Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Star Wars MMO?

CosmicKat
01.28.2014 , 03:03 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
Hopefully very far from certain. If I wanted to play sandbox, I'd play sandbox. This game does not need to be wasting development effort geared towards something TOR is not.
Why not? Why would it be "wasting development effort" to increase content of any sort?
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

Callaron
01.28.2014 , 03:07 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Interesting comments. Sadly, it's SOE...and that means Smed. Won't be a SW IP, so I expect it to be something like Planet Side 3.
I never played SWG myself... but calling Planet Side 3 something dedicated to SWG fans sounds like a shameless lie to me.
SWG = sandbox style MMO like UO.
Planet Side = MMO shooter.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

TUXs
01.28.2014 , 03:08 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
I never played SWG myself... but calling Planet Side 3 something dedicated to SWG fans sounds like a shameless lie to me.
Combine the 2 - a sci-fi sandbox that SOE controls.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Andryah
01.28.2014 , 03:11 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
Clearly what Smedley was referring to will not be a star wars property. It will likely be a new unique IP. So, I assume he is alluding to the style of design and content will be equivalent, but wrapped in a different lore. I'm not at all sure by the way that this approach will please the 25K or so players that were still playing SWG when it shuttered, nor that it will appeal to all the people that feel SoE (under Smedley's command) slaughtered an MMO they are on record as loving. It could however attract a new audience of sandbox lovers.

I'm not sure I would try a brand new sandbox MMO. But, have to wait to see what SoE actually does before deciding.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Callaron
01.28.2014 , 03:11 PM | #65
Combine the 2 - a sci-fi sandbox that SOE controls.
That could work if it's set in the past/future - it would seem a bit weird to run it alongside it and not have events in one affect the other.
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)

Glorthox
01.28.2014 , 03:13 PM | #66
Why come out with another star wars mmo when they cannot even try to bring this one back to its former glory?

Technohic
01.29.2014 , 09:30 AM | #67
Interesting comments. Sadly, it's SOE...and that means Smed. Won't be a SW IP, so I expect it to be something like Planet Side 3.
Yeah, I was irritated at Smedley's name even when it was something that I liked to hear. That said; a Planetside that was done to be a true MMORPG rather than a MMOFPS could be a decent way to have a "non-Star Wars" clone of SWG. The problem would be how they do it. If they try to go FPS twitch controls to hold true to the Planetside part and much like what they were trying to do when the NGE first launched, I think that would be repeating the mistake that pissed SWG fans off in the first place. They go MMO controls, either with set ups like pre-CU, CU, or late NGE; then they would probably just piss off Planetside fans.
Technohic - Sniper | Techno-Hic - Gunslinger | Cihonhcet - Scoundrel
Karnrage - Assassin | Egarnrak - Sage
Techen - Merc | Nehcet - Vanguard | Carnrage - Marauder | Egarnrac - Guardian
POT5

Zorvan
01.29.2014 , 09:29 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Yeah, I was irritated at Smedley's name even when it was something that I liked to hear. That said; a Planetside that was done to be a true MMORPG rather than a MMOFPS could be a decent way to have a "non-Star Wars" clone of SWG. The problem would be how they do it. If they try to go FPS twitch controls to hold true to the Planetside part and much like what they were trying to do when the NGE first launched, I think that would be repeating the mistake that pissed SWG fans off in the first place. They go MMO controls, either with set ups like pre-CU, CU, or late NGE; then they would probably just piss off Planetside fans.
I don't know if you're familiar, but SOE has had some past IPs that they "shelved" that might be reworked into some awesome sandbox goodness.

Like this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msUYEa6LoF4
Thinking of returning to SWToR as a subscriber, or want to subscribe for the first time?
Please use my referral so we both get cool stuff. Thanks.
http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn

Callaron
01.30.2014 , 04:54 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
I don't know if you're familiar, but SOE has had some past IPs that they "shelved" that might be reworked into some awesome sandbox goodness.

Like this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msUYEa6LoF4
Ah... the Agency... how I waited for that game...
It'd be cool, but I'm not getting my hopes up.