Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

Aries_cz
01.08.2014 , 02:43 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
You don't get it - there was no asker. This wasn't Q&A.

This was Trivia time - Eric asked the question, and then gave a prize to the person who answered correctly in his mind.

That right there spoke more volume about how they view story than anything else they said that night.
Oh well, sadly, I have not managed to get to any Cantina Tour yet (there was just one in Europe last year and I could not get there), so I have no idea how it looks in there or what questions are asked and how.

That does seem really weird, and I would love to hear Eric's reply to this. Have the canon been modified so that what ZionHalycon is saying is true?
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 02:47 PM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
So what you're suggesting is actually "double dipping" kinda right? Sell an "expansion", but withhold the quests to sell them at a later time...or...sell the "expansion" with just enough quests that it qualifies as an "expansion", followed by selling the NEW quests later on, individually, in the CM?

I guess I just don't understand how you think selling them would be worth any real $ on the CM. If they sell an "expansion" and don't have new quests, people will be furious. If they then sell quests, or even just "better quests", people would again be furious.

I don't see where the payout is for Bioware in this scenario? All they would end up doing is shooting themselves in the foot by releasing the crap quests with the "expansion" and then double dipping on that expansion by trying squeeze more out of a few...wouldn't they just be better off charging more upfront for MORE content?

The part I simply don't understand is how your idea makes Bioware MORE money?

I think I should break this down a bit.

Quote:
So what you're suggesting is actually "double dipping" kinda right? Sell an "expansion", but withhold the quests to sell them at a later time...or...sell the "expansion" with just enough quests that it qualifies as an "expansion", followed by selling the NEW quests later on, individually, in the CM?
In a sense but not quite. Would you be happy paying for an expansion like Makeb again? That had zero class stories. What if the devs decided to go back and add, again over the course of a year, class stories to Makeb? All the assets are there, they just create a questline for one of the professions and then sell it?

Its a lot like that. The people that don't want the class stories don't have to have them. They can just buy another makeb-like expansion.

Quote:
I guess I just don't understand how you think selling them would be worth any real $ on the CM. If they sell an "expansion" and don't have new quests, people will be furious. If they then sell quests, or even just "better quests", people would again be furious.
Does Makeb have quests? Why wouldn't the expansion have quests? The Expansion just wouldn't have class quests, JUST LIKE MAKEB. Post Expansion, you can allocate a small team that worked on it to create class quests, one at a time, on the same expansion planet you just released.

And people in this very thread already said they'd pay for them too - thats the bottom line for a company, isn't it - to make money?

Quote:
I don't see where the payout is for Bioware in this scenario? All they would end up doing is shooting themselves in the foot by releasing the crap quests with the "expansion" and then double dipping on that expansion by trying squeeze more out of a few...wouldn't they just be better off charging more upfront for MORE content?

The part I simply don't understand is how your idea makes Bioware MORE money?
The problem lies in development. It takes time and waiting on class quests to get done, even if you charge more for it, would cause the expansion itself to be delayed. However, if with Makeb as the shining example, you can sell and expansion that has no class stories, again just like Makeb, and then have a small team work on adding class stories unlockable from the cartel market post expansion launch, thus bringing in money on top of the expansion money, then you don't have to slow down production of the expansion, and by releasing the class stories over time one class at a time, you don't overtax your development staff or tie them up with something you might be afraid won't pay off in the end. Instead, you get DIRECT feedback on the viability of this because once you create a questline from the existing expansion assets and put it up for sale, you'll be able to track sales and see how it does. Really, its no different than what they did using Cathar as a test for future species.

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 02:48 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
Oh well, sadly, I have not managed to get to any Cantina Tour yet (there was just one in Europe last year and I could not get there), so I have no idea how it looks in there or what questions are asked and how.

That does seem really weird, and I would love to hear Eric's reply to this. Have the canon been modified so that what ZionHalycon is saying is true?
No worries, just wanted to lay out the context for ya. Sorry if I came off harsh.

Callaron
01.08.2014 , 02:49 PM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
As for Malgus, I assumed this was a dumbing down of the mechanics, because some people are obviously dumb to use their knockbacks or the conveniently located concussion grenades.
As for Revan, nothing was mentioned or stated about him, it is possible that he is recuperating somewhere and reacquiring his followers.
That's what I assumed; well that and the fact that Malgus often bugged up - and even ten knockbacks in a row wouldn't push the stubborn old bastard over the ledge.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 02:51 PM | #135
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
That's what I assumed; well that and the fact that Malgus often bugged up - and even ten knockbacks in a row wouldn't push the stubborn old bastard over the ledge.
Ah, I remember they finally fixed the issue with him. Then several months later they made this as a stealth change.

Callaron
01.08.2014 , 02:56 PM | #136
Ah, I remember they finally fixed the issue with him. Then several months later they made this as a stealth change.
I'm not so sure that original fix fully did the job, I could've sworn I still had it happen after they implemented that - but I can't say for sure since I've only run the FP a handful of times since the raising of the level cap.
Common mobs sometimes have similar issues too when they get knocked off something, so I suspect they gave up on the whole thing and just went with the simplest (and surest) way of permanently whacking the issue.
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 02:58 PM | #137
I'm not so sure that original fix fully did the job, I could've sworn I still had it happen after they implemented that - but I can't say for sure since I've only run the FP a handful of times since the raising of the level cap.
Common mobs sometimes have similar issues too when they get knocked off something, so I suspect they gave up on the whole thing and just went with the simplest (and surest) way of permanently whacking the issue.
Lol, I miss the old bug of letting Malgus kill himself

Callaron
01.08.2014 , 03:00 PM | #138
Lol, I miss the old bug of letting Malgus kill himself
I don't think I've ever gotten that one. =/
What did he do? Jump to a player and go over the edge? (Like some Marauders and Sentinels do now and then in FPs )

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 03:06 PM | #139
I don't think I've ever gotten that one. =/
What did he do? Jump to a player and go over the edge? (Like some Marauders and Sentinels do now and then in FPs )
You have 3 players stand near the ledge of the bridge, while the tank, takes him diagonally from your position to another pit section.

Get the distance right, and Malgus would jump from the tank to another party member and "slip" into the pit and BOOM, instance over, get your reward and go home

Oh, and I did exactly what you said once - as a warrior, I forceleaped to an enemy and halfway there, an inquizzy knocked the enemy into a pit. There i go changing direction in mid air and down the pit I go!!!!

I never laughed so hard at dying before...

Callaron
01.08.2014 , 03:16 PM | #140
You have 3 players stand near the ledge of the bridge, while the tank, takes him diagonally from your position to another pit section.

Get the distance right, and Malgus would jump from the tank to another party member and "slip" into the pit and BOOM, instance over, get your reward and go home

Oh, and I did exactly what you said once - as a warrior, I forceleaped to an enemy and halfway there, an inquizzy knocked the enemy into a pit. There i go changing direction in mid air and down the pit I go!!!!

I never laughed so hard at dying before...
Ah, that's pretty much what I envisioned!
Hehe, as for the jumping... you're not a real Warrior/Knight until you go over the edge because of a leap & knockback combination at least one time!
I know exactly how you felt. When it happened to me my reaction was pretty much "OMG! I always KNEW that one day this would happen to me too!" - definitely one of those hillarious moments to look back on.