Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Star Wars MMO?

ajmeyer
01.25.2014 , 11:46 AM | #1
Anyone have any info on what the new MMO from SOE is? John Smedley posted that there new game coming out will make players of Star Wars Galaxies very happy. Link to article below....

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01...o-swg-players/

Callaron
01.25.2014 , 11:49 AM | #2
It won't be a Star Wars MMO, EA has the license for the coming decade.
Most likely it'll be a sci-fi sandbox game, in the spirit of SWG (minus all the mistakes) and he's counting on the SWG fans to support it.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Rankyn
01.25.2014 , 12:18 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
Most likely it'll be a sci-fi sandbox game, in the spirit of SWG (minus all the mistakes) and he's counting on the SWG fans to support it.
This, pretty much.
Though I knew the "Bring Back SWG" crowd would immediately jump to the conclusion that SWG was coming back.

SWG is gone and isn't (legitimately) coming back.
Ever.

SOE is just hoping that the game they're working on will appeal to people who liked the best parts of SWG's gameplay.

theonetruebleed
01.25.2014 , 12:24 PM | #4
SWG emulator servers are legitimate... Sort of... After a fashion...

Laurreth
01.25.2014 , 12:39 PM | #5
Maybe they're taking what they "learned" from Vanguard and transport it to something Wildstar-like?
Rüstige Rentner auf Jar'Kai Sword — schau einfach mal rein ☺
“I like how the whining about "censored" butts started instantly but it took 2 days for someone to notice the legs are also ****ed up” — rantboi

DarthDymond
01.25.2014 , 12:41 PM | #6
^This
At most it will be a Spiritual Successor in terms of gameplay, but it won't be a "New Star Wars MMO". The new SOE MMO will be "dedicated to [SWG fans]" the same way Star Citizen is dedicated to Wing Commander/Freelancer fans. Same "feel", but set in a different universe.

This is still good news for SWG fans who've been looking for something to scratch their sandbox gameplay itch though. (And heck, it's not impossible that it'll "inspire" EA/BW to add a few more sandbox elements to mitigate the risk of losing players to it - although that is far from certain.)
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

Pscyon
01.25.2014 , 01:01 PM | #7
in the spirit of SWG (minus all the mistakes) and he's counting on the SWG fans to support it.
If Smedley's involved there will be no shortage of mistakes. And if he's involved SWG fans won't be flocking to it.
Sith Sorcerer

Andryah
01.25.2014 , 01:09 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ajmeyer View Post
Anyone have any info on what the new MMO from SOE is? John Smedley posted that there new game coming out will make players of Star Wars Galaxies very happy. Link to article below....

Heh....
Quote:
"SWG players, our next game (not announced yet) is dedicated to you," Smedley wrote. "Once we launch it... you can come home now."
If it is dedicated in classic Smedley style... you best hope there is a least some kisses and hugs before the "dedication" is applied.

SWG fans and alumni.... you are not seriously going to allow yourself to get /Smedleyed again are you?

And I see they are going to euthanize Vanguard later this year too. Smedley, IMO, is the grim reaper of the MMO game space.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

WSRB
01.25.2014 , 01:57 PM | #9
I'm not sure the game is entirely unannounced. At SOE Live in late 2012 Smedley discussed an Asian influenced fantasy game they were developing that was going to have open world housing and a few other features similar to SWG. I can't remember the name of it (nor do I care enough to Google it), but I think that might be what he's talking about because I don't think there's been much discussion of that game since then as they've been trying to keep the spotlight on EQN.

Knockerz
01.25.2014 , 02:14 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ajmeyer View Post

It probably be some thing similar to swg, but it won't be starwars related. Perhaps some space mmorpg, but I highly doubt it. It's probably another lame fantasy mmorpg.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Less armour = moves faster = more dodging = less getting hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Oh.. there is plenty of complaining in this thread. As well as demands, expressions of entitlement, and wild dreams.
Lovely Andryah the Forum Princess