Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

DevinMace
02.07.2014 , 12:15 PM | #261
So my 69-66-58 works for both MH and OH I'm pretty happy with them.

timtastic
02.09.2014 , 07:30 PM | #262
Hey guys, just wondering which is better to use. I'm using blue 66s for my armor pieces right now, are the purple 58s better? Tia!

L-RANDLE
02.10.2014 , 10:12 AM | #263
Quote: Originally Posted by timtastic View Post
Hey guys, just wondering which is better to use. I'm using blue 66s for my armor pieces right now, are the purple 58s better? Tia!
Remember, the point of this thread is that bolster doesn't differentiate between those to pieces. Either is favorable, unless you have the Obroan equivalent( MH/OH, excluded). The only difference is in secondary stats, but those to pieces are like one point higher on the blue 66. It's nothing to be concerned about. If you already have it, wear it.
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

periphelion
02.10.2014 , 08:10 PM | #264
Randle, do you know if there is a difference between 69/66/58 and 69/58/66? Wouldn't you want the enhancements to be secondary level since, to my understanding, the secondary mods (power, surge etc) are not bolstered but mainstat/end are?

It would be nice to see a breakdown of how bolster treats those stats individually.

Thanks!
Xider <Tranquility>

L-RANDLE
02.11.2014 , 09:37 AM | #265
Quote: Originally Posted by periphelion View Post
Randle, do you know if there is a difference between 69/66/58 and 69/58/66? Wouldn't you want the enhancements to be secondary level since, to my understanding, the secondary mods (power, surge etc) are not bolstered but mainstat/end are?

It would be nice to see a breakdown of how bolster treats those stats individually.

Thanks!
Which ever has the higher power stat. I don't know off hand, but since the 66 doesn't have a power heavy one the other might ne more favorable, but at the end the difference is pretty minor as we are already well past the DR on most applicable secondary stats..

Givemedanger
02.13.2014 , 06:45 PM | #266
So i tried the 46 mods today. My numbers on the scoreboard did improve. But i get this feeling (i know it's weird) like i'm doing less damage (but i see bigger numbers). People are dying faster with obroan mods but i see smaller numbers in game and on the scoreboard. I play my sorc for over 2 years and i think i can tell something is wrong with that bolster.

My conlusion is that bolster works "under the hood" if you have obroan/conqueror mods equipped + expertise crystals ofc. Some of you said that and probably have same conclusions.

ZillaElite
02.19.2014 , 10:16 AM | #267
Been away for a bit and like many of us, really hated the thought of going through the PVP gear grind., but with the info presented in this thread and the thoughtful discussion and testing that has been done, I am now immediately back into PVP-ing and doing well I might add.

I want to thank the OP and everybody that participated in testing out various options.
IMO this is the best PVP thread in the forums and should be stickied.

Thx
Shinigami
Harbinger

Christenn
02.21.2014 , 03:01 PM | #268
Not sure where else to ask this, so I thought I'd try here. I've been away from the game for 5 months now, so I'm trying to read up on the changes to pvp.

I wanted to play my guardian in defense spec in pvp. Here are my three questions:

1. In some places in the pvp forum here, people say 46/46/46 blues are better than the 69/63/61 purples combo. Is this true?

2. I've also read that shield/absorb face a harsh DR and defense is mostly useless. So, for any tanking class, is it better to just skip all defense/shield/absorb and stack main stat and endurance?

3. If you go 46/46/46 blues or 69/63/61 purples, what ear/implant is allowed?
Christen - Hybrid Sage DPS
Stoic - The Shadowlands Server

L-RANDLE
02.21.2014 , 07:56 PM | #269
Quote: Originally Posted by Christenn View Post
Not sure where else to ask this, so I thought I'd try here. I've been away from the game for 5 months now, so I'm trying to read up on the changes to pvp.

I wanted to play my guardian in defense spec in pvp. Here are my three questions:

1. In some places in the pvp forum here, people say 46/46/46 blues are better than the 69/63/61 purples combo. Is this true?
Combat Team says mathematically the blues are BiS right now, but I am still not convinced.

2. I've also read that shield/absorb face a harsh DR and defense is mostly useless. So, for any tanking class, is it better to just skip all defense/shield/absorb and stack main stat and endurance?
Stack END. Shield/Absorb is not very useful with all the crits in PvP, and Defense is a joke.

3. If you go 46/46/46 blues or 69/63/61 purples, what ear/implant is allowed?

Use the ones I posted on the OP or blue version of those for Tanks
In red...

Akushii
02.23.2014 , 01:46 PM | #270
Okay, so I spent a while playing around with different armorings/mods and these are the results that I got. Now note that I read the numbers of the character sheet after bolster. I don't know how reflective this is of the actual damage. Although I 'felt' while playing that it was quite reflective. This was done on on an Assassin playing deception spec. My base was a full conqueror set with an Obroan main hand, and 2 Obroan relics along with 13 gear augmented (missing one). In my experiment I played around with my wrist, belt, headpiece, mainhand and offhand. Here are various combinations. No stims were used.

Experiment 1:
Base test. All conqueror with 2 Obroan relic and Obroan mainhand.
Willpower: 2158
Bonus Melee Damage: 698.6
Bonus Force Damage: 1091.2 (This may be lower then expected as my headpiece had alacrity, what came with conqueror)
Crit: 22.31
Crit Bonus (surge): 75.09

Experiment 2:
46/46/46 blue on Headpiece, wrist, belt, MH, OH. The rest of the pieces were unchanged and still had the same conqueror pieces. Still using 2 obroan relic.
Willpower: 2165
Bonus Melee Damage: (Forgot to check)
Bonus Force Damage: 1255
Crit: 22.63
Crit Bonus (surge): 75.35

Experiment 3:
head/wrist/waist - All 58 purp.
Mainhand - 66/69/58
Offhand - 69/61/58
Willpower - 2098
Bonus Melee - 725.9
Bonus Force Damage - 1254
Crit: 21.32
Crit Bonus (surge): 75.55

Experiment 4:
wrist/waist/MH/OF - All 46 Blue
Head: - 61/61/61 purp.
Willpower: 2174
Bonus Melee: 733.0
Bonus Force: 1261.8
Crit: 22.99
Crit Bonus (surge): 75.63

For me this last combination worked the best. I also tried replacing single enhancements from 46 blue -> 61 purp for wrist and OH from Experiment 4 but that did worse. I also tried a full 46 gear (even replacing chest/hand/leg/feet), but that also made it worse. I encourage people to try out different scenarios and see what they get and figure out what's best. It's possible that I did not stumble upon the best combination yet. I will try some other combinations later to see if I can improve on it.
~Peace is a Lie~