Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bolstered Mods vs. Obroan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bolstered Mods vs. Obroan
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

sithBracer's Avatar


sithBracer
02.18.2014 , 03:44 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
Well considering it affects every class and gives some insight on PvP gear vs. Bolster, I think that's a bit more important than your upcoming nerf.
It's non-consequential. Big deal some weapons give a bit more stats than their obroan counterpart, gear grinds gets a bit shorter and it is still useless in OWPvP. It doesn't break any classes or trees, just makes whiners who never liked bolster because they got butthurt by better players after it came out, whine louder. I would rather the devs spend more time handling ... idk bosnia's problems than something this small.
Ma'kaela - jedi shadow in training
Mákaela - assassin in the shadows

redfour's Avatar


redfour
02.18.2014 , 03:50 PM | #12
First of all, I want to say I am not normally this negative, but I think this is wrong. I am no expert on the bolster system, however I have used the voss MH/OH item modifications vs min/maxed obroan weapons and learned the following:

I guess I don't understand your reasoning being the "stat sacrifice" argument about the voss mods. With mix/maxing gear most classes take out alacrity anyway, so that part doesn't matter. Most gear sets come with too much crit so you take most of that out, and you DO NOT get more HP with obroan weapons than you do with MH/OH with voss mods, enh, hilts/barrels, augs + crystals. Players generally get approximately 2000 more health when running with Voss MH/OH than with obroan.

What annoys me is that we spend so much time grinding out the "best" weapons (obroan) and they aren't even as good as weapons you can make yourself at the minimal cost of a few planetary comms and a few credits. I am sorry, but a free buff should NEVER be on par with the top tier of gear. The argument of sacrificing stats using the voss mods does not make sense because the gain is tremendous and the loss is very minimal.

On top of this, when you say there is room for min/maxing your gear vs the voss mods to increase the gap, when you put the lower mods in you are choosing the same set of stats in i.e. power + surge, as you would in the obroan weapons. This is essentially min/maxing the voss weapons.

Out of that post all I really learned is that I don't need to spend my wz comms on weapons anytime in the near future.

Ottoattack's Avatar


Ottoattack
02.18.2014 , 03:54 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
EXP doesn't affect tooltip ratings if power crystals were the problem you would only see 10HP differences, not 100-200HP.

The weapon damage on your stat sheet is not what I am talking about. Every MH/OH has a min/max damage rating that is not affected by bolster. As long as the PvE hilts/barrel is higher than Obroan, and you don't subject yourself to the bolster penalty, it will be BiS.
The weapon rating is irrelevant for the bolster as it considers everything to be 175 (lvl 78) regardless of the actual hilt/barrel/armoring rating. The only difference comes in the stats. What makes PvE weapons better or at least as good as obroan, is the power crystals. If the bolster expertise crystals as if they are power, obroan weapons will be BiS.

TaitWatson's Avatar


TaitWatson
02.18.2014 , 03:54 PM | #14 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by EzioMessi View Post
1. You say "both gear sets included a Power Crystals. How? Obroan only has Expertise crystals in it, and swappig it out nerfs our Expertise. Or am. I misreading what you said?

2. The issue is not about all the mods. It's just in the MH/OH, where the fact that level 46 blue weapons and PvE weaponse in a 69-63-61 combination get bolstered to full expertise, but because they have a +41 Power crystal, they get +18.86 bonus damage over Obroan, for only a minor loss in other stats. Has this issue been recognized and addressed?
Great questions!

1. That was just poorly worded on my part - the Obroan used its default crystal and the Power crystals were in the non-Obroan sets we used. We tested with two non-Obroan gear sets to get the differentials.

2. This is where the crystal issue I mentioned comes into play. Bolster should be taking into consideration the crystal in the weapon when it adds stats, but it currently isn't and thus the MH/OH are bolstering improperly. This is why you see the bonus damage over Obroan.
Tait "pariahloki" Watson
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Ottoattack's Avatar


Ottoattack
02.18.2014 , 03:58 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by TaitWatson View Post
Great questions!

1. That was just poorly worded on my part - the Obroan used its default crystal and the Power crystals were in the non-Obroan sets we used. We tested with two non-Obroan gear sets to get the differentials.

2. This is where the crystal issue I mentioned comes into play. Bolster should be taking into consideration the crystal in the weapon when it adds stats, but it currently isn't and thus the MH/OH are bolstering improperly. This is why you see the bonus damage over Obroan.
Thanks Tait. I appreciate you guys also present math this time around. And I do agree that the PvE weapons difference from PvP ones is inconsequential. It is still need to be addressed, but I agree it is not high priority.

revcrisis's Avatar


revcrisis
02.18.2014 , 04:00 PM | #16
With all due respect, you are absolutely wrong Tait. This is a WEAPON/OFFHAND issue only. Gear wise, Obroan is BIS. Simple question: Why does this not happen with the bolstered blue 48s? Why does this not happen with the purple 46s? This is a very specific mod/enhancement/barrel/hilt issue. It's only blue 46 - the 44s, 48s, 50s, etc do not scale as well. With blue 46, what you get is a significant increase in force/tech dmg at the expense of white damage - I'm talking almost 50 bonus damage. You also get about 2k MORE health, not less. Min/Max obroan weapons do not come close to BLUE 46 in terms of force/tech dmg. Blue 44? Not as good. Blue 48? Not as good. Purple 46? Not as good. I hope you see the trend here. If you deal primarily white damage (think marksmanship snipers), the blue 46s will be significantly detrimental. If you are a primarily force/tech AC (think sorcerers), blue 46 is BIS by a large margin.

honkymonkey's Avatar


honkymonkey
02.18.2014 , 04:03 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Ottoattack View Post
Thanks Tait. I appreciate you guys also present math this time around. And I do agree that the PvE weapons difference from PvP ones is inconsequential. It is still need to be addressed, but I agree it is not high priority.
So, the gear you need to grind out, save up for, win and loose over and over for are not BIS for its purpose; and that's not a high priority?

warstory's Avatar


warstory
02.18.2014 , 04:08 PM | #18
people are just trying to justify why they lose like i said before the difference is so minimal. I would leave it as is cause it allows crafters to get into the mix.
"Surely you know I could kill you just as easily with my lightsaber as I could with the force "

gblXsw's Avatar


gblXsw
02.18.2014 , 04:09 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
The weapon damage on your stat sheet is not what I am talking about. Every MH/OH has a min/max damage rating that is not affected by bolster. As long as the PvE hilts/barrel is higher than Obroan, and you don't subject yourself to the bolster penalty, it will be BiS.
Inside of Warzones an obroan 67 single handed Lightsaber has a weapons damage of 575-863. That's exactly the same as Dread Forged (78), even though it only has 445-668 outside of Warzones.

Ottoattack's Avatar


Ottoattack
02.18.2014 , 04:18 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by honkymonkey View Post
So, the gear you need to grind out, save up for, win and loose over and over for are not BIS for its purpose; and that's not a high priority?
Or use PvE ones and invest you PvP comms in other PvP pieces. If you already have the PvP ones you are not at a disadvantage anyway. PvE and PvP ones are around the same level. I understand it is frustrating to spend 3,500 RWZs comms and 1,500 WZs comms then learn that other cheap gear can perform around the same level, but at the same time, I would rather have the devs focus their attention on class balance and more content instead of putting priority to fix something that does not hinder the game play experience.