 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by DroidDreamer View Post
One little aside: it's interesting how certain players who used to play scouts have migrated over to gunships following the evasion nerf.

Draw your own conclusions.
As we are on the same server, you would think that I would recognize any of the mid/good scout fighters, on the pub side, that 'migrated'. But I don't. With the introduction of TDM maps, many have been forced to outfit and fly gunships, in order to remain competitive and provide support to the team. When flying my scout, I hate getting hit by ion rail. If I am in a dog fight, only a miracle can keep me flying. I use TT and not booster recharge, so I am a sitting target for many a long second. But if I do get away, or after re-spawn, I track down the gun ship. And it will leave the area or die (given it dose not have a team protector). No amount of ion rail gun can save it. When I am on my gunship and a scout/strike/another gunship, takes the time to sneak up on me, I feel very fortunate if I can avoid giving the enemy a kill point by fleeing to my cap ship. Again, because no amount of (my) ion rail gun will save me. In fact, I would challenge anyone to name a load out on a gun ship that will enable it to dogfight either a scout or strike. I don't know how well a GS would do 1 vs 1 on a bomber, never had that happen yet. Is ion rail powerful? Absolutely. Is it OP relative to everything else that's out there? No. Not in my opinion. (Ever tried flying a scout in a confined space(B or C in domination) while an enemy is laying mines or drones while your fighting another scout?) I say again, if your afraid of gunships, learn to fight with the ship of your choice. Once you have begun to really get the feel of whatever it is that your flying, you will not feel intimidated by gunships. They have a place, a purpose, but they are far from being unstoppable. Bwulf/Arkillews POT5 Look forward to seeing you on the battle field.