Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Citizens - post here!

archifikoss
01.22.2014 , 04:46 PM | #1
I'm sure I'm not the only one here massively excited about Chris Roberts' new baby I have only pledged 36 Euros so far (Aurora LN package) but I'm really longing for the game... I am also looking forward to Elite: Dangerous, but I think SC is more my style of game.

fdbgjfdhjgkjdhsg
01.26.2014 , 01:32 PM | #2
Can't say I look forward to it being that I don't know who that person is or care about them.
Speak softly, and carry a big blaster.

archifikoss
01.26.2014 , 03:48 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by fdbgjfdhjgkjdhsg View Post
Can't say I look forward to it being that I don't know who that person is or care about them.
Chris Roberts made the Wing Commander/Privateer games back in the 90s, as well as Starlancer and Freelancer. Quite a few people grew up with his games, myself included, and hence are extremely excited about his new project

Hambunctious
01.26.2014 , 11:18 PM | #4
Well, I bought a Origin 325A fighter.

I probably wouldn't have had EA put in something a little more fulfilling than what they did, and spent my money here.

It's a risk though.

Prototypemind
01.27.2014 , 03:24 AM | #5
Can't ever see myself getting into something that focuses only on space combat and exploration, but the graphics look pretty amazing, I'll give it that. Not sure how much of a toll the level of intricacy they're putting into the game is going to have on longevity though. It will take a very dedicated and sizable team to regularly put out new content that's up to snuff.

Jandi
01.27.2014 , 05:40 AM | #6
Post here if you are duped by vapourware like the OP.

I'll care about it when it's more than hot air.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

Pingonaut
01.27.2014 , 06:18 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post

It's not like the creator isn't reputable. He made a very successful game and this one has very good concepts and somewhat decent progress.

Machshoot
01.27.2014 , 06:22 AM | #8
Can you still pledge to the kickstarter or is that all over? I only found out about this game recently, but I'd love to get in on some of that action.

archifikoss
01.27.2014 , 04:00 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post

Where to begin.

- Chris Roberts is a well respected figure in the gaming industry. His games made quite an impact back in the day. He has made a lot of successful games, all (well, the ones I played because I did miss some of them) of which I grew up with and enjoyed. So he is definitely not a random nobody, and his games were the reason I took a leap of faith and pledged money for the first time in my life.

- We already have a working hangar module. It's not much - merely a hangar containing all the ships people have pledged for, which you can enter and interact with, and some fluff like a shooting range for some of the weapons. Pre-pre alpha stuff really. Funnily enough there is also a hidden level some crafty people discovered that actually allowed them to fly some of the ships when we're not supposed to And there is a dogfighting module to be ready in spring (they are releasing the alpha in modules)

- Do you think it did not cross my mind that this could be a scam? I didn't pledge for over a year because it all seemed too perfect, too good to be true. I was waiting until we had something more tangible in our hands. Players got the hangar module, I took the leap of faith.

- 36 Euros is a small amount of disposable income I'd probably have blown on coffee and beer anyway. So worst case scenario, I lose 36 Euros, big deal (some people have literally pledged THOUSANDS ). Best case scenario, I get two games in one (Squadron 42 and Star Citizen), access to alpha and beta, and the satisfaction of having contributed even just a little bit to the development of a game I've been waiting for for more than a decade.

- I'd rather wager a small amount on a dream game by a man whose games I still love than give money every year for garbage like Call of Duty, Battlefield, FIFA, Madden and all that other generic crap publishers shove down our throats. No thanks - I'll pass.

So no, I have not been duped. I know full well why I pledged money and was aware of the risk when I did so. You could be right, this could turn out to be the biggest vaporware scam we've ever seen. I always have that thought in the back of my head. But if it is not (which I believe at this point), I will remember you, and will invite you to enjoy the 'verse with me when the game is ready

Jandi
01.27.2014 , 05:29 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by archifikoss View Post
Where to begin.

- Chris Roberts is a well respected figure in the gaming industry. His games made quite an impact back in the day. He has made a lot of successful games, all (well, the ones I played because I did miss some of them) of which I grew up with and enjoyed. So he is definitely not a random nobody, and his games were the reason I took a leap of faith and pledged money for the first time in my life.

- We already have a working hangar module. It's not much - merely a hangar containing all the ships people have pledged for, which you can enter and interact with, and some fluff like a shooting range for some of the weapons. Pre-pre alpha stuff really. Funnily enough there is also a hidden level some crafty people discovered that actually allowed them to fly some of the ships when we're not supposed to And there is a dogfighting module to be ready in spring (they are releasing the alpha in modules)

- Do you think it did not cross my mind that this could be a scam? I didn't pledge for over a year because it all seemed too perfect, too good to be true. I was waiting until we had something more tangible in our hands. Players got the hangar module, I took the leap of faith.

- 36 Euros is a small amount of disposable income I'd probably have blown on coffee and beer anyway. So worst case scenario, I lose 36 Euros, big deal (some people have literally pledged THOUSANDS ). Best case scenario, I get two games in one (Squadron 42 and Star Citizen), access to alpha and beta, and the satisfaction of having contributed even just a little bit to the development of a game I've been waiting for for more than a decade.

- I'd rather wager a small amount on a dream game by a man whose games I still love than give money every year for garbage like Call of Duty, Battlefield, FIFA, Madden and all that other generic crap publishers shove down our throats. No thanks - I'll pass.

So no, I have not been duped. I know full well why I pledged money and was aware of the risk when I did so. You could be right, this could turn out to be the biggest vaporware scam we've ever seen. I always have that thought in the back of my head. But if it is not (which I believe at this point), I will remember you, and will invite you to enjoy the 'verse with me when the game is ready
Oh dear, some's a tad touchy. That sinking feeling sinking in?

To this day, Privateer 1 and 2 are, in my opinion, the best space sim games I've ever played. They have just the right mix of sim and arcade when it comes to flying mechanics. Freelacer was ok, but it was too linear in terms of progression. X series just makes me fall asleep.

As I already said, get excited when there is something to get excited about. A glorified model viewer isn't it.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.