Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Male Oricon Consular Voice

redsovereign
01.10.2014 , 09:39 AM | #1
Ok

So... this is a new voice actor right because it sounds nothing alike the original one.

Actually I think the new one sounds much better because there is actually some emotion put into the voice work instead of the robot from vanilla SWTOR.
Or maybe it is the old one just that he delivers the lines differently and with a new tone in his voice?

I hope this voice actor is here to stay
"Mandalorians Don't make threats. We make promises."

MillionsKNives
01.10.2014 , 09:50 AM | #2
I always think it's funny how much everyone seems to dog on the male consular's voice, when Nolan North does the voice for some really iconic video game characters. He is in pretty much everything. And yet the consular is considered by many to be the worst voice over in the game.

Damask_Rose
01.10.2014 , 10:05 AM | #3
I don't mind the male consular. It's the female that sounds like she is heavily medicated.

Unity 3d tutorials
Friends referral for free character transfer and unlocks

OddballEasyEight
01.10.2014 , 10:09 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
I always think it's funny how much everyone seems to dog on the male consular's voice, when Nolan North does the voice for some really iconic video game characters. He is in pretty much everything. And yet the consular is considered by many to be the worst voice over in the game.
Just because someone is a good voice actor, doesn't mean he is great every time.
Just like a great actor is not great in every movie.

_biddan_
01.10.2014 , 10:10 AM | #5
i don't understand why people dislike that voice, i liked it a lot, fits the jedi perfectly.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Caesar Legacy
Legacy lvl 50

redsovereign
01.10.2014 , 10:15 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
I've really nothing big against the original by Nolan. The only problem I have with it is that because it lacks emotion (I do understand it's because you are in control of your emotions) it becomes dull to listen to and your character feels more like a robot then a personality.

Even Satele and have some different emotive states going on when you interact with her and for me it's much easier to feel attached to a character that can allow him/herself some emotive state because that is human for me.

I think Nolan does a great job with the dialogue for what it is but I don't necessary agree that being in control of your emotions = being a robot.

What always made me like Kenobi a lot from the Clone Wars series was that sometimes he could feel regret, passion, sorrow and sometimes he could be on a personal vendetta.

That's my only complaint with Nolan, his voice work leaves little to character development (it's a little better when you go gray and sometimes dark) and the new one is really great because there is some different tones and emotions going on when delivering the lines.

redsovereign
01.10.2014 , 10:15 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
I don't mind the male consular. It's the female that sounds like she is heavily medicated.
I really love the female (I think I'll roll a female Shadow later). She sounds kinda cocky and like a "wise a-ss" to me

MillionsKNives
01.10.2014 , 10:17 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Just because someone is a good voice actor, doesn't mean he is great every time.
Just like a great actor is not great in every movie.
True. My consular is a female, so I will refrain from giving my opinion on how good it actually is.

Aries_cz
01.10.2014 , 10:35 AM | #9
As a Consular since Day 1, I claim that Nolan's voiceover is pretty awesome. Yes, it is very emotion-free at times, but you can tell that there are emotions there.
As for Oricon, I did not notice any change in the voice, so it is either Nolan again, or some really good imitator...
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

Nydus
01.10.2014 , 10:35 AM | #10
Interesting. I've noticed some changes in the voices post Chapter 3. The inquisitor is definitely different, more gravelly, more drawn out. However, I don't think it is a different voice actor.

But honestly, a voice actor is simulating a voice as much as portraying a character. If they aren't getting good direction and a lot of time is elapsing between recordings there can be significant differences despite the talent remaining the same.

You guys do know that voice actors aren't like the crop we see in the latest pixar movie? You know, where Tom Hanks plays a character and uses that Tom Hanks voice? Those aren't voice actors, Billy West is a voice actor.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)