Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Very glad I don't play Eve Online right now

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Very glad I don't play Eve Online right now

dazednconfuzed's Avatar


dazednconfuzed
01.29.2014 , 10:34 AM | #2
The headline isn't exactly accurate.

In short, someone forgot to pay the rent on their space station. This led to people being able to invade them, or something like that. I don't play EvE, so I don't know exactly how this works.

Anyways, a couple of alliances teamed up and attacked. The owner of the space station pulled their own fleet in to defend, and it turned into a battle that involved over 4000 players, and saw enough ships destroyed that the total cost of the war was around $200,000.

The biggest previous large scale encounter wrecked a total of 12 Titan class ships. This one destroyed 75, plus hundreds of smaller craft. One Titan alone was worth $5,500.

The costs are based on the exchange rate between $ and PLEX, which is the EvE in game currency and can also be used to pay for a monthly subscription (which is why we can work out an exchange rate).
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

JPryde's Avatar


JPryde
01.29.2014 , 10:43 AM | #3
Why be glad to not play EVE right now? I am thinking of activating my account cause of this message... Mineral prices are going to skyrocket for a few months and a professional miner can make a small fortune in its wake
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Technohic's Avatar


Technohic
01.29.2014 , 10:50 AM | #4
It's really kind of amazing on how the game is living and breathing to where a single battle becomes huge and truly will affect the online world (or galaxy? whatever.)
Technohic - Sniper | Techno-Hic - Gunslinger | Cihonhcet - Scoundrel
Karnrage - Assassin | Egarnrak - Sage
Techen - Merc | Nehcet - Vanguard | Carnrage - Marauder | Egarnrac - Guardian
POT5

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
01.29.2014 , 11:09 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
It's really kind of amazing on how the game is living and breathing to where a single battle becomes huge and truly will affect the online world (or galaxy? whatever.)
It's definitely impressive, but also a good example as to why EVE will never be a game for me.
The thought of playing for months on end only to lose it all at some point and start from scratch is enough to make me say no thanks. (And I've heard plenty of agonized cries from guildies over the years when they lost their ship on that game)
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

ihatetwileks's Avatar


ihatetwileks
01.29.2014 , 01:37 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
It's definitely impressive, but also a good example as to why EVE will never be a game for me.
The thought of playing for months on end only to lose it all at some point and start from scratch is enough to make me say no thanks. (And I've heard plenty of agonized cries from guildies over the years when they lost their ship on that game)
I couldn't agree more. I used to play EVE and I had spent months collecting enough cash to purchase the skills and equipment necessary for a battleship. I thought hey I'm pretty BA now let me ask the corp(guild) if I can run some pvp with them. They said sure! Well to my suprise i was not even close to being a bad ***. My Battleship was destroyed by a small cruiser within seconds- SECONDS! 6 months worth of work permenantly GONE in SECONDS! I immediately activated my clone (There are no respawns if you don't have a clone that has a higher skill point threshold than the current amount of skill points you have you lose some of your hard earned skill points) and jumped into my battle cruiser. Once again I got popped with in mere seconds. At that point the keys Alt and F4 were the last two key strokes that game saw from me.

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
01.29.2014 , 02:00 PM | #7
While it might sound like the losses are huge, and they are, there is an old saying in EVE. "Never fly anything you can't afford to lose". All those Titans? They flew them into battle knowing they would not come back. The players live for this stuff and while you can certainly exchange PLEX into gametime, hence sort of money, it's a rather poor reporting to not explain just how much PLEX these huge alliances generate in-game from mining and manufacturing.

For those who don't know, CCP allows players to openly sell gametime cards in-game for in-game currency or whatever else one might want in exhange. So you can't REALLY turn mountains of in-game money into rael money instantly.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

orangefishboy's Avatar


orangefishboy
01.29.2014 , 02:04 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
While it might sound like the losses are huge, and they are, there is an old saying in EVE. "Never fly anything you can't afford to lose". All those Titans? They flew them into battle knowing they would not come back. The players live for this stuff and while you can certainly exchange PLEX into gametime, hence sort of money, it's a rather poor reporting to not explain just how much PLEX these huge alliances generate in-game from mining and manufacturing.
I think they didn't report how much people can make because it's not really related. Anyway, my point was that I'm not into losing $5000 in one battle

Euphrosyne's Avatar


Euphrosyne
01.29.2014 , 07:38 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by orangefishboy View Post
I think they didn't report how much people can make because it's not really related.
It is related. All wealth is relative. If you lose $500,000 on a wager with a $40,000 annual salary and not a lot of assets, you're screwed. If you lose $500,000 on a wager and you have a multi-billion-dollar fortune, it's a drop in (from?) the bucket and, while annoying, won't be all that painful.

So yeah, just throwing out the USD-equivalent in PLEX of the ships destroyed in a given EvE engagement is useless, partially because PLEX and USD don't convert to each other that easily (and isk is involved anyway) and partially because big corps can absorb a loss of assets on the scales being reported reasonably easily.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
01.29.2014 , 07:55 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
Why be glad to not play EVE right now? I am thinking of activating my account cause of this message... Mineral prices are going to skyrocket for a few months and a professional miner can make a small fortune in its wake
LOL.. I was just thinking the same thing.

Big arse conflicts are always good for the resource market in EVE. Keeps things fresh and moving in the economy.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.