Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P restrictions.

JMESUN
01.11.2014 , 04:23 PM | #21
Look on the bright side at least they didnt restrict bolster to subs
░█╣╣╣█[]█╠╠█On that one shot, one kill, bringer of FATE!

Treeba
01.11.2014 , 04:43 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Rankyn View Post
However, you still get the occasional post from someone who feels F2P is unfair to those players but mainly it's because they themselves want to stop paying for a subscription but still have access to everything they did as a subscriber.
I think you see it more from people who play a lot of F2P games and then try this one out. It's pretty restrictive and some of the restrictions are just silly. I mean you're really going to ask people to pay to hide their helm or unify colors? Obviously that's not crucial to gameplay, but it's still a really petty (very EAish) thing to charge for. It's hard to go from a sub to preferred and still play this game. Especially if you've played around with the Rift F2P system. It's much much better.

I enjoy certain aspects of this game, but their F2P system isn't one of the strong suits.

Jeweledleah
01.11.2014 , 10:23 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
I think you see it more from people who play a lot of F2P games and then try this one out. It's pretty restrictive and some of the restrictions are just silly. I mean you're really going to ask people to pay to hide their helm or unify colors? Obviously that's not crucial to gameplay, but it's still a really petty (very EAish) thing to charge for. It's hard to go from a sub to preferred and still play this game. Especially if you've played around with the Rift F2P system. It's much much better.

I enjoy certain aspects of this game, but their F2P system isn't one of the strong suits.
this basically. tried both f2p and "buy to play, subscription optional" games.

and personally, I'm absolutely ok with a lot of the features being paid for. what i'm NOT ok with some of the basic features (like, oh - opening quest rewards) being restricted to subscription only. and no, they need not be free. but they SHOULD be unlockable, just like hide head slot and unify colors and artifact equipment and more FTN slots and all the crew skill slots and weekly operations pass etc etc etc - are unlockable.
it doesn't need to be full access for nothing. but there SHOULD be flexibility to said access. adding escrow purchasable with cartel coins was a step in a right direction IMO.
I understand why they may not want to give preferred/f2p access to certain features or at least reduce effectiveness. I don't like some of them, given my experience with other MMO's but I can to a degree understand. vendors being more expensive? is fine. getting your speeder piloting 10 levels later? again, absolutely fine. only 3 companions able to go out and no crew skill que? again - fine. mailing just one item instead of 8? also fine. restricting quest rewards? wut?

Andryah
01.12.2014 , 12:29 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
I think you see it more from people who play a lot of F2P games and then try this one out. It's pretty restrictive and some of the restrictions are just silly. I mean you're really going to ask people to pay to hide their helm or unify colors? Obviously that's not crucial to gameplay, but it's still a really petty (very EAish) thing to charge for. It's hard to go from a sub to preferred and still play this game.
You are ignoring a very important aspect though..... all of those features people carp about needing to unlock as freemium/F2P are all readily available for credits from other players off the GTN in this game.

Now.. for a brand new.. truly F2P account.. that's not easily in reach.. but for a veteran (not even a long in the tooth in terms of play time either) that wants to downshift from sub to preferred.. it's a cake walk these days. Seriously.. I've already got the "conversion kit" in storage on one of my characters that will unlock every unlockable feature or restriction and I purchased it all from the GTN. And I got them all at discount prices too as I was patient and shopped for bargains. This includes a boat load of 600K escrow transfers too (around 40 Million credits worth). So., while I plan to continue to sub, I can flip the switch any time and see almost no loss of access to features. The mail restrictions is really the only thing I would bump up against, and even that is manageable.

TL;DR the approach to freedom as preferred/F2P is a bit different in this game then other games, but it is in fact reachable without a long term subscription (2-3 months of sub, and moderate play, is all you would need) and no need for Cartel Coins either (other then to unlock Collections, which even subs have to do). You just need a plan and work the plan.. and you can flip over to preferred with almost zero impact.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Zorvan
01.12.2014 , 12:41 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Seriously.. I've already got the "conversion kit" in storage on one of my characters that will unlock every unlockable feature or restriction and I purchased it all from the GTN.
Could you post your "conversion kit" by chance? I'd like to prepare for my next trip to the Preferred Land.

Mowermanx
01.12.2014 , 12:41 AM | #26
You cant really water down the sub any more without waking an even bigger giant.

Jeweledleah
01.12.2014 , 02:22 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
Could you post your "conversion kit" by chance? I'd like to prepare for my next trip to the Preferred Land.
make sure bellow is account wide - ends up cheaper in a long run

artifact equipment unlock, section x, hide head slot, unify colors, companion customization, crew skill slot, insert how many you need here skill bars unlock, guild vault access, display titles (legacy and regular) I think that's it actualy. not sure about cargo hold unlock - I'm reasonably sure prefered get it regardless, but I'm going to test it out just out of curiosity. I used to have event equipment authorization, but it seems to no longer be needed.
oh and stock up on passes for your preferred activity - operation passes are definitely needed if you raid, flashpoint passes - only if you run those daily.

that said - before you can buy those on GTN - someone had to have purchased them from cartel shop, so bioware still makes money.

I do still think that there should be at least one time unlock for quest reward boxes. slower leveling and slower rep gain and slower crew skills are noticeable and could be bothersome as are higher vendor prices, but if you are going preferred temporarily or becasue you have less time to play or whatever else - its certainly manageable. you get used to it soon enough. not being able to accept/open quest rewards? THAT is extremely annoying and it shouldn't be the main incentive to subscribe. even mail restriction is nothing compared to it (since as preferred, you can still use mail, it just takes longer and costs negligibly more to mail things around). IMO subscription vs pay as you go should both be equally valid.

Zorvan
01.12.2014 , 02:27 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
make sure bellow is account wide - ends up cheaper in a long run

artifact equipment unlock, section x, hide head slot, unify colors, companion customization, crew skill slot, insert how many you need here skill bars unlock, guild vault access, display titles (legacy and regular) I think that's it actualy. not sure about cargo hold unlock - I'm reasonably sure prefered get it regardless, but I'm going to test it out just out of curiosity. I used to have event equipment authorization, but it seems to no longer be needed.
oh and stock up on passes for your preferred activity - operation passes are definitely needed if you raid, flashpoint passes - only if you run those daily.

that said - before you can buy those on GTN - someone had to have purchased them from cartel shop, so bioware still makes money.

I do still think that there should be at least one time unlock for quest reward boxes.
Thanks. And yeah, preferred have to unlock cargo holds. And I've never understood blocking quest rewards of any kind. Especially those boxes, as they're mostly just vendor trash green/blue anyway.

Jeweledleah
01.12.2014 , 02:30 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
Thanks. And yeah, preferred have to unlock cargo holds. And I've never understood blocking quest rewards of any kind. Especially those boxes, as they're mostly just vendor trash green/blue anyway.
ah, good to know. the only account I have currently as preferred is my SO, and he got his cargo holds grandfathered from his month of subscribing. haven't rolled any new characters there since.

edited to add, sometimes those boxes contain the only quest reward. it maybe like 300 credits or whatever, but you are still essentially denied a quest reward. bleh.

edited again, oh yeah, forgot something important. character slots. you don't get them grandfathered, so if you want to play more than 6 - you need to unlock them

Zorvan
01.12.2014 , 02:36 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
ah, good to know. the only account I have currently as preferred is my SO, and he got his cargo holds grandfathered from his month of subscribing. haven't rolled any new characters there since.
Actually, I think the hold itself is unlocked for preferred now that I think about it, unless I unlocked it way back and forgot about it because it was unlocked on new characters back when I was on preferred. Preferred can only buy additional cargo space with cc or unlocks, though.