Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Favorite dog breed

Lunafox
01.23.2014 , 02:44 PM | #21
Well, let's see. I have an Australian Shepherd right now, so she's my favorite sort, but I also really love these...

Doberman
Rottweiler
German Shepherd (specially the white ones, I had a white one)
Collies
Irish Wolfhound
Pugs (the black ones)
Pomeranians

ImmortalLowlife
01.23.2014 , 02:48 PM | #22
1. Pit Bulls
2. German Rottweiler (which I have ...his name is "Tank")
3. English Bulldog

Not really a fan of lil bitty dogs. Tank has one job....security. No potential burglar would be the least bit concerned with a Chihuahua, pug, or any small dog. But a 140lb Rottweiler gets instant respect. lol
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!

imnotawitch
01.23.2014 , 02:52 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ImmortalLowlife View Post
1. Pit Bulls
2. German Rottweiler (which I have ...his name is "Tank")
3. English Bulldog

Not really a fan of lil bitty dogs. Tank has one job....security. No potential burglar would be the least bit concerned with a Chihuahua, pug, or any small dog. But a 140lb Rottweiler gets instant respect. lol
Actually, speaking from experience, small dogs barking can wake up a family which can scare burglars into making a quick getaway. Big dogs command more respect, true, but they also have different housing requirements, and not everyone can own a big dog.
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music."- George Carlin
*Forever Shenanigans*

Technohic
01.24.2014 , 01:13 PM | #24
Pugs and boxers.

ImmortalLowlife
01.24.2014 , 02:07 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by imnotawitch View Post
Actually, speaking from experience, small dogs barking can wake up a family which can scare burglars into making a quick getaway. Big dogs command more respect, true, but they also have different housing requirements, and not everyone can own a big dog.
Possibly true, but while that lil dog is barking to wake ppl up, tank has the burgler backed into a corner crying & scared to move. (True story LOL)
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!

MidichIorian
01.24.2014 , 03:47 PM | #26
I'm from Sweden, where I believe we have a different view on dog handling compared to the States. From what i can gather it's pretty much the norm to just let the dog out into the backyard in the States. That seems to be your idea of exercising it. Looking at the amount of dog shelters in the US I'd say that you have a very vague picture of what's required from a dog owner and when it backfires you simply hand it over to someone.

So with that out of the way, when I bought my first dog I decided to look at my situation. I lived in an apartment and I didnt have time to exercise it several hours per day, something I believe most breeds deserve. So I went with a French Bulldog. I really like that breed but although I bought it from an established kennel, with a line of champions, and for a small fortune it has had a ton of medical problems. Nothing super serious but a lot of small things (thank God for insurance). The latter has to weight in when I decide on a favorite breed today.

Hence, if I were to pick a favorite breed now, in a situation where I have more time on my hands and would like to take the dog for long walks, I'd pick a medium sized or big breed. I'm leaning toward a retriver because that's a breed I'm familiar with, my parents have had three and my sister currently has one, or possibly one of the Swedish/Scandinavian breeds that generally are used for hunting. Basically a solid breed with few but wellknown medical issues. If I lived on a farm I'd pick one of the breeds that require even more exercise and stimuli, such as one of the sheep dog breeds.

StaticSilence
01.24.2014 , 04:05 PM | #27
I have a blacklab/pitbull cross. He's a dummy but very lovable. And a very handsome looking dog.

I recommend mixed breeds because they tend to have stronger genetics. purebreds tend to have physical and psychological abnormalities- and you pay a premium for the purity!

Plus mixes look more unique IMHO.
-- Guild: Gentlemen Gankers / Server: The Bastion --
Vickers, gunslinger | Deadlyburrito, vanguard | Staticsilence, commando
-- The Speyside Legacy --
"Once more, unto the breach."