Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Male Oricon Consular Voice

Merwanor
01.10.2014 , 10:43 AM | #11
I find it hilarious when people complain about a voice for a Jedi lacks emotion.... The first phrase in the Jedi code is.... There is no emotion, there is peace.... This is also why I never felt so put off by the more static parts of acting by Hayden in the prequels. Because they are trained to not show emotion, but when he does, he really does show emotion... They are like animals! and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!!

But haters gonna hate....
The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.

redsovereign
01.10.2014 , 11:21 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Merwanor View Post
I find it hilarious when people complain about a voice for a Jedi lacks emotion.... The first phrase in the Jedi code is.... There is no emotion, there is peace.... This is also why I never felt so put off by the more static parts of acting by Hayden in the prequels. Because they are trained to not show emotion, but when he does, he really does show emotion... They are like animals! and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!!

But haters gonna hate....
I didn't hate ever, I don't understand where this idea is that I "hate" Nolan North's voice acting in Vanilla because that is very far from the truth.

I merely said that I preferred the new one and I've listened to it now through Oricon storyline, it's different in that it's a little more low key, there is a little of a "imperial" almost accent in the dialogue and it's a far less robotic.

If you listen to Kenobi's voice acting esp in The Clone Wars he does have a lot of emotion. The greatest example being his resentment towards Darth Maul and how he tries to remember his teachings to not let his anger with Maul become a personal vendetta.
The Jedi Code has never been about "don't have any emotions whatsoever" but rather about "being the master of your emotions" AKA being in full control never losing that control and act out in violence, anger, fear or selfishness.

A great Jedi Master can't always be on the correct path because as a human you will always have doubts but what a great Jedi Master can do however is that he/she can focus and not let their emotions control their choices instead of logic.

There's a name for ppl without emotions and it's called psychopaths.

Even great Jedi battles everyday with control when you no longer battle with control then you might just be individual that needs to be sent to a mental institute before you hurt someone

Star Wars is easier because there is always the right and the wrong path, unf reality is not as black and white and there is where the Jedi teachings flaws is
"Mandalorians Don't make threats. We make promises."

Blackholeskipper
01.10.2014 , 11:48 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by redsovereign View Post
The Jedi Code has never been about "don't have any emotions whatsoever" but rather about "being the master of your emotions" AKA being in full control never losing that control and act out in violence, anger, fear or selfishness
Yea, pretty much this. I think too many people misinterpret the line "there is no emotion, there is peace" and think it means jedi are supposed to be emotionless robots. That's where all the justifications for the consular's "emotionless" voice acting comes from.

redsovereign
01.10.2014 , 12:11 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackholeskipper View Post
Yea, pretty much this. I think too many people misinterpret the line "there is no emotion, there is peace" and think it means jedi are supposed to be emotionless robots. That's where all the justifications for the consular's "emotionless" voice acting comes from.
Exactly, the code is an idea that followers of the Jedi strives for but that's all it is. Even in the Star Wars world everyone have human traits thus you can't be 100% on their chosen path because it's simply impossible unless you have a mental disorder which allows you to get obsessed by one topic.

You an further this by saying; are you left or right in politics? Even if you are voting for a specific politic party you won't agree 100% with their views because there is no organisation that is 100% like you individually.

The only ppl that do agree 100% with something are ppl with mental disorders ppl that chose to follow a church that kills its followers or the ppl who chose to follow Charles Manson and commit terrible crimes.

In real life we vote for the organisation or person that represent most of the ideas and dreams that we want to reach taht doesn't mean that we will agree on everything that person is speaking about unless it's a one question political party.

Even most light sided characters in the Star Wars world question their teachings or the Jedi code, the actions of their master because most of them are not blind followers (even though the Jedi technically are a religious cult).

And even so the masters doesn't always follow the code either, for example Mace Windu who instead of calling upon the Jedi Council chose to face Palpatine by himself and act out in violence. Master Yoda has also went against the code several times and so have Anakin , Qui-gon, Kyle Katarn and Ahsoka.

Nydus
01.10.2014 , 12:36 PM | #15
Even most light sided characters in the Star Wars world question their teachings or the Jedi code, the actions of their master because most of them are not blind followers (even though the Jedi technically are a religious cult).
Well, lets call a spade a spade: the Jedi Code is wrong. The Jedi are a religious cult that follow an impossible and backwards dogma.

The Sith Code is much more in keeping with human behaviour as it can be used to justify pretty much anything.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

redsovereign
01.10.2014 , 12:48 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
Well, lets call a spade a spade: the Jedi Code is wrong. The Jedi are a religious cult that follow an impossible and backwards dogma.

The Sith Code is much more in keeping with human behaviour as it can be used to justify pretty much anything.

- Arcada
Well... The Sith code goes too far in the other direction. While it embraces emotion it also tells you to follow your and remove yourself from empathy and conscience.
You're angry at your best friend? Hit him in the face till he begs you to stop, then continue to hit him more instead of reason and compromise.

Your other friend doesn't want to go and see the new Arnold movie? Hit them until they gives in and goes to the movie with you.

The Sith code is about you and you only and your removal of empathy and compassion and thought for others feelings and you enforcing your ideas and goals with violence.

You are always the one in the right you deserve this power and those who do not agree will perish

ikinai
01.10.2014 , 01:00 PM | #17
The Jedi code was loosely based on Taoism, Buddhism and bushido code. Which of course there are some cross purpose ideals in each. While similar ideals, they don't always match up. Now, why is the voice acting the way it is? The director most likely asked them to be contemplative and introspective, as this is the class that is considered to be the archivist or historians of the Jedi order. They spend a great deal of time in meditation. Have you ever talked to someone who spends a lot of time meditating? Neither have I, I generally fall asleep a few minutes in. One of the few I did not fall asleep listening to was the Dalai Lama, he does indeed have a keen sense of humor, most meditationists however do not have the enlightened view he has.
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School

redsovereign
01.10.2014 , 01:06 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ikinai View Post
The Jedi code was loosely based on Taoism, Buddhism and bushido code. Which of course there are some cross purpose ideals in each. While similar ideals, they don't always match up. Now, why is the voice acting the way it is? The director most likely asked them to be contemplative and introspective, as this is the class that is considered to be the archivist or historians of the Jedi order. They spend a great deal of time in meditation. Have you ever talked to someone who spends a lot of time meditating? Neither have I, I generally fall asleep a few minutes in. One of the few I did not fall asleep listening to was the Dalai Lama, he does indeed have a keen sense of humor, most meditationists however do not have the enlightened view he has.
Still the Jedi characters in movies, cartoons, tv series are much more fun to listen to to Nolan North. I have great respect for Nolan and as I said it's not that I really dislike it, but comparing it to the other voice actors in the game I rate it the lowest.

The new one I like really much

ikinai
01.10.2014 , 01:12 PM | #19
Still the Jedi characters in movies, cartoons, tv series are much more fun to listen to to Nolan North. I have great respect for Nolan and as I said it's not that I really dislike it, but comparing it to the other voice actors in the game I rate it the lowest.

The new one I like really much
It was the directors choice, the actor is just following orders
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School

redsovereign
01.10.2014 , 01:22 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ikinai View Post
It was the directors choice, the actor is just following orders
Prob yes

And the new one is much better :P