Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Star Wars MMO?

CosmicKat
01.25.2014 , 03:30 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Heh....

If it is dedicated in classic Smedley style... you best hope there is a least some kisses and hugs before the "dedication" is applied.

SWG fans and alumni.... you are not seriously going to allow yourself to get /Smedleyed again are you?

And I see they are going to euthanize Vanguard later this year too. Smedley, IMO, is the grim reaper of the MMO game space.
Did Smed ever launch a game that lost 80% of its customers in 3 months? Didn't think so.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

WSRB
01.25.2014 , 03:51 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Did Smed ever launch a game that lost 80% of its customers in 3 months? Didn't think so.
Yeah, I think Smedley tends to get smacked around by armchair quarterbacks because the series of errors called SWG. Take that out of the equation and the only thing he's really done is run SOE through the same ups and downs that it would have experienced regardless of who was sitting in his chair. In my opinion, he's not guilty of anything more egregious than what a dozen other executives at a dozen companies in the MMO sphere have done in the last ten years: primarily ending innovation in favor of emulating the leader in the market; which lead to creating a bunch of hand-holdy, cookie-cutter games that over promised, under delivered and thus under performed.

Zorvan
01.25.2014 , 04:38 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
It won't be a Star Wars MMO, EA has the license for the coming decade.

False. EA has the singleplayer license for the coming decade. Disney can license to whomever they want for online games. Case in point: http://www.starwarsattacksquadrons.com/

Most likely it'll be a sci-fi sandbox game, in the spirit of SWG (minus all the mistakes) and he's counting on the SWG fans to support it.

True. smed even says its's a new IP, meaning not Star Wars.
There ya go.
Thinking of returning to SWToR as a subscriber, or want to subscribe for the first time?
Please use my referral so we both get cool stuff. Thanks.
http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn

Merwanor
01.25.2014 , 04:39 PM | #14
I would love an MMO like SWG again, especially one where there are classes that not only focuses on combat, this game is all about combat, which is what most MMOs are about. In SWG you could just be a crafter or even an entertainer. I really miss those type of classes, it made the game have more variety.
The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.

Nemmar
01.25.2014 , 04:44 PM | #15
Thank god! Maybe now we can get rid of the impossible to please SWG fans.

Zorvan
01.25.2014 , 04:48 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Merwanor View Post
I would love an MMO like SWG again, especially one where there are classes that not only focuses on combat, this game is all about combat, which is what most MMOs are about. In SWG you could just be a crafter or even an entertainer. I really miss those type of classes, it made the game have more variety.
I think Smed and SOE can make a hit out of the ballpark with a game just like SWG but without having to be constricted to the lore of the IP or having to worry about Nancy McEntire -level morons deciding "We've decided everyone wants to be Luke or Han, noone wants to play Uncle Owen." thus bringing in the NGE.
Thinking of returning to SWToR as a subscriber, or want to subscribe for the first time?
Please use my referral so we both get cool stuff. Thanks.
http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn

Andryah
01.25.2014 , 05:04 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
No, Smedley has simply and persistently destroyed most every MMO property he ever got his hands on. He uses the slow strangle and alientate methodology. That way, players are fooled into coming back for another, and another mishandling.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Vinak
01.25.2014 , 05:07 PM | #18
I am somewhat interested.

Classic SWG was a great game. I've had some of my fondest mmo experiences during that time. But I've boycotted SOE since the CU and I still don't really trust SOE to develop a good game and not **** it up some time down the road.
>████TootsieRoll®████<
MXX ______.________CCCLXVII

Andryah
01.25.2014 , 05:09 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by WSRB View Post
Yeah, I think Smedley tends to get smacked around by armchair quarterbacks because the series of errors called SWG.
It's more substantial then that. Personally, I have no emotional investment in SWG, nor SoE for that matter, simply pointing out that Smedley is persistent in what he does.. and yet.. there he is.. getting ready to in all likelihood do it again.

To pretend that they (SoE) are thoughtful and successful stewards of their MMO properties is kind of misguided IMO. And Smedley is at the helm.. so it's on his watch.

As for Smedley.. it's not the mishandling of any single MMO property, but rather the persistent mishandling of so many over such a long period of time. It's amazing that he has not gone the way of other executives that have been visible and public through the rise and fall of MMO properties ------> retirement.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Kane_Ren
01.25.2014 , 05:15 PM | #20
Forgive me if I'm wrong, I've not read every post since beta. Didn't every single player smack the hate on SWG in every discussion when this game was first released? Maybe I need to buy a pair of those rose tinted spectacles.
55 Scoundrel DPS - 55 Commando DPS - 55 Sentinel DPS - 55 Shadow Tank
55 Sniper DPS - 55 Operative - 55 Assassin -55 Inquisitor (no AC) - 55 Sorcerer
55 Juggernaut Tank - 55 Powertech Tank - 55 Sage Healer - 55 Guardian Tank -
55 Vanguard Tank - 55 Marauder - 55 Gunslinger DPS - 55 Merc DPS