Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Concern for the future


CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
02.03.2014 , 03:16 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
Also, nobody reinvented the basic form of a wheel since ancient times...

You see Cat, this argument is really ancient. For example, strategy games brought very little innovation since Dune, and single-players RPG also did not change much since Baldurs Gate.

What BioWare did was introduce to players a movie-like experience where all characters are voiced by some of the most known names in voice acting. that includes every single person you meet and your player character. When they did that with Mass Effect, it was pretty revolutionary, so much that now most people demand it everywhere. Brining the same quality of story to MMORPG was another step (lets face it, story in MMOs was pretty lacking until SWTOR built their campaign on it). And now you see other games attempting to do it as well...
I've never said there's anything bad about the story, cinematics, or voice acting. It's all extremely well done. It is not innovative at all though except maybe in its quantity.

The level of love for it is also highly exaggerated on these forums. In game it is "spacebarred" by the majority of players.

The interactivity is also grossly misrepresented. It is essentially pure fluff that makes minor cosmetic differences to the story, which rather diminishes the whole point of having an interactive story in the first place.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
02.03.2014 , 03:21 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
The interactivity is also grossly misrepresented. It is essentially pure fluff that makes minor cosmetic differences to the story, which rather diminishes the whole point of having an interactive story in the first place.
You can thank the beta tersters for that who cried and cried until BW removed any and all actual consequences from the choices you made in the story arcs.

OddballEasyEight's Avatar


OddballEasyEight
02.03.2014 , 03:27 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
I never said nobody spends $139 per year. I said there's no chance it averages $139/year/player. Big difference. One person spending $1,390 per year would only "cancel" 10 people paying nothing extra.
Yeah, but like I said, it's enough that 89.000 people spend as much as I do.
And since I am in no way unique, it's not that incredulous to think that it's possible.
You said there is no chance it averages 139$ per year per player. Well it does if 89k spends as much as I did.

You are flat out stating that those numbers are made up simply because you do not believe anyone could spend that much money on the game.
But clearly you are wrong. Plenty of people are spending that much money on the game.
Just because you aren't, doesn't mean you can dismiss the figures as some sort of fantasy.
People spend ludicrous amounts of cash on games that they really like.

Take Forza Motorsports for example. It costs what a normal Xbox 360 game cost.
But I know of at least 15 people who not only bought that game, but actually bought 4 copies of the game.
and 4 xbox 360's.
and 4 flat-screen TV's.
And a top of the line racing wheel.
And a top of the line racing-game seat.
And a rumble set.

That's thousands of dollars right there.

Why? Because they liked the game enough to do so.

Does it make sense to spend that much money on a single game?
Well, not really.
But people do spend that much money on games.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

OddballEasyEight's Avatar


OddballEasyEight
02.03.2014 , 03:29 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
I've never said there's anything bad about the story, cinematics, or voice acting. It's all extremely well done. It is not innovative at all though except maybe in its quantity.

The level of love for it is also highly exaggerated on these forums. In game it is "spacebarred" by the majority of players.

The interactivity is also grossly misrepresented. It is essentially pure fluff that makes minor cosmetic differences to the story, which rather diminishes the whole point of having an interactive story in the first place.
Please back up broad statements like that with facts?
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
02.03.2014 , 03:30 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Just because you don't like the numbers doesn't mean you get to ignore them or cast doubt upon them without evidence.

I get that the evidence makes your argument look silly and contrived and biased, but that's no reason to pretend like they're not legitimate numbers.

That's just silly and contrived and biased.
They give no evidence of any sort to back up their claims either, yet you believe them as if their words were magically etched in stone tablets.

You have every right to believe them just as I do to think it's laughably implausible marketing propaganda.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
02.03.2014 , 03:34 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Please back up broad statements like that with facts?
It's my opinion based on my experiences in game. I don't need, nor would it be even possible, to produce any facts to back up that opinion. That's how opinion tends to work.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

OddballEasyEight's Avatar


OddballEasyEight
02.03.2014 , 03:37 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
They give no evidence of any sort to back up their claims either, yet you believe them as if their words were magically etched in stone tablets.

You have every right to believe them just as I do to think it's laughably implausible marketing propaganda.
Well actually they do provide information on how they collect their data.
http://www.superdataresearch.com/services/

Of course, unless you are actually standing there looking at them when they collect their data, you could claim they have no proof.

But then again, if that is how you live your life, you can't trust anyone ever...

I see no reason for superdataresearch to lie in this matter. It's a simple listing of earnings from F2P in F2P/hybrid games with no inceintive to lie about it.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

OddballEasyEight's Avatar


OddballEasyEight
02.03.2014 , 03:37 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
It's my opinion based on my experiences in game. I don't need, nor would it be even possible, to produce any facts to back up that opinion. That's how opinion tends to work.
Then don't present it as fact.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
02.03.2014 , 03:48 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Well actually they do provide information on how they collect their data.
http://www.superdataresearch.com/services/

Of course, unless you are actually standing there looking at them when they collect their data, you could claim they have no proof.

But then again, if that is how you live your life, you can't trust anyone ever...

I see no reason for superdataresearch to lie in this matter. It's a simple listing of earnings from F2P in F2P/hybrid games with no inceintive to lie about it.
Well all I can say is if those numbers are accurate then people like you, who love the game without condition, should be the people most concerned about it because it will mean a much more cash shop centered product in the future.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

OddballEasyEight's Avatar


OddballEasyEight
02.03.2014 , 03:57 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Well all I can say is if those numbers are accurate then people like you, who love the game without condition, should be the people most concerned about it because it will mean a much more cash shop centered product in the future.
I don't love the game without condition.
I have plenty of criticism of the game.
But I tend to temper my criticism with reality.

This game would be dead without the cash shop.
And EA knows that without new actual content, the game will be dead anyway.
So they will use the proceeds from the cash shop to add content.

Just like all other F2P/Hybrid games out there. Look at World of Tanks for example.
Completely driven by cash shop content.
Does this mean they only add cash shop content?
No.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.