Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get an explanation of "Sensor Focus"?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Can we get an explanation of "Sensor Focus"?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nemarus
01.15.2014 , 11:27 AM | #1
Several tactical crew companions have the passive skill "Depth of Field" which gives increased "Sensor Focus" range. But there's no indication of what this is. Is it an increased sensor range in your forward field of view?
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Armonddd
01.15.2014 , 12:41 PM | #2
There's no in-game explanation, you're right. However, I seem to recall (from a stream or something) that sensor focus is your sensor range within a 25 degree cone in front of you, or something like that.

I'm real specific, I know.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Kain_Turinbar
01.15.2014 , 12:46 PM | #3
I'm still trying to figure out a lot of stuff in regards to sensors. There doesn't really seem to be a lot of discussion on that topic compared to other aspects of GSF.

More than a few times I've been guarding a node with a careful eye towards the approach routes and been caught off guard from behind. I haven't figured out yet if behind you is a complete sensor blind spot or if you have limited range in your 4-8 range. LoS plays a part too, sometimes if a ship is behind an asteroid you can almost trip on them before you detect them while other times you see them far out even if an ally isn't near them.

Suzina
01.15.2014 , 01:25 PM | #4
I do think that the "sensor" and "sensor focus" terminology is vague and confusing.

I suspect one is about tab-targeting and the other is about red-dots on the radar/map.

Going through google, I did find this thread helpful:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=704642

In this thread's understanding, "range" and "focus" are additive, as in "You have targetable enemies in all directions within RANGE, on top of that, you see an addtional distance equal to FOCUS in front of your ship"
Member of Bane Fleet

Suzina
01.15.2014 , 01:36 PM | #5
So basically, it sounds like whoever is sneaking up on you is using a dampening based build and avoiding the front of your ship to avoid your sensor focus.
Member of Bane Fleet

TaitWatson
01.15.2014 , 01:44 PM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
So I saw this thread and wanted to see if I could find out for you. I spoke with Jason Attard, one of the senior game designers, and he had this to say:

Quote:
Galactic Starfighter ships have a sensor radius around the ship and a sensor cone in front of the ship. Increasing your focused sensor range increases the length of the cone, while increasing your sensor radius increases the size of the sphere around your ship. Things that refer to "sensor range" generally modify both the cone and the radius.

Any hostile ships in your sensor cone or sensor radius will show up in your mini map and HUD. You can also see hostile ships that your allies can sense if your communication radius and the communication radius of your ally overlap.
Tait "pariahloki" Watson
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Itkovian
01.15.2014 , 02:09 PM | #7
The very interesting tidbit here is that communication ranges work BOTH WAYS. So if your comm radius is higher, not only do you communicate the location of enemies your sensors see, but you also RECEIVE communications from further away.

This makes communications about twice as useful as I thought they were. Very nice.

Nemarus
01.15.2014 , 02:21 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TaitWatson View Post
So I saw this thread and wanted to see if I could find out for you. I spoke with Jason Attard, one of the senior game designers, and he had this to say:

Thank you Tait and Jason! Might I suggest that this information be put into the tutorial help tips for GSF at some point?
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Armonddd
01.15.2014 , 02:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TaitWatson View Post
This is great. Thank you.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

DroidDreamer
01.15.2014 , 02:51 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Itkovian View Post
The very interesting tidbit here is that communication ranges work BOTH WAYS. So if your comm radius is higher, not only do you communicate the location of enemies your sensors see, but you also RECEIVE communications from further away.

This makes communications about twice as useful as I thought they were. Very nice.
Indeed, if your comm range and the comm range of your ally overlap, you can see enemies as far your ally can see. That's neat! A well-placed starfighter with full comm sensors at mid could be quite and asset for enemy spotting for the whole team.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.