Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Would this game be better on a PVE megaserver?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Would this game be better on a PVE megaserver?

AlexDougherty
01.19.2014 , 08:37 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
The part that you failed to grasp is that the so called meagservers still struggle with all the issues that server farms do.... like servers going south, localized lag, broken mail and comms channels, etc. etc.

The only benefit derived from the virtual single server approach is never having to wrestle with server consolidations or transfers. Though don't be fooled by this... EVE for example has two megaservers (one for western nations and one for China) and you cannot transfer between them.
So no real advantage then, apart from never having to worry about the population of your particular server (I remember the threads about the Jung-Ma server), everything else would be the same. Oh well, no point even considering it really.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Aries_cz
01.19.2014 , 09:31 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
So no real advantage then, apart from never having to worry about the population of your particular server (I remember the threads about the Jung-Ma server), everything else would be the same. Oh well, no point even considering it really.
I doubt it would solve the queue problems for PvE. There is no magical server full of tanks and healers who would supplement the often bad DPS, which make tanks/heals reconsider if they should queue...
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

Blackholeskipper
01.19.2014 , 09:52 AM | #23
No way, it'll make cutscenes impossible to watch/fraps without people drawing their lightsabers or hopping up and down all around you. They should at least give you the option to mute everything that's not part of the cutscene (they let you mute background noise but then the cutscenes end up eerily quiet). Also just hearing people running towards and away from the NPC is super annoying during a cutscene.

Anosa
01.19.2014 , 12:54 PM | #24
id really rather we had a mega sever.
Meow

Savej
01.19.2014 , 04:30 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
I doubt it would solve the queue problems for PvE. There is no magical server full of tanks and healers who would supplement the often bad DPS, which make tanks/heals reconsider if they should queue...
On POT5 I have had trouble getting into things like Esseles/BT and the Czerka fps to do my weeklies - those don't require tanks or healers. Also, there are occasions where I want to run something specific, like one of the required HK fps - the wait for those can be forever. There just aren't enough people in the qs. And knowing that the wait can be a long or perpetual one, many of the people that would otherwise be in that q are not - it's a vicious circle.

CosmicKat
01.19.2014 , 05:33 PM | #26
Unlike most MMO's, TOR doesn't really suffer when there aren't a lot of people around.

By accident or on purpose, TOR PvE is designed to be played as a solo game and the vast majority of people playing it follow that design.

I think it was actually easier to get groups prior to the server merges when you might find a total of 500 people in the whole game.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."