Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR better than WoW?

Erasimus
01.18.2014 , 12:55 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
try any nightmare modes? even EC nightmare at lvl 55 is still a major major challenge to complete. especially under 2 hours. I'll give WoW their challenge mode dungeons, TOR doesn't have an equivalent, though lost Island pre nerf and pre Makeb was up there. hell people wipe in it, post nerf at 55.

as for GSF gear, i kept it unopened on most of my characters, but just in case. and since cargo hold space is vastly superior to WoW's personal banks (this by the way is NOT subjective, since in WoW you are limited in size by personal bags, and even the biggest available bag that tends to cost a fortune, still holds less than standard cargo hold bay) - its not like it was making it impossible to store anything else, so... I like having extra sets of moddable gear that can be used on companions or whatever, and they certainly make mod transfers between characters easier.

I loaded up the titles and paint job as well :P and I don't play GSF either. (but I gave up on pet battles very quickly as well, they started to feel like a soul crushing grind at the time when my team reached lvl 6ish? not even being able to get more vanity pets in higher level zones was enough to entice me to continue. so... to each their own again, I know of some people who LOVE pet battles and several of my guildies can be found playing GSF daily, theorycrafting best builds, etc)
Well, bank space isn't an issue for me in WoW. I have my "bankers" one Alliance and one Horde with their own guilds and guild banks. Just takes a couple of people to roll a temporary alt to sign the register I put a lot stuff I don't know if I'll ever want into "Void" storage also.
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

Lexandrous
01.20.2014 , 07:51 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Spreadpanic View Post
I'm sure that at least 75% of you have played both. Which is better in 3 sentences or less? I'm playing both currently but considering dropping one of the subs and can't decide.
WoW beats Swtor in story and character depth as even for casual players you cant help but be absorbed and effected by the characters, from race leaders to other characters regardless of faction.

For Icon gameplay and making an impact Swtor is better because wether you are loyal to your faction or just blowing through you leave a lot in your wake, be it good or bad, the hero of the hour or the one that gets things done in the shadows.

As far as gameplay and mechanics - its a tough one. Swtor is more fun but lacks the depth or random things to do as WoW.

I probably used more than 3 sentences but the above was an honest comparison of the two.

You won't find much MMOs that don't get compared to WoW.

Lexandrous
01.20.2014 , 08:05 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Better is always a personal choice.

What are your favorite reasons for playing either MMO? We might be able to help you make a pros cons list from that.
Good question.
For playing WoW it was a race choice for me.
Before creating an account I was pondering for years on if I should join.
With the release of Cataclysm and the Worgen race I joined because the race was fun to play.
Game mechanics and rotations is just something you pick up as you play the game.

For playing Swtor though tricky to describe its "your place in the galaxy" regardless of faction chosen you're given the freedom to be the person you want to be.
Its more than light and dark but things like pursuing your own agendas or service to your faction.

Swtor feels a lot like a new saga unfolding another legend being told.

Aiobhill
01.20.2014 , 08:06 PM | #94
Overall for me SWTOR is clearly better.
- the story quests are vastly superior to WoW's levelling experience
- stock UI is much better
- devs so far did an excellent job avoiding mudflation, both regarding currency and char stats
- lack of rampant botting
- the community is mostly mature and civil, random matchmaking in WoW produces an incredible amount of what seem to be rabid 13 year old school dropouts on acid

WoW is more responsive, the world is almost seamless without a plethora of loading screens, and the main cities as hubs feel more organic and immersive than the fleet.

mrfoughtforever
01.20.2014 , 08:08 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Maxeek View Post
I'm currently subscribed to both. changing them on by monthly basis. WoW is keeping me playing only because I'm in one of those top guilds. ToR is more fun, more RP in every way, the game engine sux, but if you can get by it, ToR is really great game. WoW works fine but its getting raped with every new patch by the developers. The story of ToR is pure and meaningful, the story of WoW is repetitive and abused like the new Star Trek movies. Time travel all around. Lame.
I'm in the same boat. I enjoy both games. Honestly though, if they had come out at the same time, I think ToR would have come out on top.

Lexandrous
01.20.2014 , 08:08 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Alphasgimaone View Post
If you like both equally, then perhaps the deciding factor might be that SWTOR isn't wizards and elves? I've never played WoW myself, non the less I'm still plenty sick of wizards and elves.
lol. some of the sorcerer/sage outfits come very close to Wizards/Magicians

ItachiZaku
01.21.2014 , 09:23 AM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Did you just say that WoW's lore is better than Star Wars lore?
Because SW:TOR's lore is the star wars lore...
I'm sorry, I mean it in the game play point of view, the lore is better. Anything you know about WoW lore, the Warcraft lore, is in the game. SWTOR, it is not. I never played KOTOR, so for me, I don't see Han Solo or Obi-Wan or Jar Jar. I just see people called Darth and speeders and randomly named people.
"Be careful Preston. You're treading on my dreams. "

GratuaCuun
01.21.2014 , 12:25 PM | #98
I ran into the same problem with WoW that I had with EvE and Galaxies - I felt no investment in my characters. It felt so meaningless going from place to place grinding... stuff to get better stuff. I realize that that is the very PURPOSE of an MMO but I don't seem to notice it here... or maybe I actually WANT what it is I'm grinding for! In TOR I have over EIGHT alts I want to experience every different quest and every different story and every different playstyle - I usually manage to hit lvl 55 BEFORE I get to Makeb just by TRYING everything with my INSATIABLE curiosity and incredible desire to just see EVERYTHING only one other game has come close and that was Star Trek Online - but even then it's only three alts across three different factions. I feel no desire to spread myself out across one of every class/species/spec like I do here... there's something special about this game

This is the ONLY game where I have actually ENJOYED the straight-forward crafting system. This is the only game where I've actively joined a guild despite my limited time - when I am on I regularly try to help my fellow guildies and I donate to the guild bank ALL THE TIME. Here I care because this game makes me want to care - this community makes me want to care... well, some of it anyway - a lot of the community on this forum makes me sick :P and the whining in the cbox in the game... ugh... but there ARE good people here and this is a good game, so I'll stick here

As for f2p = failure it seems to me that almost every MMO save WoW has failed then because just about everyone is f2p now - hell, at least three mmo's in production that I know of are going to be marketed as f2p and there are even rumors that TES will launch f2p at start. The market isn't there to support subscription alone anymore - f2p and cash stores are where the money is now. People don't count their pennies so much when they want awesome armor/mounts/weapons but they sure count when content has been dry and that bill for 15 bucks a month shows up
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians - George Lucas in 1988... Ironic, is it not?

Trollokdamus
01.21.2014 , 02:57 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
Anything you know about WoW lore, the Warcraft lore, is in the game.
You're wrong. WC1-3 lore (95% of it), novels and comics, even "Expanded Universe" thing on their website - none of that stuff you can see in-game.

Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Did you just say that WoW's lore is better than Star Wars lore?
Because SW:TOR's lore is the star wars lore...
And WoW lore is Warcraft lore. To me, both of them are pretty mediocre, but if you compare them to each other, they are more or less even.

kirorx
01.24.2014 , 10:58 PM | #100
I am here for the starwars so for me it's SWTOR

That being said, I tried WoW a few times and it offered a lot of cool stuff and seemed like a fun game, it's a bit too cartoonish for me and the character models for humans are pretty ugly, but it's based off the warcraft games and that was the way warcraft looked.

I am not an elves and fairies type of guy, but if I did not care either way and was just looking at gameplay alone then maybe I would go with WoW.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU