Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Producer's Road Map 2014

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LukeTheGeek
02.10.2014 , 07:03 AM | #321
Just out of curiosity, when will the DF/DP NiM ops and the Tython/Korriban FPs be on the PTS?

Lord_Noch
02.11.2014 , 03:00 PM | #322
Personally, I wish they would give just a fraction of the attention on balancing shadow and assassin DPS to make them more desirable in high-end ops as they do creating new cartel packs / cartel items, designing more difficult ops (like Nightmare mode DF and DP), and even higher tiers of gear than we have (78's are fine until another expansion that raises the cap to 60, they are almost overpowered for soloable content, much "2-player" content is very possible and in fact easy to solo with 78 gear). Then again, as Jayne Cobb said in Firefly, "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak."

We are almost given new content TOO fast, EA games and Bioware give SWTOR players content 2 - 3 times faster than Blizzard gives WoW players content and 7 - 8 times faster than SOE used to give SWG players content. Unless someone has absolutely no life outside SWTOR so they can play 16 - 18 hours a day and play a tank, healer, or gunslinger / sniper as their main, they can't possibly exhaust the content before new content is released, it's overwhelming actually, especially if you are trying to level multiple alts for buffs, heroic moment abilities, buffs, and achievements! Why, pray tell, do we need NiM DF and DP before the new expansion? TFB HM was in original SWTOR when the level cap was 50, and although it was not live, S&V HM was on the test server, but TFB NiM and S&V NiM were not released until a good bit AFTER Makeb. And why do we need 81's or whatever the higher tier would be? What can you not do in 78's now that you would like to do? Solo level 55 HM FPs or 8M SM ops completely by yourself? Granted, Athiss is probably the easiest 55 HM FP, but I once two-manned HM Athiss with a healer who was LESS geared than I was, and I'm NOT a tank, I'm DPS! I was in 78's, my Nadia at the time was in 72's (she's in 78's now), I think the healer was in 72's and the healer's companion was in 69's or 66's. Granted it's level 50 content, but I have soloed the heroic 4 in the Black Hole region on both my shadow and my assassin with Nadia and Ashara as companions respectively, my shadow and assassin were in full 78's except the mainhand hilt, Nadia had some 78's but was mostly 72's, and Ashara was only in 72's. Yes, that's right, no healing companion! If someone who is NOT A TANK can 2-man HM Athiss with a less geared healer than himself, or one can solo the heroic 4 in the Black Hole region using a DPS companion instead of a healing companion, why in God's name do we need a tier higher than 78 right now?

And yes, the Cartel Market is EA Games's and Bioware's way of creating addition revenue besides subscriptions, and it (more than) reimburses the extra electricity, server bandwidth, and hardware needed for the free to pay and preferred players to be able to enjoy the game (to the limited extent they can without buying passes). And no, I'm not whining about F2P not getting enough, I am a VERY proud subscriber and I buy cartel coins occasionally as well. But why do we need so many new costumes from cartel packs? I can get the iconic characters from the original KotOR as well as Darth Revan who was in Star Wars lore long before Bioware developed KotOR. And I can understand an even skimpier bottom for female characters / companions than the slave / dancer outfits that is the first skimpy bottom ever for male characters / companions and the covert energy outfit to match for all but the top on women (slave and dancer outfits' tops are skimpier there than the covert torso is). But do we really need 200 or 300 different SETS of 5 - 7 armor pieces? Yes, I admit I'm a reputation addict, I've advanced all three cartel coin factions to legend, the first two from hypercrates I purchased with millions of credits from other players, the most recent one that I spent over $200 on cartel coins on, but I have so many pieces of armor that I've not been able to sell yet, even though my prices are almost always the lowest on the GTN on my server, simply because the market is oversaturated! I am planning on creating MORE characters to advance to level 9 or level 10 merely to get them to the fleet to give them cargo bay access for the items I can't sell! I would destroy some of them, but with my luck, the item(s) I destroy would be the most valuable items come next embargo.

They need to figure out some way to increase shadow and assassin DPS 20% or 25% on specials and auto attacks and 33% - 40% on abilities with a 15 second or longer cooldown without upsetting the PvP community too much by making them "overpowered". A couple weeks ago I suggested two different modes that can be instantly switched between, a PvE mode that deals the extra damage that would make them more desirable in ops and would make them unable to ATTACK other players in said mode (although they could still be attacked by other players, this mode would NOT make them immune to world PvP), and if they wished to PvP, they could switch to PvP mode and deal reduced damage but actually attack back if someone else attacked them. This would be a viable solution and (I'd think) fairly easy to implement. So why can't it be implemented? Add clickable buttons on the character portraits or something. My favorite characters to play are my shadow and my assassin, they are so much fun to play, and I don't think I should be forced to play on my characters I don't enjoy playing on as much and frankly aren't nearly as skilled at playing at since I don't enjoy them as much if I did wish to join more high-end ops than I do.

Then again, I guess the shadow and assassin community does not matter, we've taken a backseat for so long. I will be attending the Atlanta cantina tour, largely to ask the devs why they've given shadow and assassin the shaft since at least last April when they released the Makeb expansion, and I will request that they to slow down (not completely stop, just slow down) on creating more challenging ops, new tiers of gear, and new cartel packs / items so they can re-allocate some of their team to fixing giving DPS shadows and assassins the buff they need to be more desirable in ops. Since gunslingers and snipers deal so much more DPS than shadows and assassins and are easier for the tanks and healers to deal with since ranged DPS are not peeling aggro off the tanks as often or exposed to as many mechanics that could wipe a raid as melee DPS are, the only asset we can offer is stealth rezzing, which, if we fail, we can try again in 90 seconds (which often there are raid-wide AoEs by the boss or adds which cancel a stealth rez before it can be completed), if we do succeed, that will be the only time that fight unless the group wipes since non-combat resurrection of players is on a 15 minute timer for non-healers.

My account is a Collector's Edition account, I've played (and paid my subscription loyally without any lapse whatsoever since December 20, 2011, and have purchased at least $300 if not $400 in cartel coins. My opinion SHOULD matter. And therefore, I feel that, since my primary and favorite characters are indeed my shadow and assassin, the shadow and assassin community SHOULD matter.

NoFishing
02.11.2014 , 03:33 PM | #323
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Noch View Post
but TFB NiM and S&V NiM were not released until a good bit AFTER Makeb.
RotHC was released April 9th, 2013.
TfB NiM was released June 12, 2013.
S&V NiM was released July 10, 2013.

So both modes were released within 3 months of Makeb, while DF and DP are having to wait 6 and 8 months, respectively, for their NiM modes. So if you think that Bioware has been releasing content at too quick a pace, it seems that Bioware agrees with you.

As for the rest of your post, I certainly agree that shadow/assassin DPS could use some love, particularly in the utility area. Letting the phase walk of a shadow DPS buff damage dealt by 2% for anyone standing inside it would be a nice buff to include with the new expansion and level cap increase.

Lord_Noch
02.11.2014 , 03:45 PM | #324
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
RotHC was released April 9th, 2013.
TfB NiM was released June 12, 2013.
S&V NiM was released July 10, 2013.

So both modes were released within 3 months of Makeb, while DF and DP are having to wait 6 and 8 months, respectively, for their NiM modes.
Within 3 months of Makeb, yes. However, if you count the time S&V was on the public test server, it would be more like 4 or 5 months, and if you count the time HM TFB was a level 50 op, it would be more like 10 or 11 months, until they had to wait until their NiM versions. Also, EC had to wait 7 or 8 months for its NiM version as well. So the wait for the Oricon NiMs is not out of line at all. Especially compared to EC and TFB. In fact, for the release of NiM DP NOT to be too early, compared to the level 50 ops when they were developed, a new expansion with a new planet and level cap to 60 would have to be released in March or April, at the very latest May.

As it stands, I'm predicting the new expansion to be sometime in either very late July, August, September, October, or November. August would make approximately 16 months of the level cap being 55; and the level cap was 50 for 1 year 3 months and 20 days. So, going by that, July 29 would be the date the level cap was 55 as long as it was 50. However, if they wait until November, EA Games and Bioware will have something to offer as their Black Friday big release. Personally though, I'm thinking in the middle of that range. Dragon*Con in Atlanta is the second-largest science fiction convention after only the International Comic Con in San Diego, and it will be held around Labor Day weekend (August 29 - September 1), and that event would be a great time for them to promote the expansion for release in late September or early October.

NoFishing
02.11.2014 , 04:10 PM | #325
Within 3 months of Makeb, yes. However, if you count the time S&V was on the public test server, it would be more like 4 or 5 months, and if you count the time HM TFB was a level 50 op, it would be more like 10 or 11 months, until they had to wait until their NiM versions. Also, EC had to wait 7 or 8 months for its NiM version as well. So the wait for the Oricon NiMs is not out of line at all. Especially compared to EC and TFB.
Both TfB and S&V NiM were also on the PTS for several weeks before their release. They got substantially more difficult when they hit live, but they were there. But let's just focus on when things hit the live servers,ok, since most people don't bother with the PTS.

In both the TfB and EC cases, while there was a long delay before their NiM releases, there were also new ops (and new levels of gear) to do in the meantime. TfB HM came 4 months after the release of EC HM, and EC NiM was out 3 months after that.

Sticking to Bioware's 9-week schedule means there will be game updates in August, October, and December. Since they are already hyping 2.8 as "their biggest update yet", August seems likely to be a minor update. I'm guessing/hoping the expansion will be in October. But that means DF and DP will have been out for one full year. Never before have we had to wait a full year between brand new operations.

Lord_Noch
02.11.2014 , 05:04 PM | #326
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
DF and DP will have been out for one full year. Never before have we had to wait a full year between brand new operations.
True, although other than at the very launch when both EV and KP were introduced (at least I think they were released at the same time), we've never had two operations released at once like we did with DF and DP. Not even with Makeb did we get two new operations unless you count TC which is one boss, no trash (unless you count adds that spawn during the boss fight and the isos that people damage and relocate before fighting the boss), and takes 10 minutes. S&V was the only new operation. TFB was reconfigured from level 50 to level 55, which I don't consider as a new op, just recycling old content and supposedly increasing the difficulty.

Personally, I don't see much difference in difficulty between former 50 SM TFB and 55 SM TFB except for more HP. They certainly don't hit harder, or if they do, it's impossible to tell it in level 55 gear. EC HM is more challenging than TFB SM for people in 72's or higher. And NOT counting the 4 highest-end raids (NiM S&V and TFB, HM DF and DP), I'd say that the most difficult ops fights are (#1) 8 M HM Operator IX from TFB and (#2) 16 M SM Dread Council. I don't know why, but 16 M HM Operator IX is so much easier than 8 M and 8 M SM Dread Council is so much easier than 16 M. I do not know for certain, but I have a theory for this. It is my opinion that 8 M and 16 M Operator IX are the exact same boss fight in every way except that only half as many people can go in for 8 M obviously so each and every player in 8 M essentially has to do the work that 2 people in 16 M would do; and while the difficulty of the bosses themselves is proportional for both the 8 M and 16 M versions of Dread Council, there are just so many mechanics for a SM fight that it is so easy to become confused / distracted with the 8 additional players in 16 M and stray from the correct strategy, whereas in 8 M it is easier to focus on mechanics since there are fewer other players.

NoFishing
02.11.2014 , 05:37 PM | #327
True, although other than at the very launch when both EV and KP were introduced (at least I think they were released at the same time), we've never had two operations released at once like we did with DF and DP.
I believe most raiders would consider DF and DP to be a single operation, split in two phases. Their doors are side-by-side on the planet, and both have to be completed to finish the Oricon story quest.

But I will grant that 10 bosses is a pretty meaty chunk of content, 2 more than S&V + TC. Still one year is a very long time to wait, and gamers are not especially patient folk. :-) Especially for the larger group of raiders that stick to SM and maybe HM, and will never do NiM.

I don't know why, but 16 M HM Operator IX is so much easier than 8 M and 8 M SM Dread Council is so much easier than 16 M.
This is because for 16M OP IX, you only need half the people to know what they are doing in terms of standing in the middle, channeling, and clearing circles in phase 2. And if a DPS or two stand around in the middle hitting adds (or Master Control, always funny to see that!), it doesn't really matter, you can still kill the cores with a few geared DPS on them. In 8-man, every single person needs to get to the middle or channel at the right time. And if a DPS derps and hits things in the middle, you've lost 33% of your DPS potential for that color phase. In 16M, 3 DPS would have to do the same to have the same effect.

In 16M council, the only real problem I've seen is the raid-wide damage at the end that overwhelms the healers. It would go a whole lot better if groups would weaken all of the bosses a bit before pushing to the burn phase, but they don't, so that damage just keeps ramping up and up and up. It is an odd thing that smaller groups are easier to heal, even if the number of non-healers per healer is worse. We've short-manned enough content with a single healer to realize it is frequently easier to heal 5 people with one healer than it is to heal 8 people with 2, on the same fight.

idnewton
02.11.2014 , 06:10 PM | #328
(#1) 8 M HM Operator IX
OP IX was a jerk back in the day.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL +55s: 20
ETERNAL WARRIOR CHEEVO POINTS: +25,000

Ravenschild
02.12.2014 , 06:13 AM | #329
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
Because the real chairs are broken. If you didn't notice, they've been adding chair emotes for a few months now. There you go.
The chairs are a lie,there are only couches! On a serious note though they have how many FP's and Ops? Yet only 6 (including the new huttball map) 8v8 PVP maps and what 4 arenas at this point? Cant PVP get some love here? When the queues were broken about 2 weeks ago Fleet was spammed with people upset about the queues being busted by very large number of people (and lets face it on the weekends only a few of the US servers are listed as heavy and BC is one of them). Most of these people were 55. Seems that at the endgame level wise PVP might have as many people into it as PVE does yet were not getting the same amount of attention. We are starting to feel just a tad neglected ratio wise here.
Never annoy the DM. They have friends in both low and high places.
Ravnn (Sniper) | Culainn (Commando) | Cintas (Mercenary)| Sodomos (Assassin)| No-Name (Gunslinger)| Fios (Sorcerer)| Hemr'roids (Juggernaut)
Begeren Colony

SW-TORtanic
02.12.2014 , 08:49 AM | #330
Going to keep staying unsubbed until more attention is shifted to PvP. And by that I don't mean GSF