Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[Slicing] Thermal Regulators

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Slicing] Thermal Regulators

DeenaMuro's Avatar


DeenaMuro
01.18.2014 , 11:54 AM | #1
One of my Classes (Smuggler) has Slicing. I found that when I sent my companions out on the Rich Yield-Level 51-55 Tech Parts, I would get about 4 Thermal Regulators. In the last 2 weeks, I get nothing but failures. What is going on? I am spending lots of credits and coming back with failure after failure. EA, what did you do in the last patch? !!!!!!!
By the way, how do I obtain those Mission Discovery- Slicing Missions? I thought it was by sending my companions out on any Slicing gatherings. I went to the GTM and looked for Slicing Missions, there are many of them and they are asking 125K per each one? Where are those other players getting them? or have they been saving them for such as this? Please I am in need of more Thermal Regulators and the only way I can get them is either by Rich Yield or Slicing Missions, but I get nothing and my Smuggler is going broke while trying to obtain more. Did EA nerf the heck out of Slicing? By the way EA, you owe me about 40 or more Thermal Regulators. What a feakin inconvenience.

Vannaneko

MaximilianPower's Avatar


MaximilianPower
01.18.2014 , 01:07 PM | #2
Lately, I've actually had a pretty good success rate on my operative's rich 51-55 missions (Unsliceable?). Been around 33% crit rate recently (returning the regulators), and that seems a little better than what I'd been seeing before. RNG, what can I tell you. I think you're just having a bad run.

Re: the mission pricing - those level 450 purple discoveries usually bring back 6 thermal regulators, and at a price of at least 20k credits each (at least, on my server), they often pay for themselves. I don't buy a lot of them at the >120k prices, but I'll usually snatch them up if I see one listed at under 100k.

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus


Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

psandak's Avatar


psandak
01.18.2014 , 05:35 PM | #3
First question: are the missions failing completely or just not getting Thermal Regulators?

If it is the latter, the missions are not failing you are just not critting. With a maxed affection companion with +1 crit to slicing (which Risha has) your chance to crit is 21%; not very good. And since no mission result affects any other, you always have a 21% chance of critical success and a 79% of not getting a crit.

Mission failure is when you get NOTHING back. IIRC there is a 1% to %5 chance of failure depending on the "difficulty" of the mission. That being said, for a long time now (long before the last patch), I have noticed that some companions are "prone to failure"...Risha being one of them. I once had her completely fail three missions in a row . Gault on the BH and Qyzen on the Consular are others.

As for discovered slicing missions on the GTN, they are obtained by running the bountiful and rich lockbox missions: you get a lockbox and a chance for one of many discovered missions (one or two from each gathering and mission crew skill). But be warned that the Slicing discovered missions are the lowest chance to get - hence why they are so expensive on the GTN.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

MaximilianPower's Avatar


MaximilianPower
01.19.2014 , 12:01 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
As for discovered slicing missions on the GTN, they are obtained by running the bountiful and rich lockbox missions: you get a lockbox and a chance for one of many discovered missions (one or two from each gathering and mission crew skill). But be warned that the Slicing discovered missions are the lowest chance to get - hence why they are so expensive on the GTN.
Thank you for these tidbits, this makes sense. I've come across a ton of discovered missions, lots of UT, diplomacy, and such, but only a handful of slicing. Now I know why. I just thought it was bad luck, but apparently not.

Are the 450 purple slicing missions auto-crits? They seem to return thermal regs consistently, but I'm working with a very small sample size (I've only run 3 or 4 of them). Is there a chance they'll return a boatload of them?

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus


Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

psandak's Avatar


psandak
01.19.2014 , 02:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximilianPower View Post
Are the 450 purple slicing missions auto-crits? They seem to return thermal regs consistently, but I'm working with a very small sample size (I've only run 3 or 4 of them). Is there a chance they'll return a boatload of them?
Discovered missions do not auto-crit but they do provide all possible materials from that grade and more of them than rich missions. So discovered slicing missions give TRs, MBICs, Lockbox, and schematic.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

dancezwithnubz's Avatar


dancezwithnubz
01.19.2014 , 06:59 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Discovered missions do not auto-crit but they do provide all possible materials from that grade and more of them than rich missions. So discovered slicing missions give TRs, MBICs, Lockbox, and schematic.
however, you can crit a mission sheet and get extra thermal regs. i've gotten 8 from a Trade Invader sheet before.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
01.19.2014 , 09:48 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by dancezwithnubz View Post
however, you can crit a mission sheet and get extra thermal regs. i've gotten 8 from a Trade Invader sheet before.
Very true
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date