Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What's the best composition for flashpoints right now?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
What's the best composition for flashpoints right now?

Lienwyn's Avatar


Lienwyn
12.24.2011 , 11:40 AM | #1
Don't post if you don't group.
Don't post if you're gonna flame.

Due to how every mob is ranged and some bosses have 3 elite adds or something. Has anyone found that the following works?

1 MT
1 OT (tank class specced into dmg)
1 DD
1 Healer

Seems very odd, because the composition is effective but pug tanking is usually horrid.

Anyone try something different for all flashpoints?

Ricktur's Avatar


Ricktur
12.24.2011 , 11:42 AM | #2
i usually do MT DD DD H i will admit though being the MT it is very stressful trying to grab all the mobs/adds. OT usually is very helpful but some bosses need to be burned down quickly and mad dps is appreciated.

so its up in the air i guess, for now, i guess MTs have to suffer
Sgt. Boos Macarrage - Republic Trooper/Vanguard - PVE Tank Spec
Prophecy of the Five - US East PVP
Republic Commandos: First Ones In, Last Ones Out. Never Quit. Never Fail.

StealthStalker's Avatar


StealthStalker
12.24.2011 , 11:42 AM | #3
One tank, 2 DPS of any variety, one healer.

The tank's job is to hold the strongest mob around, and anything else he can if possible.

The DPS should be killing the weakest thing free leading up to the one being tanked by the mob. DPS can easily offtank, regardless of their class, while they burn down the weaker mobs.

As a tank, it just isn't feasible to hold aggro on everything here. Just think about it. When you're soloing you sometimes fight groups of 3-5 mobs. Same principle here.

It's okay for some things to be free, just so long as the strongest thing around is being tanked. Kill those weaker/free things, and just make sure they're not on the healer very long.
Dual Targeting, any AAA MMO released today should have this included. Don't let your next one release without it.
Quote:
So what exactly is Dual Targeting? You have 2 targets available at all times, one offensive and one defensive. That's it, it's that simple.

Lienwyn's Avatar


Lienwyn
12.24.2011 , 11:45 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by StealthStalker View Post
One tank, 2 DPS of any variety, one healer.

The tank's job is to hold the strongest mob around, and anything else he can if possible.

The DPS should be killing the weakest thing free leading up to the one being tanked by the mob. DPS can easily offtank, regardless of their class, while they burn down the weaker mobs.

As a tank, it just isn't feasible to hold aggro on everything here. Just think about it. When you're soloing you sometimes fight groups of 3-5 mobs. Same principle here.

It's okay for some things to be free, just so long as the strongest thing around is being tanked. Kill those weaker/free things, and just make sure they're not on the healer very long.
That's what was bothering me and why we decided to try OT in the mix specced with lots of damage.

The way Bioware designed this game makes it a complete pain in the *** for healers and tanks =/

Gorgewall's Avatar


Gorgewall
12.24.2011 , 11:47 AM | #5
Are you using CC? Unless you're running Guardian/Shadow/Vanguard/NotASmuggler or the Empire equivalents, your group should have at least one method of keeping an enemy out of a fight for a minute at a time.

Commandos can Concussive Round anything.
Sages can Force Lift anything.
Sentinels can Disable Droids.
Smugglers can Slice Droids.
Scoundrels can Tranquilize non-Droids.

crazysam's Avatar


crazysam
12.24.2011 , 11:49 AM | #6
Very hard to hold aggro of 5 mobs shooting from afar. No tank can seriously be at 5 places at the same time!

but like someone said above, you just need to hold aggro of the strongest one.

A good healer will easily heal up everyone at the same time if everyone else are doing their job right and the tank will be ok.

Lienwyn's Avatar


Lienwyn
12.24.2011 , 11:49 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Gorgewall View Post
Are you using CC? Unless you're running Guardian/Shadow/Vanguard/NotASmuggler or the Empire equivalents, your group should have at least one method of keeping an enemy out of a fight for a minute at a time.

Commandos can Concussive Round anything.
Sages can Force Lift anything.
Sentinels can Disable Droids.
Smugglers can Slice Droids.
Scoundrels can Tranquilize non-Droids.
You can't CC most elite mobs, some bosses are even immune to taunt.

Zerixkun's Avatar


Zerixkun
12.24.2011 , 11:50 AM | #8
It usually ends up as most people are saying one main tank, two dps, and a healer. Sometimes we get a DPS who can do off-heals which is actually very nice and can work incredibly well in many situations. I have only had an off-tank/dps in a pug once or twice and I didn't see much difference in benefit. I think perhaps some bosses would be easier with an off-tank for the adds, but otherwise I find them unneeded. I prefer off-heals.

tehjosh's Avatar


tehjosh
12.24.2011 , 11:50 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lienwyn View Post
You can't CC most elite mobs, some bosses are even immune to taunt.
you can CC almost all of them except for bosses. No idea what flashpoints you're getting this "information" from. The only people immune to CC are strong elites and bosses/world bosses.
Live the Dream

Bionixx's Avatar


Bionixx
12.24.2011 , 11:52 AM | #10
But I digress, you want 1 tank, 2 DPS, 1 healer. As long as people know what they are doing, the actual classes don't matter but if you want to maximize buffs as well as have no competition for items and no items go to waste you should try to get 1 of each classes.

Also to add to the list of CCs, shadows/assassins can mind maze/trap (WoW equivalent = Sap) any non droid target.
Something, something, something, dark side.
Something, something, something, complete.