Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Very glad I don't play Eve Online right now

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Very glad I don't play Eve Online right now

Tweaked
01.31.2014 , 06:05 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
It's definitely impressive, but also a good example as to why EVE will never be a game for me.
The thought of playing for months on end only to lose it all at some point and start from scratch is enough to make me say no thanks. (And I've heard plenty of agonized cries from guildies over the years when they lost their ship on that game)
Everyone there chose to be there.

they knew the risks.

Etheric
01.31.2014 , 06:12 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
By buying one? You buy a clone and it makes a copy of your current character and stores it in a vat on a space station of your choosing. So, if you know you're going into a battle where death is more likely than not, simply get a clone ready and you lose nothing.

There is also insurance, so you can get an insurance on your ship to coup some of the losses back. At least I seem to recall there being one, it's been awhile.

Oh and one more thing, losing your ship doesn't mean you automatically die. You leave in an escape pod and in large battles, going after an escape pod isn't something that's really done unless the enemy wants to grief you. If you're just out doing missions for money, I don't think NPC enemies kill pods.

There is also different security levels in sectors. You can get your feet wet in high sec systems and just run missions against NPCs if you want to. You don't *have* to start the game and fly into the wild west from the get go. In high sec you are relatively safe as most people can't be arsed killing newbies there because the po-po will kill them if they do and your ship isn't worth the trouble.
Your thought is correct NPC's don't PK

Callaron
01.31.2014 , 06:18 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Tweaked View Post
Everyone there chose to be there.

they knew the risks.
Oh, I'm aware of that - and I even see where the appeal is for some (real stakes and all).
I was just saying it's not for me. (hence me being here and not over there)
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Thylbanus
02.22.2014 , 09:53 PM | #24
You should be crying that you WEREN'T there! It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. 21 hours of a dust-up because someone forgot to pay their sovereignty bill (or didn't have enough money in their auto-pay guild account).
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Like you and Callaron, I don't think this is the game for me either. I don't mind investing some money in a game I enjoy, but not to the tune of thousands upon thousands, and especially like you say, to lose it in a matter of seconds.

The heartbreak would be enough to make me stop. It would be too painful. I get attached to my little avatars and belongings and losing them in a snap of the fingers...holds no appeal for me.
Quote: Originally Posted by orangefishboy View Post
I think they didn't report how much people can make because it's not really related. Anyway, my point was that I'm not into losing $5000 in one battle
Almost none of those people lost any REAL-WORLD money. Someone may have short cut something here or there and bought PLEX and sold it in-game for quick isk, but 99.99% didn't lose anything more than a few hours of their life in a fight that they will remember for the rest of it. PvP at it's best.

Remember when everyone started crying about the cost of repairing gear? It's the same thing here, except you replace as well as repair. You can't die in the game. You just lose things. It's just sometimes the thing you lose is your body. Worry not, you've got at least one other in a cryo-tube somewhere ready to wake when the current one gets lost.

HERE is the info on the whole thing right from CCP.

I'll take out the best parts
Quote:
7,548 total combatants from both coalitions.
Counting all combatants in the main dust up, plus the support skirmishes and gate camps to ambush reinforcements. 2000+ players in a single battle makes 24 man Ops look like child's play.
Quote:
This wasn’t the largest single battle in terms of numbers of participants in system at once. That record still belongs to the battle for 6VDT-H, which reached 4,070 pilots in system.
Quote:
Totals destroyed:

• Titans – 75 (74 in system, one on its way to the fight) N3/PL lost 59 titans and CFC/DTF lost 16 titans
• Titan losses by type: Gallente Erebus – 37, Amarr Avatar – 25, Minmatar Ragnarok – 13, Caldari Leviathan - 0
• Supercarriers – 13 (12 in system, one as it tried to escape the system)
• Dreadnaughts – 370 (356 in system, 14 in connected skirmishes as both sides attempted to stop the other from bringing reinforcements)
• Carriers – 123 (109 in system, 14 in connected skirmishes as both sides attempted to stop the other from bringing reinforcements)
• And lots more smaller ships and probably a bajilion drones and fighters
Google some vids on this. Watching is a struggle as it is slowed due to an enforced lag to basically prevent server lag. This way everyone experiences the same time dilation and the fight remains fair. Look at it as EVE bullet time. Think of how much you can do when the time dilation is 10:1 (every ten minutes of real-time is 1 minute of game-time). I'm surprised that I could not find a converted vid showing the fight in what would be real-time. Someone did one, but got the time conversion incorrect. They went to 100:1 rather than the 10:1 ratio.

Frame of reference for the uninitiated.
Quote:
In comparison, the previous record for largest single battle Titan losses was a tie between battles in “O2O” and “Uemon”, with 12 total Titans destroyed in each.

Approximately 775 doomsdays were fired, which is about 24% of all the doomsdays fired in the last two years inclusive. The Battle for HED-GP, which preceded this one in the Halloween War, had about 200 doomsdays.

The Economic Impact
11 TRILLION ISK.
According to some PLEX conversions that could equate to approximately $300,000-$330,000 USD.
In the end, CCP is putting a permanent in-game monument to the battle at that site called "Titanomachy". Anyone know if EA put any in-game monuments to any one action or event held by players? Hell, my character, along with @ a half-million others will be permanently etched into stone in a real world monument in Reykjavik, Iceland.

So do you still wish you weren't playing EVE online?
If anyone wants to get a 21 day pass to EVE, send me an email.

Fly safe! o7
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

AshlaBoga
02.25.2014 , 12:58 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post

In the end, CCP is putting a permanent in-game monument to the battle at that site called "Titanomachy". Anyone know if EA put any in-game monuments to any one action or event held by players? Hell, my character, along with @ a half-million others will be permanently etched into stone in a real world monument in Reykjavik, Iceland.

So do you still wish you weren't playing EVE online?
If anyone wants to get a 21 day pass to EVE, send me an email.

Fly safe! o7
Meh, they put "Remember Fray" on Ilum, but it was game wide and didn't really make sense for my server since we had a decent Pub-Imp balance.

Regarding this recent EvE thing, it looks like the total damages are actually $400,000 not $330,000 thousand. So that's one AMAZING battle.

And the monument reminds me of Asheron's Call "Harry."

Oh, God. I wish I had been there for that.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

thermium
02.25.2014 , 08:24 AM | #26
I've never tried EVE because if it has a very steep learning curve I'm never going to learn, it was easy to jump into SWTOR and didn't need a manual to do it Star Wars trumps anything on any day and we have cake.

Thylbanus
02.27.2014 , 12:46 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
Meh, they put "Remember Fray" on Ilum, but it was game wide and didn't really make sense for my server since we had a decent Pub-Imp balance.

Regarding this recent EvE thing, it looks like the total damages are actually $400,000 not $330,000 thousand. So that's one AMAZING battle.

And the monument reminds me of Asheron's Call "Harry."

Oh, God. I wish I had been there for that.
It was quite the mash up. Wish you could have been there, too. As for the totals, I'm going with what the Devs posted of $300,000 to $330,000, as they have a better idea what PLEX was going for. My estimate was @ $350,000 to $400,000 just from watching what was going on. In any event, it was truly EPIC.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Machshoot
02.27.2014 , 08:35 AM | #28
Eve will never be a game for me, in my eyes it's ridiculous. I have a full time career, I do not want to come home and slave away at a game which is basically just as if not more complicated and time consuming than my actual career.

Nefastuss
02.28.2014 , 10:12 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by dazednconfuzed View Post
The headline isn't exactly accurate.

In short, someone forgot to pay the rent on their space station. This led to people being able to invade them, or something like that. I don't play EvE, so I don't know exactly how this works.

Anyways, a couple of alliances teamed up and attacked. The owner of the space station pulled their own fleet in to defend, and it turned into a battle that involved over 4000 players, and saw enough ships destroyed that the total cost of the war was around $200,000.

The biggest previous large scale encounter wrecked a total of 12 Titan class ships. This one destroyed 75, plus hundreds of smaller craft. One Titan alone was worth $5,500.

The costs are based on the exchange rate between $ and PLEX, which is the EvE in game currency and can also be used to pay for a monthly subscription (which is why we can work out an exchange rate).
Wow, this makes me willing to test out EvE. Sounds amazing.

Nefastuss
02.28.2014 , 10:33 AM | #30
Does anyone have videos to share? I would like to watch.