Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P restrictions.

Cordarn
01.10.2014 , 09:20 PM | #1
So first off there really is no difference between preferred status and free play status aside form you have access to three or four more things. Further more, is that a lot of the restrictions placed are down right ridiculous.

Restrictions like these:
-Most emotes are blocked, this I don't understand.
- Credit cap, putting a credit cap (not to mention a pretty low credit cap) is absurd. Its like putting a cap on how much air you can breath. Seriously you can't buy much cool items like the cassus fett armour or varactyls with 350k or anything on the gtn unless its lowgrade gear.
-having to wait a period of time between each message you send in general chat, now this is just annoying and doesn't make a lick of sense.
-Increased vendor and modification removal prices, not only do you have a low amount of money because of the credit cap but now they are increasing prices so you run out of money faster!
-Xp reduction, your reducing my how fast someone can level now?
That only list some.

Come on Bioware, put on some reasonable restrictions and remove the boneheaded ones.
What do you mean they shot a torpedo into the core?!?

letmeinbeta
01.10.2014 , 09:24 PM | #2
how much have you paid for the up keep of the game, new content, the employees, the hourly team members who work CS, NONE. So pay your 50 cents a day and QQ

TravelersWay
01.10.2014 , 09:43 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Cordarn View Post
So first off there really is no difference between preferred status and free play status aside form you have access to three or four more things. Further more, is that a lot of the restrictions placed are down right ridiculous.

Restrictions like these:
emotes are completely unnecessary in the game, so why not have freebies pay for the privilege of using them?

- Credit cap, putting a credit cap (not to mention a pretty low credit cap) is absurd. Its like putting a cap on how much air you can breath. Seriously you can't buy much cool items like the cassus fett armour or varactyls with 350k or anything on the gtn unless its lowgrade gear.
Goldfarmer deterrent.

-having to wait a period of time between each message you send in general chat, now this is just annoying and doesn't make a lick of sense.
Same as above. Of course it isn't a complete stop gap measure, but SWTOR has always had the least amount of goldfarming scum noticeable than any other MMO I have played.

-Increased vendor and modification removal prices, not only do you have a low amount of money because of the credit cap but now they are increasing prices so you run out of money faster!
Helps to maintain the value of the sub, and not atypical of many other Freemium and F2P games. Even Rift, which has one of the most lenient Freemium models charges extra for store purchases for non-patrons.
Level Syncing Compromise
Legacy Skills Suggestion to eliminate the need for Legacy Datacrons
Bidding a fond farewell to all my forum friends and enemies alike, as well as to all my in game pals - c ya in the next great adventure!

Corsiero
01.10.2014 , 09:54 PM | #4
You want the benefits of a subscriber? Subscribe. You want to be a beggar and have your cake too? Go find cake somewhere else.

ShadowsNIte
01.10.2014 , 10:01 PM | #5
You're looking at it wrong.

Subs get bonus access to additional emotes.
Gold farmers can't use F2P accounts for farming.
Gold farmers can't spam chat every second(not that they can't spam regardless, just not as frequently) with F2P accounts.
Subs get a bonus reduction to vendor and item modding prices.
Subs get a bonus exp gain.

What else you got?
REGULATORS
Brute-Might Shadowlands

EzioMessi
01.10.2014 , 10:05 PM | #6
For God's sake people. If you want to write condescending posts about F2P, write them in the third person and stop referring to the OP as "you" or "beggar" or what not. He can post in forums == he has subbed.

OT: As mentioned above, the credit cap and General chat post cap is to frustrate gold farmers. It obviously won't stop them completely, but it encumbers them. This is also why trade, mail, GTN, whisper, etc are blocked out to pure F2Pers (easily removable by a simple $5 purchase).

Emotes are just fluff. Doesn't matter if F2Pers get 'em or not.

I actually agree with nearly all the F2P restrictions. Except for the one restriction, Artifact Equipment. It crosses the fine line between P2Fluff and P2Win. I would actually have been happy if they had maintained the Event Gear restriction and removed Artifact gear restriction.

Other than that one thing, no, F2P restrictions are fine.
The Harbinger - The Raider Legacy
Aetios - Level 65 Sentinel

cpt_fishcakes
01.10.2014 , 10:21 PM | #7
Never understood the gripes about swtor's F2P, you get a level 1 to 50 single player game free. Thats not bad at all. If you want to go beyond that pay up, its a product not a hand out.

Erasimus
01.10.2014 , 10:26 PM | #8

Restrictions like these:
That only list some.

Come on Bioware, put on some reasonable restrictions and remove the boneheaded ones.
It is not a free game, nor is it a public service of some sort. It is free to play at a very basic level so that if you enjoy the game you will spend money either by subscribing or buying perks.

EA/Bioware is not a charity, it is a publicly traded company that is in business to make money. IMO, making the game really pleasant to play as a free player wouldn't help fund the game nor make EA/Bioware money.
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

EzioMessi
01.10.2014 , 10:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by cpt_fishcakes View Post
Never understood the gripes about swtor's F2P, you get a level 1 to 50 single player game free. Thats not bad at all. If you want to go beyond that pay up, its a product not a hand out.
Actually you get EIGHT single player games for free. With about 20 different alternate endings in total.

That's a lot of free play time if you ask me.
The Harbinger - The Raider Legacy
Aetios - Level 65 Sentinel

BrintoSFJ
01.10.2014 , 11:11 PM | #10
Hello there, this is my 1st post in this forum and for some reason i have decided to post on a controversial topic. I was f2p just 14 days ago, all the things OP mentioned; these restriction made perfect sense to me. but things that did not make any kind of sense to me are :
1. f2p/preferred can't accept lock box/credit box from any quest reward except for crew missions.
2. f2p has only 2 quickbar.
3. pay to hide head slot.
4. pay to show title/legacy name.

Rest of the restrictions i understand completely. let's talk about those i mentioned above; even though many people before me raised question about those(i am frequent forum reader) but still let's discuss.

1st restriction : this restriction is just plain ugly, how much advantage those lock box or credit box provide to subscriber? after i became sub and now that i can take those lock boxes and credit boxes, i can see how worthless they are; anything they drop are found easily everywhere. more importantly these are quests rewards, when we complete a quest and all the rewards are lock boxes and we can't accept any of them because we are f2p/preferred it looks and feels ugly and disgusting. this restriction serves no purpose but to annoy players. it is even worse for returning players.
2nd restriction : monetizing quickbar? really? i am not going to name and shame here. but every piss poor excuse of mmorpg that are coming out recently; they come out with minimum 6 quickbars; just a few days ago one such game went into OBT and it has 8 quickbars; and they are not monetizing those quickbars. quickibars are standard ui feature every modern mmorpg must have and monetizing quickbar when the game itself only has total 6 is just low and petty. it is simply disgusting. i said it when i was f2p and i will still say it now that i am sub.
3rd restriction : it is also a simple ui feature in every piss poor mmorpg and Bioware is monetizing this feature. sigh..my conclusion toward this is same as 2nd restriction.
4th restriction : same as 2nd and 3rd.

These should never been a part of f2p/preferred restriction. these are just plain ugly and show of poor business practice. i understand all other restriction and i totally support other restrictions but these i can never support even being a sub now. it will be great publicity and also great treat to returning players if Bioware were to remove these lowblows.