Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Male Oricon Consular Voice

AlixMV
01.10.2014 , 01:48 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Merwanor View Post
I find it hilarious when people complain about a voice for a Jedi lacks emotion.... The first phrase in the Jedi code is.... There is no emotion, there is peace....
That's fine if you play a 100% Light Side male Jedi Consular, but emotionless doesn't work when the player is playing him Dark Side.

And yet that's still how the lines are delivered.

This isn't a diss on Nolan North. If anything, I suspect it was the VA director asking him to do that with the idea that Jedi=Serene and having a tin ear on how it would come off for anything other than that one note.

(It's also not the only time I've heard that kind of thing. Mark Meer as BroShep in ME1 was similar, but he grew beyond the flat delivery in the sequels. The difference with the m!Consular in the content beyond the core game may be due to a similar change in direction.)
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Diyanna ~ Annifryd
Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee ~ Lor'rysi

Solzean
01.10.2014 , 02:03 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Merwanor View Post
I find it hilarious when people complain about a voice for a Jedi lacks emotion.... The first phrase in the Jedi code is.... There is no emotion, there is peace.... This is also why I never felt so put off by the more static parts of acting by Hayden in the prequels. Because they are trained to not show emotion, but when he does, he really does show emotion... They are like animals! and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!!

But haters gonna hate....
The problem is that when you look at all of the other Jedi they too show emotion in their voices. The idea of no emotion seems to be more you dont act on emotion. You inevitably still have them and accidentally display them pretty consistently. I understand your point, but I dont think any other Jedi actually do it like the Consular does. Hell, Yoda shows more emotion in his words and he is one of the greatest consular of all time.

Reno_Tarshil
01.10.2014 , 02:18 PM | #23
I didn't notice a change in his voice.
Supposed Member of "The Forum Apologist 5!" According to "The Reno_Tarshil Forum Fan Brigade!"
Quote:
I like Tacos.
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free Tacos.

Projawa
01.10.2014 , 02:36 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
Interesting. I've noticed some changes in the voices post Chapter 3. The inquisitor is definitely different, more gravelly, more drawn out. However, I don't think it is a different voice actor.

But honestly, a voice actor is simulating a voice as much as portraying a character. If they aren't getting good direction and a lot of time is elapsing between recordings there can be significant differences despite the talent remaining the same.

You guys do know that voice actors aren't like the crop we see in the latest pixar movie? You know, where Tom Hanks plays a character and uses that Tom Hanks voice? Those aren't voice actors, Billy West is a voice actor.

- Arcada
Agree, a lot of getting good voiceovers comes from a good director/producer. You can't just throw the actor in the booth and tell them to start talking. It takes proper direction and support so they have a contextual idea of what the writers are going for. I noticed the female consular sounds a bit different in the newer stuff compared with chapter 1-3 even though it's the same actress. Could be a number of factors like microphone setup, having the flu that day, bad director, etc. I also noticed that the smuggler actress sounds a bit flat/depressed on Tatooine.

Nydus
01.10.2014 , 02:44 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Projawa View Post
Could be a number of factors like microphone setup, having the flu that day, bad director, etc. I also noticed that the smuggler actress sounds a bit flat/depressed on Tatooine.
I hope they are smart enough to have a decent setup (and the game does rake in millions a month so they have no excuse for low budget studios). Honestly, I think if you don't tell an actress or actor the context of what they are saying you can get some weird results. It isn't bad, but I almost imagine someone handing the talent a list of 50 lines to say and going (read them! we can only afford you for an hour!).

"We meet at last." -> So who am I talking to? Is this a friend? Or an enemy my character wants to kill? JUST SAY IT TICK TOCK TIME IS MONEY!

"Which character am I again, I voice several." -> I DUNNO, THE WRITER IS GONE! HEY, STOP IT WITH THE BOTTLED WATER, YOU GET ONE ONLY ONE!

The inquisitor voice is quite well done, and an evolution of the voice isn't completely unreasonable. It might not be noticeable except for the fact that they use stock responses so often. I can sort of tell what has been recorded at release, and what has been recorded post release.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Darth_Wicked
01.10.2014 , 03:03 PM | #26
I hope they are smart enough to have a decent setup (and the game does rake in millions a month so they have no excuse for low budget studios). Honestly, I think if you don't tell an actress or actor the context of what they are saying you can get some weird results. It isn't bad, but I almost imagine someone handing the talent a list of 50 lines to say and going (read them! we can only afford you for an hour!).

"We meet at last." -> So who am I talking to? Is this a friend? Or an enemy my character wants to kill? JUST SAY IT TICK TOCK TIME IS MONEY!

"Which character am I again, I voice several." -> I DUNNO, THE WRITER IS GONE! HEY, STOP IT WITH THE BOTTLED WATER, YOU GET ONE ONLY ONE!

The inquisitor voice is quite well done, and an evolution of the voice isn't completely unreasonable. It might not be noticeable except for the fact that they use stock responses so often. I can sort of tell what has been recorded at release, and what has been recorded post release.

- Arcada
Can you tell me where the "Get out of my sight" line for the male Inquisitor comes from? Still wondering ever since the game was first released.

Karkais
01.10.2014 , 03:07 PM | #27
Interesting. I've noticed some changes in the voices post Chapter 3. The inquisitor is definitely different, more gravelly, more drawn out. However, I don't think it is a different voice actor.
- Arcada
Its the same for sure, but the differences are possibly because oricon voices were done relatively recently compared to original game voiceacting long time ago.
"Welcome to Dromund Kaas, where freedom goes to die and legends are forced on the galaxy."
- Vette

Manweth
01.13.2014 , 09:49 AM | #28
After David Hayter, every other main char VA feels very lacking.
Manw, Former Vigilance Player and Guardian Advocate.
Former Raider. Eternal Revan Fanboy.
Nothing else matters at this point.

OddballEasyEight
01.13.2014 , 09:59 AM | #29

- Arcada
Actually, alot of voice actors work from home so it is their own equipment. And if the VA for the consular changed his equipment since last time it might have made a difference...
Apparantly I have multiple accounts. And apparantly I argue with myself on those accounts.
http://www.swtor.com/r/6S24xq free stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-...roj4L9Q/videos my blaster sound videos.

Ancaglon
01.13.2014 , 10:00 AM | #30
I too have not noticed a significant change for the Male Consular on Oricon. I do recall thinking that in the post-level-50 stuff sounded as if he'd gotten a cold from all the running around on Hoth and Ilum.