Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P restrictions.

Jeweledleah
01.10.2014 , 11:23 PM | #11
the only f2p restriction I disagree with is boxes. you know quest rewards and artifact boxes from crew skills (or slicing boxes)

it seems like a complete overkill to restrict them to subscribers only.

if you don't one completely free accounts to have all the fun, fine make them purchasable unlock, like most other restrictions. I just vehemently disagree with it being limited to subscription only. its quest rewards. they are cardinal part of the game. they should at least be unlockable with authorization, ala hide helmet, unify colors etc options

Einobi
01.11.2014 , 02:04 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Cordarn View Post
So first off there really is no difference between preferred status and free play status aside form you have access to three or four more things. Further more, is that a lot of the restrictions placed are down right ridiculous.

Restrictions like these:
-Most emotes are blocked, this I don't understand.
- Credit cap, putting a credit cap (not to mention a pretty low credit cap) is absurd. Its like putting a cap on how much air you can breath. Seriously you can't buy much cool items like the cassus fett armour or varactyls with 350k or anything on the gtn unless its lowgrade gear.
-having to wait a period of time between each message you send in general chat, now this is just annoying and doesn't make a lick of sense.
-Increased vendor and modification removal prices, not only do you have a low amount of money because of the credit cap but now they are increasing prices so you run out of money faster!
-Xp reduction, your reducing my how fast someone can level now?
That only list some.

Come on Bioware, put on some reasonable restrictions and remove the boneheaded ones.
Surprised that the rich elitist defenders are all keeping quiet. Let me recap for you what they have said in the past regarding such related issue: (Top 10 Elitist Replies of a SWTOR defenders)

(1) "Don't like the game? DON'T play it."
(2) "Can't afford a sub? You are doing it all wrong when you should have better spend your time earning income elsewhere instead of spending time here in the game."
(3) "Get a job." (same as (1) and (2) to imply that you should get lost from the game)
(4) "Freeloaders likes to complain."
(5) "Someone on the dole can easily pay a sub. What the else you making noise here?"
(6) "My sub is paid for in 15 mins time spent on my job. What's your problem?"
(7) "If people were to stay off their ciggy and booze, they would have paid for their sub." (I am surprised they didn't mention drugs. Bet they are putting f2p/preferred in the same category as drugs addict in their mind.)
(8) "It is SO WRONG for EAWare to earn a profit. SO WRONG."
(9) "When you want to speak about the GAME. Let us know." (Oh, do we have to buy a weekly pass to speak with you about the GAME? Your majesty?)
(10) "ITS A GAME" (implying you should NOT treat the game so seriously like us the sub who trivialize it as nothing more than a GAME. What is $15 sub? I blew more of it on a single movie trip or a meal. You are wasting my time reading your rants.)

Should sticky the above replies so that we can save a lot of bandwidth as it will be reused every time similar queries of this sort pops up.

VulgarMercurius
01.11.2014 , 10:04 AM | #13
[QUOTE=Einobi;7104481] IWANT EVERYTHING FOR FREE! NOT JUST PART OF IT! ONLY GIVING ME A BIT OF SOMETHING FOR FREE IS LIKE SPITTING IN MY FACE AND KIDNAPPING MY MOTHER. BIOFAIL IS TEH DEVIL INCARNATE /QUOTE]

FTFY

branmakmuffin
01.11.2014 , 10:08 AM | #14
Yet more "F2P are hosed" trolling.

Boring.

VulgarMercurius
01.11.2014 , 10:10 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
Yet more "F2P are hosed" trolling.

Boring.
This is my first ftp restrictions thread, so I'm a little amused at the absurdity.

AlexDougherty
01.11.2014 , 10:12 AM | #16
You get what you pay for, if you pay nothing you can't complain about what you are getting.

The restrictions are designed to let you play the game while encouraging you to sub so you don't have to put up with the restrictions, if you don't like this............Tough.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Hassat-Hunter
01.11.2014 , 10:41 AM | #17
Preferred player here, just being sub for 2 months due to the 1 month free promo (and don't wanting to wait for GSF ).

I completely disagree with everything stated here. Actually, I feel sorry for the people spending 15 dollar a month on this game, since their sub gives SO little additional value compared to us pref. players. I know many pref players ingame, and they get around just fine, doing fp's, operations, endgame content, all with spending just one month sub or $5 for becoming pref.

Since unlike what's stated F2P and Pref. makes a MAJOR difference. Mailing 1 item or being able to trade alone makes a lot of difference, the extra free char slots, the +150k credit cap.
Aside from that, everything subs get, we can get. They give us more and more, while taking more and more from subs. And still some people say F2P is unsufferable and sub is the only way to play? Quite the contrary.

-Most emotes are blocked, this I don't understand.
So what? Can't say I even use most of them, besides maybe /thanks
- Credit cap
2.1 introduced escrow deduction, since then... it's a non-issue completely. Even without, it's not that hard for a pref. player to get around with, say, 2 million.
-having to wait a period of time between each message you send in general chat, now this is just annoying and doesn't make a lick of sense.
Again, I don't care. Why would I. I only sometimes call for operation groups, and there's no need to spam them. The limit is enough to have regular conversations too. Overall, it's a complete non-issue. And non-existant where it matters (group, guild, private).
-Increased vendor and modification removal prices
Only for old vendors. Apparently newer vendors the prices are equal. Why? BW laziness? Ignorance? I don't know... but more and more this isn't even true anymore.
-Xp reduction
Being a completionist, I much prefer pref XP than sub XP, that makes you outlevel content very rapidly. Really based on preference, but I've seen enough subs who wouldn't mind lower XP, and funnily enough the only option BW gives them is not giving BW money.

They even gave us fleet passes recently, greatly reduced the quick-travel time (no more 2 hours base). FP passes are useless since the restriction is broken. There's talk PvP becomes infinite for free players.
Yes, it's a bad time to be a subscriber...

Rankyn
01.11.2014 , 10:54 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by VulgarMercurius View Post
This is my first ftp restrictions thread, so I'm a little amused at the absurdity.
Then you truly missed the glory days of the F2P launch when these threads were much more prevalent and had declared the absolute failure of the F2P system before it launched.

Now, to be fair, there was some decent feedback here and there at the beginning and they made a few tweaks without giving away the whole game, but I think the fact that they've loosed even more of the restrictions over time is an indication of just how successful it's been since they feel that they can give more away without making a significant impact on the bottom line.

However, you still get the occasional post from someone who feels F2P is unfair to those players but mainly it's because they themselves want to stop paying for a subscription but still have access to everything they did as a subscriber.

Infernixx
01.11.2014 , 11:38 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Rankyn View Post
Then you truly missed the glory days of the F2P launch when these threads were much more prevalent and had declared the absolute failure of the F2P system before it launched.

Now, to be fair, there was some decent feedback here and there at the beginning and they made a few tweaks without giving away the whole game, but I think the fact that they've loosed even more of the restrictions over time is an indication of just how successful it's been since they feel that they can give more away without making a significant impact on the bottom line.

However, you still get the occasional post from someone who feels F2P is unfair to those players but mainly it's because they themselves want to stop paying for a subscription but still have access to everything they did as a subscriber.
This bears repeating. It's a bit exciting that they're loosening up F2P restrictions as that means they're not only 'able' to do so, but they're making enough money to make it worth their while to throw something to the F2Pers in order to draw more people into the game.

TOR: F2P! Now with unlimited Warzones!

Makes me smile just thinking about what could be coming in 2014.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

EzioMessi
01.11.2014 , 03:41 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
This bears repeating. It's a bit exciting that they're loosening up F2P restrictions as that means they're not only 'able' to do so, but they're making enough money to make it worth their while to throw something to the F2Pers in order to draw more people into the game.

TOR: F2P! Now with unlimited Warzones!

Makes me smile just thinking about what could be coming in 2014.
Have they mentioned when yet? As far as I remember they teased in in the 2.4, but any added news, patch notes, ETA, since then?
Jung Ma - The Assassino Legacy <Dark Legion Empire>
Aetios - Level 55 Sentinel