Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

funkiestj
01.23.2014 , 12:02 PM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
Maybe be a bit more specific? I assume the list is of things that PVE is BiS over PVP? In that case, add Classic (61P) PVE Operative DPS 2-piece set bonus (+15% to Backstab)
yes, a list of slots or cases in which PvE > Obroan (PvP).

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

georgemattson
01.23.2014 , 03:32 PM | #172
Maybe be a bit more specific? I assume the list is of things that PVE is BiS over PVP? In that case, add Classic (61P) PVE Operative DPS 2-piece set bonus (+15% to Backstab)
Go back and read the original post; essentially just MH/OH (or your "main hand" and "off hand").

Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
PvE combinations for MH/OH are BiS for PvP. As much as it pisses me off something fierce, MANY PvE combinations are close/BIS for PvP on MHs/OHs. My surge and crit are pretty much the same across the board(19%/76%). As long as you don't sacrifice Bolstered EXP, these are more favorable than Obroan MH/OH. Here are some screens:
Crafted 58 Purples: Force Scream: 3008
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3077d8fa.png
Classic/Crafted 61 Purples: Force Scream: 3010
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4da5419c.png

I also assume Lvl 63 purples and/or a mix and match combo(69/63/61) will also be more favorable than Obroan MH/OH, but I think these screens are enough to know that Obroan weapons are not even as good as crafted 58 purples, which in turn, makes them useless outside of OWPVP. You can get crafted/classic purples at level 50 for these items and be so close to BiS, you won't have to change anything upon entry to endgame PvP.

Obroan is BiS for PvP on non-weapon, modifiable pieces. Outside of the MH/OH, Obroan does give a slight advantage in PvP, but with the cost of acquisition of Obroan, its not going to "kill you" not to be BiS, even for ranked. Please note, I switched back to my Obroan weapon to get back to my basis for a proper comparison.
Crafted 58 Purples: Force Scream: 2989
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...pse9956ade.png
Classic/Crafted 61 Purples: Force Scream: 2987
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6fa83840.png

Level 63 and possibly some other combinations might yield a similar number to Obroan, but again the number are so close, that carrying any of these are just as favorable. or you can just min/max Obroan and be done with it with no experimentation.

Obroan is BiS for PvP on non-weapon, non-modifiable pieces. I didn't compare Obroan on Ear piece, it is BiS, just barely again though (no screens, but I will if you want). I did however test Conq implants versus my Crafted Purples (which were on the basis build; Force Scream=2998). Please note, I switched back to my Obroan Weapon and Obroan Gloves to get back to my basis for a proper comparison.

Conq Implants(2EA): Force Scream: 2977
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ps80e4309d.png

So these are a clear nerf to crafted purples like these: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/500...-might-package
Which are what I have been wearing since 2.0.
Meh. Liking Age of Conan again...

eartharioch
01.23.2014 , 04:27 PM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
Go back and read the original post; essentially just MH/OH (or your "main hand" and "off hand").
? I was telling somebody who was making a list that being more specific might be helpful, I wasn't *asking* for specifics, I've been here for the whole thread (and well before that).
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

funkiestj
01.23.2014 , 04:45 PM | #174
Isn't the consensus that the PvE 2 piece set bonus for operative healer is BiS?

eartharioch
01.23.2014 , 04:55 PM | #175
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I know that the PVE 2 piece for Conc Op is BiS. But Bolster doesn't affect set bonuses, so unless there is actually a Stat advantage, we probably shouldn't include these pieces in a listing of PVE gear that is BiS *because of Bolster*.

In fact, my assumption was that using the PVE gear was a slight Stat *downgrade* justified by *how much better* the PVE set bonus is. I personally don't have the Obroan gear necessary to compare against the Bolstered PVE Stats.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

georgemattson
01.23.2014 , 05:46 PM | #176
? I was telling somebody who was making a list that being more specific might be helpful, I wasn't *asking* for specifics, I've been here for the whole thread (and well before that).
My apologies; lesson for me not to try and multi-task posting and providing tech support. Was trying to respond to funkiestj's posts asking the following:

...while putting your post inside of his.

As I read funkiestj's post, I thought he was asking for a list of slots where PvE was better than Obroan, which is clearly outlined in the first post.

So... my response should have looked like this:

snip

georgemattson
01.23.2014 , 05:47 PM | #177
That I don't know, sorry. I tend to focus almost exclusively on Sentinel, and mostly Combat Sentinel.

funkiestj
01.24.2014 , 10:53 AM | #178

mentioned in the thread but not in the first post:

Quote: Originally Posted by jboehm View Post
(For example, Bioware in their infinite wisdom removed the 15% boost to Kolto Cloud from the pvp set bonus in 2.0 so now it's only found as a pve set bonus. Therefore, it is preferable for healer scoundrels to be running a 2 piece pve set bonus for pvp.)
Cheers

L-RANDLE
01.26.2014 , 06:10 PM | #179
Decided to do a full set (less relics) perspective comparison. Each are augmented with the same allocations of overkill/might augments. No exploit pieces though.....

It's well documented that you can walk into 55 PVP with leveling gear and be perfectly viable from a stats perspective. If you need more proof here is a SS I just did today:
Here I am in damn near BiS Obroan fully augmented.

Here I am in a "cobbled" augmented PvE set.... Don't worry, I'm rich and I can gift this augmented set to my companion tank... Mind you, I and wearing Lvl 58-61 purples (pre-endgame PvE items, and not the LOL exploit ones) from planetary/classic comms, drops from FPs, and crafting. I also didn't spend any time min/maxing this as evident by my LOL accuracy rating.

The difference is less than 100 bonus damage. If I took the time to min/max it, it would be even less. The only pieces that I keep on are PvP relics, since PvE ones don't work in WZs. So yeah, I am comparing Pre-Endgame PvE gear to BIS (almost 100% Min/Max) Obroan PvP gear, and they are on par. So no more using gear as an excuse (outside of augments).

Even before they made gear effectively irrelevant, I tried to tell people gear/EXP was not why endgame is imbalanced. I would take a smasher in recruit gear over a Sage in the same gear any day of the week. Since their gear was identical in stats (for the most part), that had little to do with the differences between the two.
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

funkiestj
01.27.2014 , 11:24 AM | #180
My newborn is crying so I'll leave it at this. More observations are welcome as I reserved another front page spot to adjust anything.
Congrats on the baby! Are you raising it Empire or Republic?