Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bolstered Mods vs. Obroan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bolstered Mods vs. Obroan
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TaitWatson's Avatar


TaitWatson
02.18.2014 , 03:09 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Everyone,

Over the past few weeks, we have been looking into your reports of lower level mods giving higher stats with bolster than Obroan gear. To test this, we checked the relative power of multiple gear sets against each other, which provides us with our “power differential” between players. We are currently shooting for about a 7% gap between bolstering and default Obroan mods, if you assume the same level of augments.

That said, we tested with a Lethality Sniper and found that there is about a 5% differential between Obroan and the bolstered lower level blue mods. This is with default Obroan mods, so there is some customization potential in the PvP gear that would further improve the gap. Both gear sets included Augments and a Power Crystal. Your results may vary depending on your class and specialization.

Bolster tends to favor pure power as a stat, so the lower blue mods WILL show higher bonus damage values vs default Obroan, which, in turn, grants slightly higher base damages on abilities at the sacrifice of other ratings and endurance. For example, with default Obroan, the Explosive Probe tooltip states it maxes at 3876 damage, while with the blue mods and bolster it tops out at 3915. However, Obroan has better alacrity (+0.06%), crit (+6.22%), and health (+343). In the end (and in a perfect rotation environment), the player wearing Obroan will win a duel.

So what we’re seeing is that, yes, if you’re willing to sacrifice other stats for damage output, these mods can be optimal for your play style. This is not our final design implementation and we are going to continue looking at the balance between default Obroan and bolster. However, we are currently okay with where it is, even being a bit less than the target. Do note that we are aware of an issue regarding Main Hand and Off-Hand gear when it comes to Expertise crystals vs. stat crystals, and are working on a solution. I don’t currently have an ETA for you, but will update you as I know more.

-tw
Tait "pariahloki" Watson
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Sangrar's Avatar


Sangrar
02.18.2014 , 03:14 PM | #2
thanks for the update Tait, good to see a dev monitoring this. Also, yellow text in the pvp forums, like seeing a double rainbow!!!

Yes first to post!
Click this REFFERAL LINK for free character transfer, free inventory slot, and one week free sub time for preferred and subscribed accounts! You can read more about it HERE

L-RANDLE's Avatar


L-RANDLE
02.18.2014 , 03:14 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TaitWatson View Post
Hi Everyone,

Over the past few weeks, we have been looking into your reports of lower level mods giving higher stats with bolster than Obroan gear. To test this, we checked the relative power of multiple gear sets against each other, which provides us with our “power differential” between players. We are currently shooting for about a 7% gap between bolstering and default Obroan mods, if you assume the same level of augments.

That said, we tested with a Lethality Sniper and found that there is about a 5% differential between Obroan and the bolstered lower level blue mods. This is with default Obroan mods, so there is some customization potential in the PvP gear that would further improve the gap. Both gear sets included Augments and a Power Crystal. Your results may vary depending on your class and specialization.

Bolster tends to favor pure power as a stat, so the lower blue mods WILL show higher bonus damage values vs default Obroan, which, in turn, grants slightly higher base damages on abilities at the sacrifice of other ratings and endurance. For example, with default Obroan, the Explosive Probe tooltip states it maxes at 3876 damage, while with the blue mods and bolster it tops out at 3915. However, Obroan has better alacrity (+0.06%), crit (+6.22%), and health (+343). In the end (and in a perfect rotation environment), the player wearing Obroan will win a duel.

So what we’re seeing is that, yes, if you’re willing to sacrifice other stats for damage output, these mods can be optimal for your play style. This is not our final design implementation and we are going to continue looking at the balance between default Obroan and bolster. However, we are currently okay with where it is, even being a bit less than the target. Do note that we are aware of an issue regarding Main Hand and Off-Hand gear when it comes to Expertise crystals vs. stat crystals, and are working on a solution. I don’t currently have an ETA for you, but will update you as I know more.

-tw
Tait the issue is not because of the crystal on MH/OH. It's the weapon damage associated with hilts/barrels. For most classes, that means most PvE hilt/barrel, with higher weapon damage than Obroan will be BiS....
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Treblt's Avatar


Treblt
02.18.2014 , 03:15 PM | #4
Thank you for a clarification, whether or not it was right is a different matter, but thank you for at least trying.
Mtofpo- Fajfyxc- Comedown

gblXsw's Avatar


gblXsw
02.18.2014 , 03:20 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
Tait the issue is not because of the crystal on MH/OH. It's the weapon damage associated with hilts/barrels. For most classes, that means most PvE hilt/barrel, with higher weapon damage than Obroan will be BiS....
But the weapon damage gets bolstered on Obroan to the level of 78s. In a Warzone no PvE Hilt/Barrel has a higher weapons damage than Obroan.

Glower's Avatar


Glower
02.18.2014 , 03:27 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TaitWatson View Post
However, we are currently okay with where it is
What a disappointment...
SWTOR goes F2P; 2014 PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)
2014 cantina, A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
2016 livestream: "RNG is exciting"

sithBracer's Avatar


sithBracer
02.18.2014 , 03:29 PM | #7
Wow, I didn't know you guys had so much free time to look into such a non consequential bug. It's not like almost every concealment op is complaining about the announced nerfs or anything, so I guess it is fine.
Ma'kaela - jedi shadow in training
Mákaela - assassin in the shadows

L-RANDLE's Avatar


L-RANDLE
02.18.2014 , 03:36 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by sithBracer View Post
Wow, I didn't know you guys had so much free time to look into such a non consequential bug. It's not like almost every concealment op is complaining about the announced nerfs or anything, so I guess it is fine.
Well considering it affects every class and gives some insight on PvP gear vs. Bolster, I think that's a bit more important than your upcoming nerf.
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

EzioMessi's Avatar


EzioMessi
02.18.2014 , 03:39 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TaitWatson View Post
Hi Everyone,

Over the past few weeks, we have been looking into your reports of lower level mods giving higher stats with bolster than Obroan gear. To test this, we checked the relative power of multiple gear sets against each other, which provides us with our “power differential” between players. We are currently shooting for about a 7% gap between bolstering and default Obroan mods, if you assume the same level of augments.

That said, we tested with a Lethality Sniper and found that there is about a 5% differential between Obroan and the bolstered lower level blue mods. This is with default Obroan mods, so there is some customization potential in the PvP gear that would further improve the gap. Both gear sets included Augments and a Power Crystal. Your results may vary depending on your class and specialization.

Bolster tends to favor pure power as a stat, so the lower blue mods WILL show higher bonus damage values vs default Obroan, which, in turn, grants slightly higher base damages on abilities at the sacrifice of other ratings and endurance. For example, with default Obroan, the Explosive Probe tooltip states it maxes at 3876 damage, while with the blue mods and bolster it tops out at 3915. However, Obroan has better alacrity (+0.06%), crit (+6.22%), and health (+343). In the end (and in a perfect rotation environment), the player wearing Obroan will win a duel.

So what we’re seeing is that, yes, if you’re willing to sacrifice other stats for damage output, these mods can be optimal for your play style. This is not our final design implementation and we are going to continue looking at the balance between default Obroan and bolster. However, we are currently okay with where it is, even being a bit less than the target. Do note that we are aware of an issue regarding Main Hand and Off-Hand gear when it comes to Expertise crystals vs. stat crystals, and are working on a solution. I don’t currently have an ETA for you, but will update you as I know more.

-tw
Thanks for the update on the issue Tait. I have a few questions though:

1. You say "both gear sets included a Power Crystals. How? Obroan only has Expertise crystals in it, and swappig it out nerfs our Expertise. Or am. I misreading what you said?

2. The issue is not about all the mods. It's just in the MH/OH, where the fact that level 46 blue weapons and PvE weaponse in a 69-63-61 combination get bolstered to full expertise, but because they have a +41 Power crystal, they get +18.86 bonus damage over Obroan, for only a minor loss in other stats. Has this issue been recognized and addressed?
The Harbinger - The Raider Legacy
Attair - Level 70 Sentinel
If you like my comment, please click my referral link for free goodies for both you and
me: http://www.swtor.com/r/3XbB9h

L-RANDLE's Avatar


L-RANDLE
02.18.2014 , 03:41 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by gblXsw View Post
But the weapon damage gets bolstered on Obroan to the level of 78s. In a Warzone no PvE Hilt/Barrel has a higher weapons damage than Obroan.
EXP doesn't affect tooltip ratings if power crystals were the problem you would only see 10HP differences, not 100-200HP.

The weapon damage on your stat sheet is not what I am talking about. Every MH/OH has a min/max damage rating that is not affected by bolster. As long as the PvE hilts/barrel is higher than Obroan, and you don't subject yourself to the bolster penalty, it will be BiS.
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango