Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does Swtor work with windows 8 or 8.1?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Does Swtor work with windows 8 or 8.1?

Cydren
01.16.2014 , 09:18 AM | #1
I got a new laptop with windows 8.1 and now the game does not work. I do not know if this is actually the problem, but the game worked fine with windows 7. Any help?
Cydren

BlackMoD
01.16.2014 , 09:42 AM | #2
My desktop has windows 8.1 running and i am able to play swtor (also worked with 8). So yes, swtor does work with windows 8.1 and 8.

What exact issues are you getting? Is it just not launching? Are there errors popping/CTD?

If you can, when ya log in try to run the repair and see if any files are missing or have been corrupted. The game will re-download these files if this is the case.
Ascension Apply Here
5/5 NiM TFB, 7/7 NiM S&V (8/16 man) & DF/DP HM (8 /16 man)
Rialus - Sage Healer (From Beyond, Eternal Warrior)
Shifthappens - Vanguard DPS (does stuff)

Bstr
01.16.2014 , 09:52 AM | #3
If the above repair does not work, try a forced repair (do all five steps, stopping after each step to see if the problem is fixed):
http://republicshammer.swtorhost.com....php?t=9864197

Also, try the Top 10 sticky at the top of the forum and see if your issue is up there.
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Jr An'val: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.
Bosat'ta: Bodyguard Merc. Bophia: Anni. Maurader Borbend: Med. Op.
<Republic's Hammer> <Reformation> Jung-Ma Server

Roalmo
01.16.2014 , 10:37 AM | #4
If it is a new computer, you probably don't have the complete dx9, only an emulated dx11 version. Need to go to MS website and get the old dx9 complete version, think it's dated june 2006 or 2010...

Cydren
01.16.2014 , 01:56 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackMoD View Post
My desktop has windows 8.1 running and i am able to play swtor (also worked with 8). So yes, swtor does work with windows 8.1 and 8.

What exact issues are you getting? Is it just not launching? Are there errors popping/CTD?

If you can, when ya log in try to run the repair and see if any files are missing or have been corrupted. The game will re-download these files if this is the case.
It closes immediately after I hit play, black screen, then back to desktop. Sometimes I get an error saying swtor has stopped working. I have run the repair several times, re-downloaded the game, run the repair again, and have tried running in different compatability.
Cydren

Bstr
01.16.2014 , 02:34 PM | #6
If the repairs do not work, try the Top 10 sticky at the top of the forum for black screen problems. You have tried some of the tips, but there are others:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...php?t=498597#4

If you still are having problems, please remember to complete the last step of this link using Spoiler tags for the DxDiag.
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Jr An'val: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.
Bosat'ta: Bodyguard Merc. Bophia: Anni. Maurader Borbend: Med. Op.
<Republic's Hammer> <Reformation> Jung-Ma Server

magecutter
01.16.2014 , 06:42 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Cydren View Post
It closes immediately after I hit play, black screen, then back to desktop. Sometimes I get an error saying swtor has stopped working. I have run the repair several times, re-downloaded the game, run the repair again, and have tried running in different compatability.
it's almost certain to be missing .dll's or drivers or both. goto the links below, download and install all of them then run windows update.

DirectX June 2010 redist

and, Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable

check your computer manufacturer for 8.1 drivers for all hardware. the drivers that came installed may or may not be up to date.

you do not need to un-install or re-install SWTOR. just reboot after doing the above and the game should launch and play.

edit: I run the game on my 8.1 laptop and it runs great.

good luck
hey little crazy person... time to go for a nice shuttle ride. - J Cobb

Burtlebe
01.16.2014 , 09:39 PM | #8
if you are running overwolf then turn it off and try. I had the same issues when I upgraded to 8.1 while runnin overwolf
Burtimus'prime Vanguard Tank
Guild Leader Army of the Republic / The Army of Darkness / The Unmentionables
The Shadowlands Server